OT: - The Story of the Boston Christmas Tree | The Boneyard

OT: The Story of the Boston Christmas Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's been an awful year in so many ways. So I thought I'd share this twitter feed telling the tale of why a Christmas Tree is sent to Boston from Nova Scotia every year. You may know the story, you may not, but I hope it reaffirms some faith in our basic shared humanity at a time when we need it most.

On December 6, 1917 two ships collide in Halifax Harbour. Sparks. Fire. Black smoke. People watch from windows. Children walking to school run to the shoreline. One ship is carrying relief supplies for war-torn Belgium. The other is laden with 2.9 kilotons of explosives.

The explosion and subsequent tsunami levelled everything within 1.5 square miles. The blast shattered windows 60 miles away. Fishermen off the coast of Massachusetts said they heard the boom. The ship’s anchor landed 2.3 miles away.

1,600 people died instantly. Another 400 within days. Children never made it to school, never returned home. Shrapnel wounded thousands, blinding those who stood in windows watching the blaze. When a blizzard hit the next day, 25,000 were without shelter.
Doctors and nurses pour in from neighboring provinces. Doctors and nurses rushing toward danger. Familiar then. Familiar now. Still, Halifax needed more help.

When word reached Boston, details were scant. Governor Samuel McCall offered assistance immediately via telegraph, but dispatched a train before receiving a response. When an official in Halifax first read this letter from the Governor, he broke down in tears.

A relief committee in Boston raised the equivalent of $1.9 million within an hour. The people of Massachusetts sent the equivalent of $15 million in total to support relief efforts. Immediate and unconditional support.

Less than 12 hours after the explosion, a train left Boston with doctors, nurses, and supplies. The train was the first of many shipments of medical personnel and supplies that arrived from New England. Neighbors concerned for their neighbours.

Canadian Forces in on Twitter: "This tree from Nova Scotia is now in Boston Common. The Nova Scotians send one every year. Why? https://post original url/T0iCbPoEh5" / Twitter

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It's a great story. You just cut off the top line which gives the year - 1917. They've been sending a tree since. That's amazing!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's a great story. You just cut off the top line which gives the year - 1917. They've been sending a tree since. That's amazing!

I thought I had typed that it (editorial license). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom