OT: The Sopranos 20th Anniverary | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: The Sopranos 20th Anniverary

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I need to re-watch the series, it's been two years. What I remember most about the show is, unlike some other great shows, they never took an episode off.

Reaction Score
I started rewatching the series in July. I’m now on my 2 time through since then (third time overall). It’s amazing how much I missed the first time watching the series. You pick up more on subtle lines and plot points.

I highly recommend people re-watch the show again or watch it for the first time. It truly is the greatest tv show of all time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Too many episodes felt like homework to me. But I did like it at the end when everyone was getting whacked.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm rewatching Peaky Blinders and the family/extended family and switching alliances owes a lot to The Sopranos that I find unmistakable (yet entirely well-done).

For the most part, Peaky Blinders is a fiction, so the writers can do whatever plots they want. A big part of PB's fiction is they moved the era up 20 years so it comes after WW1 and they basically substituted PTSD for bad parenting among the brothers/sisters and Roma roots for the "old country".

Reaction Score
I'm rewatching Peaky Blinders and the family/extended family and switching alliances owes a lot to The Sopranos that I find unmistakable (yet entirely well-done).

For the most part, Peaky Blinders is a fiction, so the writers can do whatever plots they want. A big part of PB's fiction is they moved the era up 20 years so it comes after WW1 and they basically substituted PTSD for bad parenting among the brothers/sisters and Roma roots for the "old country".

The Sopranos is the Beatles of TV. It created modern tv and every show that came after is either directly or indirectly influenced by it in some way

Reaction Score
Rewatching Sopranos. Season 3, Episode 1 is one of my favorite episodes of any show ever.
Sopranos Season 3 is just a great season in general. Probably my favorite of the entire series. Credit to Joe Pantoliano for his portrayal of Ralph Cifaretto. That definitely added to the intensity of season 3. The Sopranos is just one of those shows where pretty much everything the creators touched turned to gold. Whether it was the storylines or the casting of the actors, everything just seemed to work almost perfect.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Sopranos is the Beatles of TV. It created modern tv and every show that came after is either directly or indirectly influenced by it in some way

Television started in the 1950's, and there were only maybe 3-4 truly great dramas produced before the Sopranos. The Twilight Zone, ER, and Hill Street Blues are the only network TV shows before the Sopranos that I would consider "great". Some of the others that were very good, such as Twin Peaks and Freaks and Geeks, had very limited runs. Twin Peaks was essentially an extended miniseries and Freaks and Geeks failed miserably during its run. Other well reviewed shows, like My So Called Life, could not get nearly enough of an audience to survive. Some of the best shows from the first 40 years of television such as Star Trek: Next Generation, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, were syndicated or on secondary networks. Network television was not a great platform for high quality dramas.

The Sopranos changed all that, and began the golden age of prestige television. I believe the West Wing lasted as long as it did despite its high cost and mediocre ratings in a large part because NBC wanted a prestige drama to compete with the Sopranos. Cable channels like FX and AMC took off because the Sopranos showed that there was a market for high quality, niche television. There is a direct line from the Sopranos to Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Shield and Fargo.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Television started in the 1950's, and there were only maybe 3-4 truly great dramas produced before the Sopranos. The Twilight Zone, ER, and Hill Street Blues are the only network TV shows before the Sopranos that I would consider "great". Some of the others that were very good, such as Twin Peaks and Freaks and Geeks, had very limited runs. Twin Peaks was essentially an extended miniseries and Freaks and Geeks failed miserably during its run. Other well reviewed shows, like My So Called Life, could not get nearly enough of an audience to survive. Some of the best shows from the first 40 years of television such as Star Trek: Next Generation, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, were syndicated or on secondary networks. Network television was not a great platform for high quality dramas.

The Sopranos changed all that, and began the golden age of prestige television. I believe the West Wing lasted as long as it did despite its high cost and mediocre ratings in a large part because NBC wanted a prestige drama to compete with the Sopranos. Cable channels like FX and AMC took off because the Sopranos showed that there was a market for high quality, niche television. There is a direct line from the Sopranos to Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Shield and Fargo.
Where would NYPD Blue and Law & Order fit in this construct?

NYPD Blue is the only cop show I ever watched. I suppose it was probably derivative of Hill Street Blues, but I never watched that show.

I can't stand the Law & Order franchise, but my wife can watch any iteration, anytime, any where. And it is one show that I think is always on at least one channel at any time of day.

LA Law probably deserves some props, too, but I never watched that, either.

Reaction Score

agreed. If you want to continue the Beatles analogy; those shows are like Elvis, Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers etc. but the Sopranos showed the true extent and depth of what a TV show could be.

the best Mad Men episodes are the ones that are like the Twilight Zone

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
St. Elsewhere a great show, it featured Christine Pickles!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Where would NYPD Blue and Law & Order fit in this construct?

NYPD Blue is the only cop show I ever watched. I suppose it was probably derivative of Hill Street Blues, but I never watched that show.

I can't stand the Law & Order franchise, but my wife can watch any iteration, anytime, any where. And it is one show that I think is always on at least one channel at any time of day.

LA Law probably deserves some props, too, but I never watched that, either.

I am not saying all TV sucked before the Sopranos. Law & Order had some great episodes, but it had a lot of filler episodes too. NYPD was good, I wouldn't consider it great. Every episode followed the same arc, and there was no bigger story.

There was also a lot of bad TV. The prime time soaps were bad. Aaron Spelling had like 5 shows on TV at once at one point, and they were all terrible. Treacle like the Waltons, Kojak and Baretta were regularly nominated for best drama in the 70's. TV dramas got better in the 80's with shows like Fame and St. Elsewhere, but even those shows don't age well and certainly don't measure up to today's TV. Miami Vice started off great, and then jumped a blue whale of stupidity. That show will go down as the worst self destruction by a top show in history.

An example of how good TV has become is a show like Halt and Catch Fire, which is artistically excellent. In its run from 2014 to 2017, it only got nominated for one minor Emmy (Main Title Design), and I can't point to an Emmy it should have gotten. It was a great show, but there were better shows every year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Comedies didn't have the same problem. There was a lot of bad TV in the 70's and 80's such as Different Strokes and Facts of Life, but shows like All in the Family and The Jeffersons still hold up. Mash was a little preachy and let its on the set issues effect it creatively. Mary Tyler Moore is still relevant 50 years later. The Odd Couple is still funny too. Sanford and Son holds up mostly because Redd Foxx was really that good.

Buffalo Bill was one of the funniest shows to ever be on TV, and I think the Larry Sanders Show basically ripped off the whole premise.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Buffalo Bill was one of the funniest shows to ever be on TV...
I'd like to revisit this sometime. It was hyped when it came out but I remember being stunned by the lack of laughs. There was a funny bit involving a runaway piano but that was it.

Reaction Score
I am not saying all TV sucked before the Sopranos. Law & Order had some great episodes, but it had a lot of filler episodes too. NYPD was good, I wouldn't consider it great. Every episode followed the same arc, and there was no bigger story.

There was also a lot of bad TV. The prime time soaps were bad. Aaron Spelling had like 5 shows on TV at once at one point, and they were all terrible. Treacle like the Waltons, Kojak and Baretta were regularly nominated for best drama in the 70's. TV dramas got better in the 80's with shows like Fame and St. Elsewhere, but even those shows don't age well and certainly don't measure up to today's TV. Miami Vice started off great, and then jumped a blue whale of stupidity. That show will go down as the worst self destruction by a top show in history.

An example of how good TV has become is a show like Halt and Catch Fire, which is artistically excellent. In its run from 2014 to 2017, it only got nominated for one minor Emmy (Main Title Design), and I can't point to an Emmy it should have gotten. It was a great show, but there were better shows every year.
Interesting analysis. I was wondering when you would get to Miami Vice but before cable I didn't watch shows as regularly. Cheers was a great sitcom.

How about, and I had to look this up because I was too young to remember, The NBC Mystery Movie series. Good stuff. And some great stuff. :cool:

The NBC Mystery Movie - Wikipedia

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In Season 6. The acting is better than I remember, even Robert Iler.

Edit: Paulie annoying Tony so much while Tony was unconscious that Tony went into cardiac arrest is genius.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I attempted a re-watch for myself and a first watch for my wife.. Got halfway through season 2 before she checked out, "the characters make me angry" was her reasoning.

My biggest takeaway from a re-watch was how on earth Christopher lived as long as he did!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Binge watching Season 6, I wonder if the writers were trying to turn the perspective around. If you think about the last few episodes objectively, Phil Leotardo seems pretty reasonable leading up to the finale, while Tony is a raging scalitohole when he isn't high or a degenerate gambler. Tony is abusive to his friends and his employees, killing several of them, and it is clear his business is declining even as his spending gets worse. Carmen is essentially a prostitute, letting Tony treat her like as long as she can live the high life.

Tony repeatedly interferes with Phil's family and constantly undermines Phil's authority, just like Tony did with Johnny Sacks. Phil runs a much bigger organization, and yet Tony continues to provoke Phil until a war erupts that gets several of Tony's friends and business relationships killed. How much was Phil supposed to take?

The last 3-4 episodes are very different through this lens.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Binge watching Season 6, I wonder if the writers were trying to turn the perspective around. If you think about the last few episodes objectively, Phil Leotardo seems pretty reasonable leading up to the finale, while Tony is a raging scalitohole when he isn't high or a degenerate gambler. Tony is abusive to his friends and his employees, killing several of them, and it is clear his business is declining even as his spending gets worse. Carmen is essentially a prostitute, letting Tony treat her like as long as she can live the high life.

Tony repeatedly interferes with Phil's family and constantly undermines Phil's authority, just like Tony did with Johnny Sacks. Phil runs a much bigger organization, and yet Tony continues to provoke Phil until a war erupts that gets several of Tony's friends and business relationships killed. How much was Phil supposed to take?

The last 3-4 episodes are very different through this lens.

May not be wrong. But if you are right wouldn’t the catalyst be his son trying to kill himself?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
May not be wrong. But if you are right wouldn’t the catalyst be his son trying to kill himself?

Tony's spiral starts near the end of Season 6A. By the time 6B gets going, he really deserves to die. AJ trying to kill himself is almost seems like a script mistake when you view it through this lens, because it creates sympathy for a character that deserves a very bad end. But then Tony shows no empathy for AJ, and only seems to be looking for evidence of others' kids being more screwed up as if that would make AJ's situation better. AJ's suicide attempt shows how irredeemable Tony has become.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Watched from the lens of "let's have fun watching all these losers get whacked" got me through it.

Reaction Score
In Season 6. The acting is better than I remember, even Robert Iler.

Edit: Paulie annoying Tony so much while Tony was unconscious that Tony went into cardiac arrest is genius.
I liked season 6 part two a lot better when I rewatched it a couple years later. I think I was anticipating the final episodes and finale so much that I kind of over hyped it to the point where it failed my own crazy expectations. I still don't agree with how the final episode was handled though, but I think I'm more upset with David Chase and the way he was so evasive when asked about what happened in the final scene. When you end a series the way he did, he at least owes the fans an explanation of exactly what that was.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When you end a series the way he did, he at least owes the fans an explanation of exactly what that was.
By the end, he sounded like a guy who was corrupted by the process as much as any of his characters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom