The sky is falling for championship staffs | The Boneyard

The sky is falling for championship staffs

Reaction Score
Clearly the UCONN coaching staff has lost all their marbles and are losing all their recruits and players.
More seriously, the Patriots have lost or will soon lose almost the entire top tier of there coaching staff.
Ditto for the third of my top three favs, Penn State football - whole top tier gone in a flash.
Not so for # 4 fav, Penn State wrestling - standing very firm and tall.
Yours faring better?

Reaction Score
Clearly the UCONN coaching staff has lost all their marbles and are losing all their recruits and players.
More seriously, the Patriots have lost or will soon lose almost the entire top tier of there coaching staff.
Ditto for the third of my top three favs, Penn State football - whole top tier gone in a flash.
Not so for # 4 fav, Penn State wrestling - standing very firm and tall.
Yours faring better?

Browns fan; guess we're pretty safe!

Reaction Score
Browns fan; guess we're pretty safe!

SONNY: chuckle on that. Hope this is not an OT post. Anyhow, you might get Saquon Barkley for the Browns. And I still love the looks of that sandwich of yours - my oh my.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
No matter what the Jets do, who they draft, what coaches they replace, they will still be mediocre. I still remain amazed at some posters who have stated their hatred for the NY Jets. What could they ever have done to you or your team? The Jets have been irrelevant for so long how can anyone muster up hatred for them? True, their failures haven't been as abject as the (sorry Cleveland fans) the Browns, but close enough. At least Browns fans can look back to one of the greatest and most innovative coaches in football history in Paul Brown. At least Browns fans can look back to the greatest (in my opinion) back in football history in Jim Brown. At least the Browns of that period were the best for years. All the Jets have is Joe Namath. That's it.

Reaction Score
What could they have done you ask? 1969 Superbowl.;)

Reaction Score
Successful franchises will always lose their assistant coaches. But the primary reason they are successful is that they have owners who leave the football decisions to professionals while the less successful franchises more often than not have owners who are the de facto general managers of their teams ..... or they are owners who let accountants run their teams. Al Davis, J Jones & the late Wellington Mara are perfect examples of owners who try/tried and mostly fail(ed) at making the football decisions for their teams.
It is futile to hire an coordinator from another team to be your new head coach if the owner continues to meddle in the decision-making process. But the beat goes on....

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see if Belichick retires after the supposed turmoil between him, Brady and Kraft. Will Tom hang it up if he wins the SuperBowl? I know he's said he wants to continue to play, but he has nothing to prove. I would like to see him retire and then Jimmy G signs with the Patriots to be Brady's replacement at QB.

Reaction Score
OZ: Going with a wild guess here. Jet's fan? ( : Second choice : football historian?
Well as a Baltimore Colts fan, (the real Colts), the 1969 Superbowl was what the Jets franchise did to earn my everlasting enmity. ;) Quite crushing for an eight year old. :mad:

Not really a football historian, but one of the best things about the old Baltimore Colts and Orioles from the 1950's through the early 1970's was the relationship between the players, their fans and the city. It was a different time for sure. Since pay for NFL players was a mere pittance compared to today, many of the Colt players worked regular jobs in the off season or had businesses in town. It wasn't unusual to see big name players like Art Donovan, Gino Marchetti, and John Unitas out in the community acting like regular guys. I went to the same church as Mr. Unitas did for several years. This was many years after he retired. Definitely a down to earth every man type of guy. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, and Al Bumbry of the Orioles had a similar relationship with the community. Once the TV revenue became available and player salaries started to grow exponentially, it was only natural that things changed.

I imagine other cities and their fans had similar experiences from those years.

Reaction Score
Successful franchises will always lose their assistant coaches. But the primary reason they are successful is that they have owners who leave the football decisions to professionals while the less successful franchises more often than not have owners who are the de facto general managers of their teams ..... or they are owners who let accountants run their teams. Al Davis, J Jones & the late Wellington Mara are perfect examples of owners who try/tried and mostly fail(ed) at making the football decisions for their teams.
It is futile to hire an coordinator from another team to be your new head coach if the owner continues to meddle in the decision-making process. But the beat goes on....

Reaction Score

ALY: Certainly appreciate your point about ownership style. Potent. Re the teams cited at the top, Franklin at PSU has completely reloaded already, and in very fine style. Remarkable job. Final spot filled today by Seider of Florida, who is a veritable pied piper of recruiting ranks and will be a terrific experienced coach of their RB room. Strong ties to rich FL high school talent pool. Franklin hardly missed a beat after huge staff losses. No Pats news yet.

Reaction Score
Well as a Baltimore Colts fan, (the real Colts), the 1969 Superbowl was what the Jets franchise did to earn my everlasting enmity. ;) Quite crushing for an eight year old. :mad:

Not really a football historian, but one of the best things about the old Baltimore Colts and Orioles from the 1950's through the early 1970's was the relationship between the players, their fans and the city. It was a different time for sure. Since pay for NFL players was a mere pittance compared to today, many of the Colt players worked regular jobs in the off season or had businesses in town. It wasn't unusual to see big name players like Art Donovan, Gino Marchetti, and John Unitas out in the community acting like regular guys. I went to the same church as Mr. Unitas did for several years. This was many years after he retired. Definitely a down to earth every man type of guy. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, and Al Bumbry of the Orioles had a similar relationship with the community. Once the TV revenue became available and player salaries started to grow exponentially, it was only natural that things changed.
I imagine other cities and their fans had similar experiences from those years.

OZ: Terrific point about changing times - and you reference a wonderful team, absolutely loaded with talent on both sides of th ball. Imagine that backfield with Unitas leading Alan Ameche and Lenny Moore, and Raymond Berry and and Jim Mutscheller at the ends, on and on. Among greatest teams ever. One of my most favorites was "Big Daddy" Lipscomb; can remember his interview about how he makes so many tackles. "I just keep tossin em away until I gets to the one with the ball, and then I keeps him." Priceless.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom