OT: The Sopranos 20th Anniverary | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The Sopranos 20th Anniverary

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Upon a million rewatches (including this week as HBO2 is playing a season a day) you realize that it actually may be a comedy series.

The one-liners can hit you hard. It definitely has funny moments.

As for the "best of" convo, I haven't watched some of the shows people discuss, but my list is The Wire, Sopranos and Breaking Bad, in some order. Might depend on my mood.

Reaction Score
I kno Ray Donovan is on showtime and ozark is on Netflix. I just meant shows in general nowadays. Thx fir the correction lol

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

As a Seinfeld savant, I hate the last 2 seasons and the finale.

Do I blame them? Eh, not really... they did almost everything they could do in that show, comedically. But it does sting a bit.

I don’t hate the Sopranos finale, but I understand the hardcore fans who watched it live and were peeved.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
As a Seinfeld savant, I hate the last 2 seasons and the finale.

Do I blame them? Eh, not really... they did almost everything they could do in that show, comedically. But it does sting a bit.

I don’t hate the Sopranos finale, but I understand the hardcore fans who watched it live and were peeved.
Thats when Larry David left. No coincidence

Reaction Score
Nope.

Its a flat out genius ending too. And all the clues from all the episodes leading up to it tell you exactly how it ended.

I love that Chase didnt pander to the lazy who need things in neat bows without thinking.
He did feel the need to explain it at some point afterwards tho, I’ll see if I can find it. It confirms what I and probably most of us had surmised.

Maybe it was controversial at the time, but I’ve always thought it was so absolutely perfect. It left me freaking gobsmacked watching it live. I still think of it with awe creeping up in my mind.
That's part of the lore now though. And I like it better the more time has passed.

And no one posting in this thread can hear "All That You Dream" or "Don't Stop Believin'" without thinking of it.
Journey and the Sopranos will never not be connected for me. Starts to give me the chills every time if I let it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I put The Sopranos over The Wire as I believe the unbelievable sequences in each show were more believable in the former. I thought The Wire was great, but using the ridiculous after-hours drinking scenes with Jimmy and Bunk to advance the narrative lowered my opinion of the overall writing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
About a year ago I tried to start watching Sopranos. Made it 3-4 episodes through season 1.

Never watched it while it was on air and it just seemed like I was going too far back in time.

Consensus is Tony got whacked in finale as scene fades to black?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Sopranos were victorious. There were no consequences for anything any of them did, down to Meadow playing bumper cars outside the diner.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
This is pretty good. Though the Tony Sirico parts kinda make me sad.

Reaction Score
I put The Sopranos over The Wire as I believe the unbelievable sequences in each show were more believable in the former. I thought The Wire was great, but using the ridiculous after-hours drinking scenes with Jimmy and Bunk to advance the narrative lowered my opinion of the overall writing.
What was ridiculous about the Bunk and Jimmy drinking scenes?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What was ridiculous about the Bunk and Jimmy drinking scenes?

Unrealistic. If you know cops and you know drunks and you know drunk cops, that's not how it works.

Reaction Score
Unrealistic. If you know cops and you know drunks and you know drunk cops, that's not how it works.
How so, I'm genuinely interested? They would just shoot the sh ^t after work drinking and looking to get laid. I know a lot of drunks like that. I don't know a bunch of cops but the cops I do know are pretty much like that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
How so, I'm genuinely interested? They would just shoot the sh ^t after work drinking and looking to get laid. I know a lot of drunks like that. I don't know a bunch of cops but the cops I do know are pretty much like that.

Not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the heavy drinking till incapacitated stuff where they drive out somewhere, throw bottles around and generally act like 15 year olds after their first bottle of Southern Comfort (and get back in their cars and show up for work the next day not much the worse for wear). Far too much of that. The stuff inside bars I can accept.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Rewatching Sopranos. Season 3, Episode 1 is one of my favorite episodes of any show ever.
I've been rewatching it the last few weeks or so. Tony Soprano is the greatest TV character of all time. What a show. So many iconic moments

Reaction Score
I've been rewatching it the last few weeks or so. Tony Soprano is the greatest TV character of all time. What a show. So many iconic moments
Been saying that forever. He's the best character in the history of TV and film, IMO. The writing is excellent but I give all the credit to Gandolfini, nobody else could've pulled off that character as well as him.

Reaction Score
We’re just kinda on a perpetual rewatch of the Sopranos and Mad Men at this point. If we can’t figure out something else to watch, we’ll just flip on one of those two

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom