The Sporting News Preseason Poll | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Sporting News Preseason Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
can you imagine the mass hysteria out of knoxville if miami should beat them? oh lordy that would be priceless.

I only watched Miami play once and it was a game against UNC in the ACC tournament (the semi-finals, I think). Needless to say, that wasn't an impressive performance by Miami. I hope Miami is ready to play in Knoxville. I do expect the 'canes to have success scoring against Tennessee, much like other teams with good guards did last year. I don't know how good Miami is at stopping teams from scoring.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I was bullish on ND last year and I'm bullish on them this year. I do think ND will miss Becca, though. She brought interior toughness and underrated interior passing ability. She set some tough screens. Neither Peters nor Achonwa bring the same type of toughness. Still, basketball is a guard's game and ND's trio of starters have good size, can shoot from the perimeter and are a handful in the lane. McBride is back and she and Miller will be very good off the bench.

I wouldn't put ND at #1, but definitely top 3. We'll learn a lot when ND and Baylor play, as expected, in the finals of the preseason NIT.
So, Schrader is back? My recollection is that she was a red shirt, but I also was under the impression last year was her finale. Or had she already left the prior year -- my memory may be that bad. And I don't follow ND that closely, I guess (though I do predict Novosel will get more recognition as an elite player this year).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I only watched Miami play once and it was a game against UNC in the ACC tournament (the semi-finals, I think). Needless to say, that wasn't an impressive performance by Miami. I hope Miami is ready to play in Knoxville. I do expect the 'canes to have success scoring against Tennessee, much like other teams with good guards did last year. I don't know how good Miami is at stopping teams from scoring.

I was at that game... and yes... it got ugly quickly. UNC was on fire that week.... and they attacked Miami's weakness last year...Which was the lack of interior size. Miami can score on just about anyone..... and they love to play uptempo. Not sure how that will change with the addition of Wilson though. They arent a tough defensive team.. though they do get alot of steals. The addition of Wilson will help shore up their interior defense however.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So, Schrader is back? My recollection is that she was a red shirt, but I also was under the impression last year was her finale. Or had she already left the prior year -- my memory may be that bad. And I don't follow ND that closely, I guess (though I do predict Novosel will get more recognition as an elite player this year).

Your memory is failing you a little bit. Lindsay Schrader graduated in 2010. Becca Bruszewski graduated in May and is the only player ND loses from last year's team. Kayla McBride (a guard) was a freshman last year and left the team mid-year to address some personal issues. She's back on the team. I think McBride is a good player. Novosel was the Big East's most improved player last year and I expect she'll have another good year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
E williams is a pretty decent freshman? where's the sarcasm emoticon? lol. she's a beast and i don't know how many kids are on the end of season AA teams, but it wouldn't surprise me to see her make a 3rd team or get an honorable mention. i think she starts right away over Vernery don't you?

can you imagine the mass hysteria out of knoxville if miami should beat them? oh lordy that would be priceless.

I'm with Eric. Williams is as good a recruit as Duke has had, including Brit Hunter. She will finish as one of the top 3 women to call Cameron home. I expect her to be All-ACC 4 times, at least if they have 10-player teams.

tigger

LSU Tigger
Reaction Score
I applaud your enthusiasm for your team and respect your knowledge of the kids, which is admitedly much more vast than those of us who don't follow every kid closely. I also respect your opinions on your players and your team, but I just think size may present an issue at times. I wish you best of luck and, incidently, I'm not a UConn fan. So if you want to wish me or my team some good luck, please give some love to LSU...we can use it.:)

Have your opinion. As someone who has actually followed both Braker and Wright I think you underestimate them because of what I have to assume is Hoopgurlz lack of evaluation.

Braker had an ACL injury and stayed off the AAU circuit after. Hoopgurlz didn't rank her, Blue Star and ASGR did...both around 40. She had an additional knee surgery (clean-up I believe) last year that kept her from breaking rotation. If she did it would have meant ND had a 11 man rotation in the fall and 9 man in the Spring. Have never seen MM do that.
Wright is more interesting. Averaged 16pts, 15 reb her senior season in Iowa. Her team's last lost was to Stokes' Lin Mar by 3pts two years ago in the state final. Since then it was Wright's Des Moines East team that went undefeated, ranked #1 from beginning to end, and won the state title. Wright was the MVP of the tourney. Every mention of the top players in Iowa mention Stokes immediately followed by Wright. Pretty much unanimously described as tough, aggressive, likes contact, physical etc. As an ND fan am thrilled that MM has compared her to Bruiser on more than one occasion and think she is going to fill that toughness void. Also when Hoopgurlz offered thier combined rankings with BS and ASGR she came in around 50 even though she wasn't ranked by one of the three.

After ND graduated 4 starters in 2010 and MM claimed that last years team was better most were skeptical. They were indeed better. Same could be true of this team. Achonwa outrebounded Bruiser in less minutes and will out score her as well when they increase. McBride is back too. I'll allow for the same type of improvement that most fans attribute for their team and players to also be true of mine.

I think ND is probably top 5 regardless of what will transpire during the season. ND could have more losses in conference and not win the BE. They don't have a favorable schedule having to play all of the expected top 5 on the road. None of that really matters. They are going to be a tough out for anyone in the NCAA and can't imagine them being a preferred opponent.

Good luck this season. Looking forward to seeing KML and hopefully a healthy recovered Doty.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I applaud your enthusiasm for your team and respect your knowledge of the kids, which is admitedly much more vast than those of us who don't follow every kid closely. I also respect your opinions on your players and your team, but I just think size may present an issue at times. I wish you best of luck and, incidently, I'm not a UConn fan. So if you want to wish me or my team some good luck, please give some love to LSU...we can use it.:)
wew (most of us anyway) love LSU on this board. anyone who has a chance to beat tennessee scores big points in our book. plus, Sylvia Fowles is an Honorary Husky. that girl got game!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was at that game... and yes... it got ugly quickly. UNC was on fire that week.... and they attacked Miami's weakness last year...Which was the lack of interior size. Miami can score on just about anyone..... and they love to play uptempo. Not sure how that will change with the addition of Wilson though. They arent a tough defensive team.. though they do get alot of steals. The addition of Wilson will help shore up their interior defense however.
I believe Wilson is the center who used to play for Pitt but transferred to Miami? i saw her as a freshman in the BET. i thought she was good even then - raw but good. big body. strong, decent mobility, etc.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
people in general always try to find analogies to try to make their point. i think many would agree that Maya's value to UCONN last year was similar to Jordan's value to the Bulls when they were at their peak. however, i think your point is well taken that the kids who come to play at UCONN are on a much steeper learning curve. every player improves in one way or another. While Maya was great - Jordanesque, i think other players had a tendency to stand around and wait for her to do something.

in fact, that's exactly what happened in the first half of the NC game vs. STanford the year before and it wasn't until Maya started making some plays that the rest of the team started making plays too. but as Mil pointed out, i think, i foresee everyone on the team being forced to step up and take on more to replace what was lost with Maya's departure.

Agree with the rest of the team relying on MM. Not only that but imho we were an entirely different team when CD was lost. That was really the turning point for us and while we were still pretty much unbeatable, a bad night or two was bound to happen. So having CD back and 3 extremely high quality helpers should better fill MM's void.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm with Eric. Williams is as good a recruit as Duke has had, including Brit Hunter. She will finish as one of the top 3 women to call Cameron home. I expect her to be All-ACC 4 times, at least if they have 10-player teams.

The last time I've been this excited about an incoming recruit was 2003 and Hunter. I thought she was the missing piece that would help us claim the 2004 title. Alas it didnt exactly pan out that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom