The Situation | The Boneyard

The Situation

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So here are my thoughts on the situation.

Do I want to smack Edsall across the face for the dumb, conservative decisions he constantly makes during games where he clearly knows we are the underdog and we need to take chances? Absolutely! I mean, I really want to haul off on him!

Do I think that we should fire him now or at the end of the season? Probably not. Not unless we're willing as an institution to put real football money at a football problem. At the current investment, we won't do better short term or long term. Emotions aside, most people understand that. For those calling for his head, you also have to call for a much greater investment; one that will not come in the near future. If it could have come, he wouldn't be here in the first place.

So get used to anemic crowds and horrible records for at least another year until our sophomores are at least juniors and our QBs aren't shell shocked by average defenses.

It will slowly and marginally get better, because that's all we're willing to pay for...

Reaction Score
1571003257023.jpeg

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score

Do I want to smack Edsall across the face for the dumb, conservative decisions he constantly makes during games where he clearly knows we are the underdog and we need to take chances? Absolutely! I mean, I really want to haul off on him!

Do I think that we should fire him now or at the end of the season? Probably not. Not unless we're willing as an institution to put real football money at a football problem. At the current investment, we won't do better short term or long term. Emotions aside, most people understand that. For those calling for his head, you also have to call for a much greater investment; one that will not come in the near future. If it could have come, he wouldn't be here in the first place.

So get used to anemic crowds and horrible records for at least another year until our sophomores are at least juniors and our QBs aren't shell shocked by average defenses.

It will slowly and marginally get better, because that's all we're willing to pay for...
Drop kick

Reaction Score
Not wrong. But, it assumes we can’t demand better or scream for better. That’s what they want. Learned helplessness. The program is absolute sheet and they know it and don’t care as long as they don’t look bad and can pawn off the Fake Big East as a pacifier.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Dan, I love ya and all, but how many times are we going to play this card? We've waited for players to get another year older and we still are getting destroyed. Not losing, destroyed.

I'm tired of hearing that we need to give the players one more year or in two years they'll be older an better. Well, we all said the by this season, after he was first hired, we'd be winning football games. Last I looked, it doesn't look any different than it did the day he was hired.....

Reaction Score
Exactly. Lets pay Edsall another year to fail and embarrass the program. I’d rather it be shut down than pay him.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Dan, I love ya and all, but how many times are we going to play this card? We've waited for players to get another year older and we still are getting destroyed. Not losing, destroyed.

I'm tired of hearing that we need to give the players one more year or in two years they'll be older an better. Well, we all said the by this season, after he was first hired, we'd be winning football games. Last I looked, it doesn't look any different than it did the day he was hired.....

Well, they are mostly sophomores on the roster and we have literally one 5th year senior playing. So I guess the answer to your question of how many times we are going to play this card is "about 2 more years", unfortunately.

And believe me, I friggin hate it...

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score

you're wrong. it does look different. were way worse than when randy was first hired...

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The 6 TD drubbings, every single game, end the day after the Temple game. It has to. At least under Edsall.
Zero buyout 12/1.

Reaction Score
Well, they are mostly sophomores on the roster and we have literally one 5th year senior playing. So I guess the answer to your question of how many times we are going to play this card is "about 2 more years", unfortunately.

AGREE and I wish the mods would just merge the fire Randy threads. It is simply silly for a few new ones every game when most in the know realize much is out of his control.
Dan, absolutely no attack but you should realize along with others calling for a more liberal open game plan would only lead to larger margins of defeat. If a team cannot execute basic plays how would one expect something more exotic?
I am not saying everyone on the attack is wrong but they print no facts to make one think they are right.
Many should realize the job Randy accepted is not the same as the one he is trying to carry out. He was given money for way more assistants than the first time around. Also the member of a conference that would allow for decent recruiting. The conference is gone along with the money, as a state school in a state that is broke every department at UConn is being asked to make financial cuts.
Nothing is boding well for the football program at this time but it is by no means all on Randy. He cracked at a recent presser and took heat for it with a question about the future schedule. I would guess it may have been the same question coming from recruits earlier in the day. This as fans and the press look for the up swing in recruiting from him as he has less to offer.
No easy solutions here at this time, we must persevere. Philly cheese steaks and sides for Houston!
GO HUSKIES !!!

C

Chief00

He’s had 3 recruiting cycles to bring in transfers and hasn’t fully utilized that capability.

Reaction Score

I agree with you. The truth is we have some solid young talent on the team. Edsall still has a good eye for talent. If we were to change coaches now we might lose that young talent to the transfer portal....

of course some players could leave even if Edsall stays and because of that the players will probably determine Edsall's fate, if he loses the team he will lose his job, if the team for the most part stands behind him I expect him to be given another year.

no matter what happens I think there is a 99.9% chance we will have a new offensive coordinator next year and hopefully at least one dual threat QB will be brought in to compete for the job.

It's a shame that in the previous two years we had very good QB performances wasted because the defense was beyond terrible. No doubt if Shirreffs or Pindell were on this year's team we would currently have three wins, be very much in the bowl hunt and nobody would be calling for Edsall's dismissal. Timing is everything.

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
people continue to forget what the roster was made up of when he got here.
He is not going anywhere unless UConn gets a new AD and some big donor pushes for his removal, which I don't see happening. Going independent means he is here next year as well. UConn needs stablity which it hasn't had much of since he left the first time.

I do wish he would let the offense do some things different and not play so conservatively all the time. I am not saying the run and shoot but do things a little differently wouldn't hurt.

Reaction Score
people continue to forget what the roster was made up of when he got here.
He is not going anywhere unless UConn gets a new AD and some big donor pushes for his removal, which I don't see happening. Going independent means he is here next year as well. UConn needs stablity which it hasn't had much of since he left the first time.

I do wish he would let the offense do some things different and not play so conservatively all the time. I am not saying the run and shoot but do things a little differently wouldn't hurt.
We are stable. We are consistently and predictably bad year over year with no sign of any improvement. We need change, and more change until we get it right.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Dan, absolutely no attack but you should realize along with others calling for a more liberal open game plan would only lead to larger margins of defeat. If a team cannot execute basic plays how would one expect something more exotic?
Just to play devil's advocate, it only leads to larger margins of defeat if the plays can't be executed. I think you can also make a case that our bland predictable style is easy to prepare for and shut down, also leading to larger margins of defeat.
I've said in other posts that to succeed going indy will require something special. I would like to see that wide open spread offense that hopefully brings the fans back and eventually leads to some victories. No conference and a bland offense will just continue our decline.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dan, I love ya and all, but how many times are we going to play this card? I'm tired of hearing that we need to give the players one more year or in two years they'll be older an better. We've waited for players to get another year older and we still are getting destroyed. Not losing, destroyed.

One more year. That's it. So if nothing's changed by next year at this time, he's gone.

Personally, I'm rooting for Randy to achieve at least mediocrity because that will mean that the next next coach will at least have a shot at making us competitive.

Reaction Score
Just to play devil's advocate, it only leads to larger margins of defeat if the plays can't be executed. I think you can also make a case that our bland predictable style is easy to prepare for and shut down, also leading to larger margins of defeat.
I've said in other posts that to succeed going indy will require something special. I would like to see that wide open spread offense that hopefully brings the fans back an eventually leads to some victories. No conference and a bland offense will just continue our decline.
Fair assessment Fairfield but do the math on our team speed and see what is required for a wide open spread offense. We are not even at the level of a successful outside run. A couple of plays out of the ordinary backfire and that would be the new fire Randy cry. I feel your pain also but we are not good enough to blame play calling yet.

If you were a good HS QB, Would you come here to play in this system?
Chief00, no attack but Dan O came here to play in this system. I thought he was a pretty good HS QB.
Obviously you are loosing your grip on what has taken place with the team. You state Randy has had three recruiting cycles which technically is true. Having said that the all knowing Chief should realize the first year was late in the process and should not count as heavily to your burning his likeness in effigy.
As for would I come here to play in this system does not matter. The recruiting season has to have had the plug pulled with the loss of a conference / no future schedule.
I feel your pain also as I want so much more, Richardson assistant to HC to MS, OC to the Jets. A lot going on out of Randy's control a real lot. My guess right now the only thing keeping him here is the fact he left in the night once already. His kid could get a job on his own now.
Play calling is the least of our football programs problems....

Reaction Score
Letting him go after three years sends a message to any potential candidate that you get three years to make this thing a winner. The last three coaches all got canned within three years so now is your turn. For a program in a football rich area that can be understandable but this is UConn in football thin New England surrounded by slightly more football rich North East. Any coach coming here has to develop players, not cherry pick the local talent pool. You might as well give Edsall his 5 years to build depth because nobody in their right mind is coming here with a three year gun to their head. Nobody but a coordinator or Div-2 or 3 coach looking at UConn as a stepping stone.

Reaction Score
People have to accept that the coach is quite literally to blame for everything. Yes we need to spend more on coaches and let our young guys mature, but the offense in particular is just shockingly simple and predictable. Rhett Lashlee showed us that a good OC can take an offense from 0-60 in one off season.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I’ll let the people here (who know more about the program then I do) pontificate on what we should do going forward.

I just know that I bought into the idea UConn was on its way to becoming a Top 20 public school with elite BB and a respected FBS FB program. The dream has died. Am I bitter? No. Just extremely disappointed and disillusioned.

It looks like the state government has been badly mismanaged, so our funding is drying up and our academic reputation has begun to slide. And God knows the FB situation has been bungled. All we have left is basketball. At best, it’s 1990 all over again.

Reaction Score
Letting him go after three years sends a message to any potential candidate that you get three years to make this thing a winner. The last three coaches all got canned within three years so now is your turn. For a program in a football rich area that can be understandable but this is UConn in football thin New England surrounded by slightly more football rich North East. Any coach coming here has to develop players, not cherry pick the local talent pool. You might as well give Edsall his 5 years to build depth because nobody in their right mind is coming here with a three year gun to their head. Nobody but a coordinator or Div-2 or 3 coach looking at UConn as a stepping stone.

Ehh if we end up 1-11 or 2-10 and he gets fired i don't think that scares anyone off. Not like he needs to go bowling to keep his job. If expecting 3-4 wins after year 3 is too much for anyone than i don't think we want that coach

Reaction Score
Ehh if we end up 1-11 or 2-10 and he gets fired i don't think that scares anyone off. Not like he needs to go bowling to keep his job. If expecting 3-4 wins after year 3 is too much for anyone than i don't think we want that coach
Three coaches in a row got canned after three years and that won't scare off any decent head coach knowing that they need to recruit freshmen, see them through their four years of eligibility and build depth behind them? The reason being they aren't going to grab 4 star players from the surrounding region, especially at UConn. You got Edsall for a bargain basement deal so you may as well let him recruit, develop and build depth especially when the school seems to be de-emphasizing football. Trust me if they could pony up the cash and plug in a name kids would want to play for I'd be for that as much as the next guy but..... who's coming to coach an independent that has historically fought an uphill recruiting battle? And...at a school that left a perfectly fine all sports conference so that the basketball teams could have a few local away games a year?

Reaction Score
Three coaches in a row got canned after three years and that won't scare off any decent head coach knowing that they need to recruit freshmen, see them through their four years of eligibility and build depth behind them? The reason being they aren't going to grab 4 star players from the surrounding region, especially at UConn. You got Edsall for a bargain basement deal so you may as well let him recruit, develop and build depth especially when the school seems to be de-emphasizing football. Trust me if they could pony up the cash and plug in a name kids would want to play for I'd be for that as much as the next guy but..... who's coming to coach an independent that has historically fought an uphill recruiting battle? And...at a school that left a perfectly fine all sports conference so that the basketball teams could have a few local away games a year?

It would be 3 coaches that presided over an absolute dumpster fire. The last 2 which have gotten a lot of attention, Diaco because of his craziness, and Edsall because of our historic level of ineptness. Most schools fire over 4-8 seasons, everybody gets that if after 3 years you are winning 1 or 2 games you are probably gone.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons people would be hesitant to take the job, just that worrying we are too quick to get rid of coaches isn't one of them

C

Chief00

Fair assessment Fairfield but do the math on our team speed and see what is required for a wide open spread offense. We are not even at the level of a successful outside run. A couple of plays out of the ordinary backfire and that would be the new fire Randy cry. I feel your pain also but we are not good enough to blame play calling yet.

Chief00, no attack but Dan O came here to play in this system. I thought he was a pretty good HS QB.
Obviously you are loosing your grip on what has taken place with the team. You state Randy has had three recruiting cycles which technically is true. Having said that the all knowing Chief should realize the first year was late in the process and should not count as heavily to your burning his likeness in effigy.
As for would I come here to play in this system does not matter. The recruiting season has to have had the plug pulled with the loss of a conference / no future schedule.
I feel your pain also as I want so much more, Richardson assistant to HC to MS, OC to the Jets. A lot going on out of Randy's control a real lot. My guess right now the only thing keeping him here is the fact he left in the night once already. His kid could get a job on his own now.
Play calling is the least of our football programs problems....
Could have gotten grad transfers and Juco’s that first year but wasn’t flexible enough to do that.
Randy was lucky to have Morehead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom