The Second Scorer Discussion | The Boneyard

The Second Scorer Discussion

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There is no second scorer for UConn. There are four of them. Just different guys on different nights.

Look at the stats and UConn has a 1-4-4 scoring groupings.

The 1. Real easy. Top Dog. Expected to score about 20 more every night. Anything below 15 will require extenuating circumstances.
Bouk 20.3

The next four. All within 1.5 ppg from each other. Expected to score around double digits every night and be able to maybe hit 20 a few times this season. Polley and Martin have already hit it. Surprised that Whaley's 15 last night was his season high. Getting about 35 ppg from scorers 2-5 right now. Any of these guys can be the #2 scorer in any game.
Whaley 9.3
Cole 9.7
Martin 8.4
Polley 8.2

The next four. Rotation players. 1.6 ppg separating 6th scorer from the 9th. Minutes will vary greatly by game flow, match ups and everything else. Scoring numbers will be all over the place too. Ocassionally will hit double digits. With Jackson out and Akok not back in game yet, these guys will all still see double digit minutes and have a chance. Getting almost 22 ppg from 6-9.

Gaff 6.3
Adams 5.2
Carlton 5.6
Sanogo 4.7

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Yes I agree it will be 2nd scorer by whoever is good that day. We've seen Polley, Martin score 20. I would think RJ will get hot one of these days and and put in 20 - wouldn't be surprised. It will have to be that way (committee) since they would have to be consistent otherwise. I don't think that's an issue. We just need Bouk to be healthy and do his thing, as long as one of the others steps up.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Completely agree. Our second option will be based on matchups and game flow night in and night out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes I agree it will be 2nd scorer by whoever is good that day. We've seen Polley, Martin score 20. I would think RJ will get hot one of these days and and put in 20 - wouldn't be surprised. It will have to be that way (committee) since they would have to be consistent otherwise. I don't think that's an issue. We just need Bouk to be healthy and do his thing, as long as one of the others steps up.

The other good part of the scorer by committee is the second and third groups each score at different levels and in different ways.

The way Polley got his 20+ last night was vastly different than how Martin got his 20. Same thing with Whaley and Cole. They'd get their points in different ways. An opposing coach can't just game plan a 1. Pack it in and make them shoot, or 2. Defend the 3.

UConn's complementary scorers can do it in different ways while still complementing Bouk's scoring ways.

Reaction Score
Nice summary. Not only have we relied on a different "hot hand" as our 2nd/3rd scorer in our first 5 games, but part of it also has to do with the position diversity across those guys to exploit favorable matchups.

The only teams that will give us a huge challenge this year are the ones that are strong defensively across the 1-5 positions, which also includes the subs for the 1-5 positions because our potential #2 scorers go deep into the bench

The good news is that there aren't many teams in the country that you can say are that bulletproof.

I love this team's chances to make serious noise in the Big East and the NCAAs.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I think consistency has been our biggest issue across the board, and it's been that way for everyone. Granted, it's been a messed up season and pre-season, so I think this will improve. If our 2nd scorer is a "by committee" thing, I think that works as long as the absolute floor is raised a little across the board. The potential committee guys can't put up zero points if they play real minutes.

Reaction Score
I do hope a couple players make some progress this season towards being consistent scorers. It would help me feel better about Bouk leaving for next year as well. I think there’s more room to improve for this years team and we’ll be dangerous come March.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree the second option "by committee" is this team's way, but think about if Hurley would have guessed wrong yesterday. Even early in the second half, he easily could have decided the Polly doesn't have it yet and planted him on the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom