The Storrs Address | The Boneyard

The Storrs Address

Reaction Score
97 Scores and 2 coaches later we are once again the talk of the college football world. Not such a good look these days. It used to be good stories of the Cinderella and fastest rising football program. For good and bad. Not even a decade in! They didn't sell out the Fiesta bowl? A lot of guys are getting drafted! The stadium is off-campus and small. Both sides of the fence had plenty to talk about. The buzz was real. Pouring that on top of the hot lava our basketball program was, we were at the top of the college sports world in general discussion. From Dan O throwing the dang ball into the back of my Grandpa's F-150, to DJ Shoemate fumbling on that early drive. From thumping South Carolina to getting thumped by Oklahoma.

We unfortunately took that buzz and hired a bad AD with 2 bad football coaches. No need to say anything more. So here we are today. Clearly hurting financially. Struggling on and off the fields and courts. The fan base is shrinking and very pessimistic towards it all. The bleeding needs to stop. We have a new president coming in. Complete wildcard. Benedict has had some good and some bad moments but he has shown he is willing to play if anything.

The time has come for all of us posters, lurkers, and loyal Boneyarders to grab this by the horns. No one else will. Seriously, no one else. Were all going to drop the nonsense. All fans on here no matter the sport need to collectively just put a pause on it. All the narratives need to just end.

The boneyard has everybody. It has high level donors who mostly lurk and post little. A lot of mid level donors and season ticket buyers. It has the t-shirt fans and national audience. Students and regional fans. Everyone needs to stop the nonsense, come together and think of a collectively agreed upon path for UConn as the Boneyard. Put that in a practical and factual written proposal for UConn and then submit it to the school via internet and social media paths with names and the Boneyard officially supporting it. The people who post and read this site represent a large percentage of the money the AD brings in and I imagine a significant portion of the overall donations as well non corporate. If we speak as one they will have to listen. We are to big of a segment of the UConn world at this point for them no to.

I'm not really sure what this should be, and what it looks like. The biggest question is the AAC TV contract. I think $8mm is a huge jump, but possible. We should have 2 paths:
1) if the deal is $8mm or higher 100 percent stay in AAC
2) if its under $8mm then go to Big East and float football elsewhere is a serious conversation.

I'm not sure if $8mm is that number of $6mm or $9mm or what it is. Not sure. At some number going BE and indy is a path. If it is a path we need to be on, a way out of the box unique vision needs to be proposed in doing so. Really both paths we create vision wise need to be crazy/unique if a decent AAC deal happens that media options are limited way more, but still. As a collective group, we need to tell the school we will support something vision wise no matter the uphill battle it may bring. The school needs to know if it chooses what we vision that it will have our backs in the fight.

I want to read legitimate posts from Whaler, Biz, Viper, Zls, Nelson and literally a thousand others of you .... we need something. Entirely fresh and ballsy. The boneyard is a beautiful thing for good and for bad. We have enough internet savvy here to put out some better propaganda than some 3rd world countries. TCF would be rich in Somalia if those damn pirates had him on their side.

The reasons I post here tonight is many. We all eat, sleep and breathe UConn. That's the bottom line. But if things continue as is, we all stand to lose more than just Connecticut athletics. Another Whalers story for this region. Its bigger than that the school, it still has math class on Tuesday. We stand to lose all that is holy in our lives. The Boneyard itself.

This post is for the better in all of us. Its in the celebration of uconnhenry's april fools day joke. Its for those that caught confetti in Texas. Those that rode the 437am trains home out of GTC year after year. Those couple Kent St fans who had to watch a ton of savage, angry and drunk students tear down goalposts at any cost that cold November day. Its even for jalapeno mac n cheese kid.

Its for Ellis Snyder. Its for Jeffny. Its for Alana and Ryan. Its for so many past present future. Its for pride. We don't have a lot to crow about around here that has our state name on it.

Now this is not a makers muppetpost. Its not Butch after fine rolled joint either. Its not a DogMania review, a view from section 241, nor a yankeeghostconference hitting the sleds thread. This is a do or die. At the end of the day, its a Boneyard talk. A everything Connecticut viewpoint from a small corner of the internet world. I cant have that die. I'll stand up and put my two hands on something. Anything idea wise we need to be one voice and one vision. We need everyone. Journalists around the state who want the rest of their careers to have some decent level of UConn sports being apart of it. We need our fans back, interested and active. Bring back fortre and his rant after Pitt took us down that one night. Bring back huskyfandaniel and all the other fallen soldiers of the Boneyard. What do we have to loose?

One you get to this point, take a deep breath and throw your pink hat. Maybe have a Rolling Rock. Call your cell phone from your other cell phone. What ever it is you do, do it for 20 minutes before posting up a reply.

I will take almost any idea or thought with a reasonable vision. About the only thing I will absolutely say no to, is if anyone thinks Blue&White kid should put a shirt on. Thats a no deal from me. I refuse to sit down and shut up at this point.

#HuskyUp

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Aintnobodygottimeforthat.gif

i like the passion.

if you put me in charge these are the calls I’d make:

1. To ACC/ESPN if we kill the football program would you let us join as 16 in all other sports.

2. To MAC/Big East - Can we put out football program (bring UMass for 14) in the MAC and move everything else to Big East

3. If those both fail: I cut mens hockey and the max number of other sports to stop some bleeding and then play chicken with hartford. the block funding makes it tricky - but if you arent going to fund us explicit dollars to play fbs football than mbb and wbb arent setting foot in the xl center

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
1549775748713.png

"Hokay, time to post on the Boneyard"​

Reaction Score
Dropping football down a class and going to the BE is surrendering. McCauley’s answer to the Nazis was “nuts”. That is my answer. I am against surrendering! I would rather go down fighting for UConn to stay strong.
Did we surrender when! Well you know the rest.
It goes against my nature to go crawling to the BE ( mistake #1 selling the BE name and all the records with it. We earned those records.
I think if they had not gotten the name would the “Catholic7” be a so called p6?
Would we be so anxious to join?

Reaction Score
^^^^^
Just blowing steam off. I am against any attempt to move football to a lower division or joining the Catholic7. Is that plain enough for you.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

1. To ACC/ESPN if we kill the football program would you let us join as 16 in all other sports.
You'd have to ask what the allocation of the media contract would be for "all other sports" (essentially, just basketball.) I suspect most would be pretty disappointed with the number.

Reaction Score
i like the passion.

This may well be the single dumbest post in boneyard history and that, my friends, is quite the feat.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This may well be the single dumbest post in boneyard history and that, my friends, is quite the feat.

thanks buddy. lets hear your winning ideas!

Reaction Score
Since you think dropping football then trying to join a league where all the schools play,well football, which by the way generates most of the league’s revenue the standard is pretty farcical. I’d drop all sports to D3 and petition NEWMAC to take us. I like the NESCAC better but we aren’t small. Of course neither is Tufts really and Hamilton is in New York so they might consider us. NEWMAC seems more likely though.

Reaction Score
Since you think dropping football then trying to join a league where all the schools play,well football, which by the way generates most of the league’s revenue the standard is pretty farcical.

Even if they bought the idea (they wouldn't) we would be the ACC's crippled step child in perpetuity, not good.

Reaction Score
Dropping football down a class and going to the BE is surrendering. McCauley’s answer to the Nazis was “nuts”. That is my answer.

That was Gen. Anthony McAuliffe at Bastogne. Although I'll give you it is entirely likely that a guy named McCauley said "nuts" on at least one occasion. Don't know about the Nazi part.

Reaction Score
You'd have to ask what the allocation of the media contract would be for "all other sports" (essentially, just basketball.) I suspect most would be pretty disappointed with the number.

If football makes up 80% of the media payout...you could be looking at 6.25% (1/16th of conference) times 20% of the conference payout.

That would be $418 million in revenue X .20 X .0625....

or $ 5,225,000

Notre Dame got $5.8 million on 1/15th...so, pretty close.

Notre Dame Collects $5.8 Million From ACC Deal

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do think it optimistic to believe that UConn would fare better than the Irish in a similar deal.

And Notre Dame brought five football matches a year as a sweetner.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since you think dropping football then trying to join a league where all the schools play,well football, which by the way generates most of the league’s revenue the standard is pretty farcical. I’d drop all sports to D3 and petition NEWMAC to take us. I like the NESCAC better but we aren’t small. Of course neither is Tufts really and Hamilton is in New York so they might consider us. NEWMAC seems more likely though.

so youve got nothing. cool. thanks.

we’ll put you on a monitoring station.

mets already is in charge of sitting by the big ten bat phone....

butch has the tinfoil hat that captures all the secret manuvering...

you can be on floog and dood duty.

Reaction Score
Would the BE be more "fun" to watch as a fan? Yes.

Would it make the MBB program better? I don't think there is evidence of that. As of today we have the 16th ranked incoming class. How is that possible if the program is on life support? Assuming that Hurley can coach and that he can continue to bring in top 20 classes, I have very little concern for the MBB program.

To me it is just about fixing football. And if the new AAC deal gives us $5M more a year, to make up a number, and we put ALL of that $5M into football coaching - that pretty much gets us where we need to be from a financial standpoint - on par with today.

None of us know how much of the ~$30M deficit (ignoring student fees) is tenable in for the AD to run in the long-term. We know there is no requirement to run it at breakeven - so what is that marketing value, etc? IDK - and maybe they would be ok running at a $20M deficit. You'd have to look at the entirety of the budget to understand. Could you find $10M without crippling the AD? Probably. They don't appear to have tried very hard.

I want to be in the ACC/B12/B10 etc - but I'm not sure that the AAC = death.

Also - do we know if the severance payments for Diaco, etc - were in the $40M loss number? Or any other big one-time bad guys?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom