The Secret Is Almost Out | The Boneyard

The Secret Is Almost Out

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Azura that is. Hardly a secret, but she has had a quiet year of preparation.

"And now she's ready to play in games. On a team with Katie Lou Samuelson, Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier, it's not absurd to suggest Stevens could mesh — KD-like — as the Huskies' most dynamic force. Samuelson suggested Monday that Stevens could be as great and versatile as any 6-6 player as the game has seen.

"When she started with us, her first week or two of practice, we kept talking about, man, we've got to get Z to play at a different pace," Auriemma said. "We've got to get her to play at our pace. Every once in a while we could see it. For a week or so, you'd say, 'Wow!' She dominated all of our practices. There's a way she does it.

"It's not like Breanna Stewart did it. We've been fortunate to have both, but she's different than Stewy. She's got a different look to her the way she plays. The players tell me in pickup games, she doesn't like getting beat up. So they beat her up every day. Then she turns it on against them. I'm excited for her. I'm excited for us. We had a great last year, and now you add somebody like that to the mix, we have a chance to do some really special things."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...s-huge-talent-to-huskies-20170626-column.html

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Another secret in this article?

"Nurse, who'll run the offense, says she knows one thing.

"At her size, she's hard to guard in pickup," Nurse said. "I guarded her the other day. She and [fellow transfer Batouly Camara] have been through the practices and battlegrounds to see how things run. I think it will be a quick transition."

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I wondered when someone was going to point out that article. It's a full-length article in the Courant this morning that is pretty much solely dedicated to describing Azura and her UConn experience.

It's not surprising that Kevin Durant is her favorite player, but it was a bit surprising to me that Geno endorsed the comparison. Based on that and his other comments (especially the comparison with Stewie), I think he is pretty much assuming that she will be in the starting lineup.

Geno rhetorically asked how many 6-6 women players are the one that you set the ball screen for, rather than the one setting the ball screen. And Azura said that the different pace of practice (which she thinks is unique to UConn in WCBB) was her biggest adjustment in coming from Duke.

Apparently UConn showed some interest in her when she was in high school, but she was not inclined to travel so far from home at that time.

Overall, the article confirmed the impression that I had from watching her on the bench and hearing previous comments: she is a UConn personality as well as a UConn player.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"The main thing is the pace which I play has changed a lot," Stevens said. "Playing for UConn, you play at a different pace than pretty much every other program in the country. And working on things I'm not necessarily as comfortable with, dribbling, solidifying more of my back to the basket moves and having that kind of dominance." There is more there in the article. Gonna be one exciting year.

Reaction Score

"At her size, she's hard to guard in pickup," Nurse said. "I guarded her the other day. She and [fellow transfer Batouly Camara] have been through the practices and battlegrounds to see how things run. I think it will be a quick transition."
Loads of speculation these past few months on WHO shall run the offense--some suggested Kia may come off the bench---
Stevens--if she is all Geno says--and Kia implies--Wow.
Azura apparently at Duke, was like Stew, KML, and Maya as freshman and abhorred physical contact----apparently JPM didn't fix it--but Uconn's Fab 4 plus 1 fixed it by beating her up in pickup games. Geno's new SECRET WEAPONS---Team beatup--an Azura (she ain't in duke land any more Dorothy)

Reaction Score
Here's the link that works for me:
http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn...o-huskies-20170626-column.html#nt=oft02a-2la1

Wow, Rocky. 2 great and insightful observations: you Rock(y)!!
  • If Geno is comparing Z to Stewie (even if to point out their differences), well, all I can say is: Holy Crap!!! She doesn't have to be Stewie-like, not with what's surrounding her, but jeez that she is of that calibre, it will be amazing. And let's not forget the effect that will have on Walker: very different players, but it's so important for one potentially transcendent player to see how another transcendent player takes coaching and generally comports herself.
  • And Kia running the team. Sort of nails down the starting 5, huh? And that means Lou plays the 2 guard?

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
  • "And that means Lou plays the 2 guard?
Sounds like it Bags, with a very different player coming off the bench in Crystal?? If Katie Lou plays the 2 she will be a nightmare to guard and her drives to the basket should increase. She can be slithery quick down there with some pretty interesting angles.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Wow, Rocky. 2 great and insightful reports: you Rock(y)!!
  • If Geno is comparing Z to Stewie (even if to point out their differences), well, all I can say is: Holy Crap!!! She doesn't have to be Stewie-like, not with what's surrounding her, but jeez that she is of that calibre, it will be amazing. And let's not forget the effect that will have on Walker: very different players, but it's so important for one potentially transcendent player to see how another transcendent player takes coaching and generally comports herself.
  • And Kia running the team. Sort of nails down the starting 5, huh? And that means Lou plays the 2 guard?
The part about Kia running the offense was Jeff Jacobs's editorial comment, not a quote from Geno. (I've learned to be rigorous about that distinction!) Nonetheless, all precedent suggests that the season will certainly start out that way. But if (probably not likely) Crystal shows that she is now consistently the player that she was last year against Baylor, she may get a starter's share of minutes, and by the end of the season, she MAY supplant Kia in the starting lineup. But I would say that there is less than a 25% chance of that.

I do think there is a greater chance of Kia being replaced in the starting lineup by Crystal than of Azura coming off the bench, or of Gabby / KLS / Napheesa doing that.

I would expect Gabby rather than KLS to be the 2 guard if Azura and the four returning starters constitute the starting lineup. Certainly on defense, Gabby will be a perimeter defender. On offense, the distinction between a 2 and a 3 is not going to be very significant to Geno. It will be more significant to opponents -- they will probably put their slower and less agile perimeter defender on KLS so that someone quick can guard Gabby, but really it is going to be very difficult for them to find workable matchups. UConn will probably face a ton of zone defense (as has been the custom for the last few years).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The part about Kia running the offense was Jeff Jacobs's editorial comment,

Kia says as much in the article focusing on her. But, you are right; it could be an over read.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Here's the link that works for me:
http://www.courant.com/sports/UConn...o-huskies-20170626-column.html#nt=oft02a-2la1

Wow, Rocky. 2 great and insightful observations: you Rock(y)!!
I think you're right, Bags, Lou is the 2 guard. With Z, Pheesa and Gabby on the front line, Lou won't need to do much offensive rebounding (which wasn't her specialty anyway). Oh sure, technically Lou will be the 3 when CD replaces one of the front three but that will be an offense similar to last year's, basically two guards, a wing (KLS) and a high and low post.

There's so much depth and versatility on this team that it's frightening. I've written this before and I'll write it again: There is no other team in the world that can replace a 6-6 player with a player who is more than a foot shorter and lose none of its offensive firepower. Awesome.

Reaction Score
I liked this too, from the Z video:

Z: "It was hard to sit and watch the Final Four, but I had been doing it for a whole year," Stevens said. "[The loss] was tough, obviously, but I think it was good for our team learning some lessons we needed to learn. We've definitely improved from the things that sort of held us back last year. So that has been really cool to see. We're not letting the loss define us, but propel us in a new direction."

Reaction Score
I liked this too, from the Z video:

Z: "It was hard to sit and watch the Final Four, but I had been doing it for a whole year," Stevens said. "[The loss] was tough, obviously, but I think it was good for our team learning some lessons we needed to learn. We've definitely improved from the things that sort of held us back last year. So that has been really cool to see. We're not letting the loss define us, but propel us in a new direction."
I was struck by how thoughtful Z was. Another typical example of UConn WCBB eloquence: well-spoken and well-considered.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As noted, the part about Kia running the offense is from Jeff, not directly from Geno. I think Crystal, Gabby, and Kia will run the offense. To me, Kia is better off the ball. She has become an elite shooter. She out-shot Lou last year.

Despite the glowing comments, I still think that Crystal starts over Z, but my probability has dropped from 60% to 55%. I think that the top 6 players will average within 2 minutes of one another. Whether Crystal starts or Z starts, they play about the same amount. I think that Crystal and Z will be incredible in the 2-man game.

I think Kia, Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa start with virtually a 100% probability. Three of them were 1st team All-Americans last year, and the other is an Olympic team starter and our most experienced player. No one--not Maya or Stewie or Z--would supplant them as starters.

For the sake of argument, I'll assume that Z starts. That makes us a very tall team:

PG: Kia 6'0"

SG: Lou 6'3"

SF: Pheesa 6'1" but plays 6'3"

PF: Gabby 5'11" but plays 6'3"

C: Azura 6'6"

That group should be very disruptive in the passing lanes.

When Geno says, "We had a great last year, and now you add somebody like that [Azura] to the mix, we have a chance to do some really special things," it is an indication that history could be made (though he used only one "really" :)).

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Z is going to a nightmare for opponents.

I will say again, the starting five will be Kia, Lou, Gabby, Pheesa and Z. Pheesa and Z will do the most damage in the paint. Gabby will be at the high post utilizing her passing ability to feed Pheesa, Z and Lou. And if the pass is not open, she will drive the lane.

Come on November!!!!!!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The part about Kia running the offense was Jeff Jacobs's editorial comment, not a quote from Geno. (I've learned to be rigorous about that distinction!) Nonetheless, all precedent suggests that the season will certainly start out that way. But if (probably not likely) Crystal shows that she is now consistently the player that she was last year against Baylor, she may get a starter's share of minutes, and by the end of the season, she MAY supplant Kia in the starting lineup. But I would say that there is less than a 25% chance of that.

I do think there is a greater chance of Kia being replaced in the starting lineup by Crystal than of Azura coming off the bench, or of Gabby / KLS / Napheesa doing that.

I would expect Gabby rather than KLS to be the 2 guard if Azura and the four returning starters constitute the starting lineup. Certainly on defense, Gabby will be a perimeter defender. On offense, the distinction between a 2 and a 3 is not going to be very significant to Geno. It will be more significant to opponents -- they will probably put their slower and less agile perimeter defender on KLS so that someone quick can guard Gabby, but really it is going to be very difficult for them to find workable matchups. UConn will probably face a ton of zone defense (as has been the custom for the last few years).
I agree with you about Gabby being the 2 guard. She just may have an accurate three point shot this season. That would be something.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I'm not sure why this is a secret. Nurse ran the offense last year.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As noted, the part about Kia running the offense is from Jeff, not directly from Geno. I think Crystal, Gabby, and Kia will run the offense. To me, Kia is better off the ball. She has become an elite shooter. She out-shot Lou last year.

Despite the glowing comments, I still think that Crystal starts over Z, but my probability has dropped from 60% to 55%. I think that the top 6 players will average within 2 minutes of one another. Whether Crystal starts or Z starts, they play about the same amount. I think that Crystal and Z will be incredible in the 2-man game.

I think Kia, Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa start with virtually a 100% probability. Three of them were 1st team All-Americans last year, and the other is an Olympic team starter and our most experienced player. No one--not Maya or Stewie or Z--would supplant them as starters.

For the sake of argument, I'll assume that Z starts. That makes us a very tall team:

PG: Kia 6'0"

SG: Lou 6'3"

SF: Pheesa 6'1" but plays 6'3"

PF: Gabby 5'11" but plays 6'3"

C: Azura 6'6"

That group should be very disruptive in the passing lanes.

When Geno says, "We had a great last year, and now you add somebody like that [Azura] to the mix, we have a chance to do some really special things," it is an indication that history could be made (though he used only one "really" :)).

Milford, I'll have a glass of whatever you're drinking. I've been suggesting since the season ended, that Azura would be the new 5th starter. Call me crazy or out of touch, but I don't believe Geno brought Stevens in (the program) to come off the bench, especially with the lack of height our starting unit had to endure last year. Now "poor" Gabby won't have to try and match up and guard against post players that are in some cases 8 inches taller (Baylor's Kalani Brown @6'7") than her. The one word that would best describe UConn next season is "Nightmare".

Because that is what they are going to be for everyone on their schedule....................including the post season. That Mississippi State loss to end the season, left a read bad taste in their mouths, and sand between their toes. :eek: Note the win streak they subsequently strung together after their last loss to Stanford back in November 2014. Losses do get THIS program's attention, and they tend stay with them for a while.

The majority of the posts and comments here about the 2018 team center around their offense. As you suggest, "That group should be very disruptive in the passing lanes". I think UConn will be very stingy on the defensive end of the court this season, and one of the hardest team's to score on in D1 WCBB. Gabby at 5'11", will be the only starter under 6 feet, and she plays like 6'3".

I would be surprised if more that 2 teams score more than 60 points this year. I see a lot of lop-sided (25-40 point) wins again this season. I'd really like to see UConn bring back to life "Nolan Richarson's (Arkansas) 40 minutes of hell" approach to playing games this year. Expect to see a lot of articles, stories (including posts and comments here in the yard) written about how unfair, and bad for the game UConn's dominance of Division 1 women's college basketball is. Just like Christmas in December, it comes EVERY YEAR. :cool:

Nolan Richardson Talks About The Origin Of That '40 Minutes Of Hell' Label -

Richardson talked about how his style of play came to be called "40 Minutes Of Hell". When sports writer Dick Gordon asked about where 40 Minutes Of Hell came from, Richardson told the story of Razorbacks player Scott Rose who approached him during a practice about why they were working so hard.

"The first 40 minutes of my workouts is almost nothing to do with basketball - it's more conditioning drills," said Richardson. "Jump rope, we got a medicine ball, water balls, we run figure eights. We don't even shoot at the basket. So one of the player said, 'Hey coach, do we do this every day?'

And I said, 'Yeah - you see how long it is.' I said, 'How long is a game?' He said, '40 minutes.' I said, 'We do it every day for 40 minutes then.' He said, 'Coach that's hell - that's like 40 minutes of hell.' I said, 'Oh really?' And I just dismissed it.

upload_2017-6-27_16-43-43.jpeg

"Well, we weren't very good and we won a game one night and a news guy comes up to him and says to him, 'You guys put one together. Boy did you work and dive on the floor and did all this stuff.' He said, 'Yeah, we put 40 minutes of hell on 'em.' Well the news guy said, 'What?' So he comes to me and he said, 'Hey, this new 40 minutes of hell - where'd you get that from?'

I said, 'I don't know what you're talking about.' He said, 'Well your player over there called it 40.' And I looked at him and it was Scott Rose - Scott was the guy that came up and asked me about the 40 minutes. I said, 'Oh I just told him about how hard it is for our practices.' He said, 'No he called it 40 Minutes of Hell basketball.' I said, 'Well, let's just call it 40 Minutes of Hell then.' And that's how it all got started.' .....................................and now you know the rest of the story.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

With the potential lineups Geno has available--the year prior to this past season, Gabby and Napheesa sat a good deal. Last season, out of necessity, Geno plugged in Gabby, who did an exceptional job, and Napheesa,Lou and Kia (later season) furnished the fire power--Gabby did a yeoman's job of defense and scoring. What I'm heading towards--I would not count heavily on Gabby --I know heresy--of heresy, I don't speak great highly of Gabby. Something has to give and Geno has to settle on a "starting" line up==Geno needs too to build for the future, since the present seems well cared for. I won't presume to provide the line up --up to the 6,7,8, 9,10 person.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Milford, as you pointed out, I saw this from Geno and it made me do a mental double take.

"We had a great last year, and now you add somebody like that [Azura] to the mix, we have a chance to do some really special things," it is an indication that history could be made (though he used only one "really" :)).

Uh Geno, a hundred and something in a row and 4 in a row and now you team might do something "really special". More reallys were in order for sure.

I liked your post. I don't agree with it, but good, well argued work is worth a like.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom