The scariest thing about the UConn Huskies | The Boneyard

The scariest thing about the UConn Huskies

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One of the reasons I love WBB is that you get to see the top players develop over 4 or 5 years, unlike MBB where “one & done” is the rule for most of the top players. There are a number of coaches who consistently do an outstanding job of developing players, including Tara, Muffet, Dawn and many others. Some other coaches are less effective and it shows in their team’s performance. But the absolute, unquestioned masters at player development are Geno, his coaching staff and the training staff at UConn.

UConn makes good players great and great players even greater. While we often focus on Husky superstars like DT, Maya and Stewie, the development of individuals like Kelly Ferris, Steph and Saniya into legitimate professional basketball players is absolutely astonishing. UConn develops the complete player and person, focusing on physical development, basketball skills and emotional intelligence.

On a number of occasions, I’ve stated that UConn is loaded this coming year. The Huskies have size, depth and experience. But the scariest thought to the rest of WBB for the 2017-18 season is that UConn will return 9 talented players who will all be considerably better than the last time we all saw them on the court. Think about what that means. UConn was 36-1 last year, losing only in OT by a single basket in the national semi-final.

Starting with the four returning starters, three of which were 1st team AA’s, Kia, Gabby, Pheesa & Lou have all had their end of season meetings with Geno, who gave them their marching orders on what they need to work on. With the loss to MS St as motivation, they will come back stronger and more focused. I expect Pheesa and Lou to be more physical this year. Gabby will be a better outside shooter and (spoiler alert), Kia will be among the leading 3-pt shooters in the nation.

Danger, Kyla and Molly will all make the sophomore leap. Of course, Danger will be the most intriguing. We’ll she start or be the 6th man? Wherever Danger ends up in the rotation, IMO Danger will have a breakout year, reminding many of Mo, but with a more developed offensive game.

But there’s more. The last time we saw Z almost two years ago, she was 1st team All-ACC and honorable mention AA. Since that time, she has honed her skills in private under the direction of Geno, CD and others. Some basketball analysts have publicly stated that Z will be the best player in the country this coming season. While that may be a bit of hyperbole, by the same token it may be spot on.

Then there is Batouly. As a freshman, she worked her way into the starting lineup on a very good KY team as a tough defender and rebounder, with a nice scoring touch from 15 ft in. After two years of working with Geno and company, we will see Batouly’s sophomore leap and it will be something to behold. On just about every other team in the nation, Batouly would start. On UConn, Batouly will be a fierce inside presence off the bench.

Oh by the way, the Huskies have the top freshmen classes in the nation coming in including the #1 recruit. Is there any way we can start the season tomorrow?

Reaction Score
Then there is Batouly. As a freshman, she worked her way into the starting lineup on a very good KY team as a tough defender and rebounder, with a nice scoring touch from 15 ft in. After two years of working with Geno and company, we will see Batouly’s sophomore leap and it will be something to behold. On just about every other team in the nation, Batouly would start. On UConn, Batouly will be a fierce inside presence off the bench.
Great, as always, Oldude.

For me, the curiosity is Batouly. If she can exert herself under the boards, even coming off the bench, and contribute enough to the offense at the same time, it takes enormous pressure off everyone else. Also, if Z does decide to go pro at the end of the year, it will be really important having her the following year (or more likely 2 years).

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
One of the reasons I love WBB is that you get to see the top players develop over 4 or 5 years, unlike MBB where “one & done” is the rule for most of the top players. There are a number of coaches who consistently do an outstanding job of developing players, including Tara, Muffet, Dawn and many others. Some other coaches are less effective and it shows in their team’s performance. But the absolute, unquestioned masters at player development are Geno, his coaching staff and the training staff at UConn.

UConn makes good players great and great players even greater. While we often focus on Husky superstars like DT, Maya and Stewie, the development of individuals like Kelly Ferris, Steph and Saniya into legitimate professional basketball players is absolutely astonishing. UConn develops the complete player and person, focusing on physical development, basketball skills and emotional intelligence.

On a number of occasions, I’ve stated that UConn is loaded this coming year. The Huskies have size, depth and experience. But the scariest thought to the rest of WBB for the 2017-18 season is that UConn will return 9 talented players who will all be considerably better than the last time we all saw them on the court. Think about what that means. UConn was 36-1 last year, losing only in OT by a single basket in the national semi-final.

Starting with the four returning starters, three of which were 1st team AA’s, Kia, Gabby, Pheesa & Lou have all had their end of season meetings with Geno, who gave them their marching orders on what they need to work on. With the loss to MS St as motivation, they will come back stronger and more focused. I expect Pheesa and Lou to be more physical this year. Gabby will be a better outside shooter and (spoiler alert), Kia will be among the leading 3-pt shooters in the nation.

Danger, Kyla and Molly will all make the sophomore leap. Of course, Danger will be the most intriguing. We’ll she start or be the 6th man? Wherever Danger ends up in the rotation, IMO Danger will have a breakout year, reminding many of Mo, but with a more developed offensive game.

But there’s more. The last time we saw Z almost two years ago, she was 1st team All-ACC and honorable mention AA. Since that time, she has honed her skills in private under the direction of Geno, CD and others. Some basketball analysts have publicly stated that Z will be the best player in the country this coming season. While that may be a bit of hyperbole, by the same token it may be spot on.

Oh by the way, the Huskies have the top freshmen classes in the nation coming in including the #1 recruit. Is there any way we can start the season tomorrow?
Given that the UConn program is the most strenuous in the nation, no two players have practiced harder and been rewarded with less playing time--as in none at all per NCAA rules--than Z and Batouly. "All good things come to those who wait." Watch the fireworks this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

For me, the curiosity is Batouly. If she can exert herself under the boards, even coming off the bench, and contribute enough to the offense at the same time, it takes enormous pressure off everyone else. Also, if Z does decide to go pro at the end of the year, it will be really important having her the following year (or more likely 2 years).
I have suggested that Batouly may be "a working man's Morgan Tuck," maybe not quite at the same skill level, but with every bit as much strength and toughness.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They are going to be deep, in contrast to last year. We have 8 players that would start anywhere. The starting lineup will change to match the opponent and players will get the rest they need.
Ummm, no. That has never been Geno's MO. When he gets a starting lineup he sticks with it unless there are injuries, doghouse events, senior night, or a newby works their way into it. But it doesn't change to match an opponent.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

WOW.........................great post Oldude. Even though I've never met you, I can tell we are a lot alike. We love the UConn women's basketball program, we like to write, and brevity is not one of our finer points. We could very easily write a daily sports column, especially if we had access to the players, the staff, could watch practice in person on a regular basis, and could sit in on media press conferences. We'd be a couple of "hot shot" reporters/columnists to be sure. I agree with your take on Crystal. I'm ready for the Italy games to begin today!!! ;)

Reaction Score
Last year, in the beginning, I viewed the season with trepidation, envisioning multiple losses. I had no idea that the past season would be so successful. This year, considering the new freshman class, the returning starters and great sophomores, I am significantly more optimistic about the prospects going forward.

With the skill sets that are available from these talented young women, I am anxious to begin this next season. The combinations that Geno could employ in meeting a variety of situations will be exciting to behold.

Wish the season would begin sooner.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Oh to be in Geno's shoes with the wealth of talent available to him. I'm sure many coaches are envious of his position.

Oldude you pretty much nailed it. I'm really looking forward to this coming season. For those returning players, and this includes Z and Camara, I agree they will be on a mission. That is not a good sign for our opponents. I do think there were games last year when the team did loose its focus and struggled.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Camara on the court. I've got feeling she is going to be an impressive force in the paint, both on offense and on defense. Saw Z the last time Duke came to Hartford and got their butts handed to them. Z was impressive then. I can only imagine what she is going to be like under the teaching and guidance of our coaching staff.

The Beast of the East - the top Dog - is back. Bring it on. I can't wait! I'll be getting out tickets when we play USF and CFU down here in Florida.

Reaction Score
They are going to be deep, in contrast to last year. We have 8 players that would start anywhere. The starting lineup will change to match the opponent and players will get the rest they need.
Not only 8 that would start anywhere else, but can you name 8 in the entire rest of the country that could displace ANY of our starters?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not only 8 that would start anywhere else, but can you name 8 in the entire rest of the country that could displace ANY of our starters?
There are very few, maybe only 1, or 2 max. Off the top of my head, if UCONN had either SR A'ja Wilson (forward/center) or SR Jordin Canada (PG). The reason I list those 2 as maybe the ONLY ones is twofold.

First, both are seniors and should be just sensational for their respective teams. 2nd, both have uber strengths that UCONN has question marks on - SR Canada vs. SO Danger - I think Canada will have a stronger year and obviously she has more experience. SR Wilson vs. RS JR Stevens - no idea what we will get from Stevens this year, or even how much time she will spend in the post, but given that Gabby has a great handle/athleticism, and a terrific mid range game, and Collier is a matchup nightmare as well able to drain the 3 or score inside, Wilson would really be our only elite post player with size.

With Wilson, it's size in the post. As a senior, she will be very hard to stop down low. She's not shown much of an outside shot, but UCONN hardly needs that and if we had her, I think she'd easily be the 5th starter ahead of Stevens or Danger.

With Canada, it's much the same thing. Yes we all expect Danger to be terrific, but it remains to be seen if she or Stevens is the 5th starter. I believe that Canada will be the best floor general in the nation in 2017-2018, and were she on UCONN's roster, I believe she'd also start ahead of Danger or Stevens.

Reaction Score
I would agree with Aja Wilson, that was about the only one that immediately came to mind. I don't think I saw enough of Canada, but I don't think Crystal Dangerfield will be a starter, so she would have to replace Nurse or Gabby as a starter. Good analysis!

There are very few, maybe only 1, or 2 max. Off the top of my head, if UConn had either SR A'ja Wilson (forward/center) or SR Jordin Canada (PG). The reason I list those 2 as maybe the ONLY ones is twofold.

First, both are seniors and should be just sensational for their respective teams. 2nd, both have uber strengths that UConn has question marks on - SR Canada vs. SO Danger - I think Canada will have a stronger year and obviously she has more experience. SR Wilson vs. RS JR Stevens - no idea what we will get from Stevens this year, or even how much time she will spend in the post, but given that Gabby has a great handle/athleticism, and a terrific mid range game, and Collier is a matchup nightmare as well able to drain the 3 or score inside, Wilson would really be our only elite post player with size.

With Wilson, it's size in the post. As a senior, she will be very hard to stop down low. She's not shown much of an outside shot, but UConn hardly needs that and if we had her, I think she'd easily be the 5th starter ahead of Stevens or Danger.

With Canada, it's much the same thing. Yes we all expect Danger to be terrific, but it remains to be seen if she or Stevens is the 5th starter. I believe that Canada will be the best floor general in the nation in 2017-2018, and were she on UConn's roster, I believe she'd also start ahead of Danger or Stevens.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There are very few, maybe only 1, or 2 max. Off the top of my head, if UConn had either SR A'ja Wilson (forward/center) or SR Jordin Canada (PG).

Those are the first two names that popped into my head. Haven't come up with a third name so far.

Wait, you guys don't want a high volume shooter like Kelsey Mitchell on your team?

Reaction Score

For me, the curiosity is Batouly. If she can exert herself under the boards, even coming off the bench, and contribute enough to the offense at the same time, it takes enormous pressure off everyone else. Also, if Z does decide to go pro at the end of the year, it will be really important having her the following year (or more likely 2 years).[/QUOTE
]
If Batouly is half as good as Kia said--she'll be someone I'll be watching--and an asset. Azura, I will be broken hearted if she chooses to go pro after this year--but this is why she came to Uconn to be primed for the big time and go with a top status in to the draft. I won't like it --but I can understand it.
I second your Great, as usual, Oldude. He hit all 88 keys on the Uconn piano.
His assessment of Danger--is much as I see it, yet I have great hope she'll start at point--the hold back is--Geno is LOYAL to kids you give their all for 3 years--and that's Kia--how can he sit Kia? This is one problem I'm happy I don't have.

Reaction Score
There are very few, maybe only 1, or 2 max. Off the top of my head, if UConn had either SR A'ja Wilson (forward/center) or SR Jordin Canada (PG). The reason I list those 2 as maybe the ONLY ones is twofold.

First, both are seniors and should be just sensational for their respective teams. 2nd, both have uber strengths that UConn has question marks on - SR Canada vs. SO Danger - I think Canada will have a stronger year and obviously she has more experience. SR Wilson vs. RS JR Stevens - no idea what we will get from Stevens this year, or even how much time she will spend in the post, but given that Gabby has a great handle/athleticism, and a terrific mid range game, and Collier is a matchup nightmare as well able to drain the 3 or score inside, Wilson would really be our only elite post player with size.

With Wilson, it's size in the post. As a senior, she will be very hard to stop down low. She's not shown much of an outside shot, but UConn hardly needs that and if we had her, I think she'd easily be the 5th starter ahead of Stevens or Danger.

With Canada, it's much the same thing. Yes we all expect Danger to be terrific, but it remains to be seen if she or Stevens is the 5th starter. I believe that Canada will be the best floor general in the nation in 2017-2018, and were she on UConn's roster, I believe she'd also start ahead of Danger or Stevens.

Eric--I respect and like most , if not all, of what you write--knowledgable.
Canada I though she was exceptional this year and just fun to watch.
HOWEVER, and I agree we have not seen Danger or Azura this year yet, but can you think of any HS top point guard Geno got and didn't make into a top level guard? If there is one--I'm your you'd be the one who knows! I believe that Geno did just that to Danger--his timing of game time at the end of last season spoke of his trust in her.
Azura was an AA Candidate in her Duke frosh year--don't you think a year plus practicing with Geno and company wouldn't take a top player and make her great-er?
I will take Azura against Wilson and I will take the combo of Kia/Danger against Canada ---and give you 10 points in either game. We shall see--and it is scheduled.

Reaction Score
Ummm, no. That has never been Geno's MO. When he gets a starting lineup he sticks with it unless there are injuries, doghouse events, senior night, or a newby works their way into it. But it doesn't change to match an opponent.

Way back in the dark days PMC (pre -Multiple-championships) Geno and Christine had an over abundance of talented players--Christine kept a record of "minutes". I don't remember whether he matched up by mixing and matching--but I doubt if he had the players --he'd leave an opponent run rampant --not wanting to go from his "8" rotation. Obviously if "minutes" were an issue the 8 rotation was mostly for starting---

Reaction Score
Last year, in the beginning, I viewed the season with trepidation, envisioning multiple losses. I had no idea that the past season would be so successful. This year, considering the new freshman class, the returning starters and great sophomores, I am significantly more optimistic about the prospects going forward.

With the skill sets that are available from these talented young women, I am anxious to begin this next season. The combinations that Geno could employ in meeting a variety of situations will be exciting to behold.

Wish the season would begin sooner.
Not wanting to interfere with you angst ==and the pleasure it gives you--but each year is a new box of chocolates-each one with a different center--and Xmas is right around the corner --starting on First Nite (maybe not this year). It's just fun opening each present Geno delivers to us--and he has the most beautiful Raindeers ==and talented. On Kia, On Danger, On Azura, and Katie Lou and Collier--On Erwin, Molly, Megan, Alex, away , away---away ALL..

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Not wanting to interfere with you angst ==and the pleasure it gives you--but each year is a new box of chocolates-each one with a different center--and Xmas is right around the corner --starting on First Nite (maybe not this year). It's just fun opening each present Geno delivers to us--and he has the most beautiful Raindeers ==and talented. On Kia, On Danger, On Azura, and Katie Lou and Collier--On Erwin, Molly, Megan, Alex, away , away---away ALL..

But, but BV, do you recall the most beautiful reindeer of them all? You left Gabby red-faced (um, nosed) by omission.

Reaction Score
Personally, and I may be the only one on the BY that feels this way, I am thrilled that Aja Wilson signed and is playing for SoCar & NOT UCONN! I just don't like her game! Yes she's a talented athlete but she strikes me as high maintenance, I think Azura is going to put Aja to shame! Azura is almost a Stewie clone IMHO! Aja NEEDS press conferences and Stewie just needed the hood of her Dad's pickup!
For all the pre-college publicity you would think Aja had a deadly inside & outside game. But she's basically a 15' and in player!
UCONN has shown when they are really physical with Aja, she folds her tent and goes away!
Before I get attacked for MHO above, that is what I get when I see Aja play! We'll have to agree to disagree!
Azura & Batouly are going to become huge fan favorites, Azura is more well-rounded and Batouly is a banger in the true sense. BC won't dazzle you with her point totals, but she reminds me of Jamelle Elliot back in the early '90's! She enjoys the physical aspects of an inside player! And is more than willing to sacrifice her totals to pass, block out, garbage baskets, whatever the team needs!
I have more respect for UCLA's Jordin Canada! I think she's the real deal! She plays the most like a UCONN player!
And finally, SoCar won the NCAA title for one reason, UCONN wasn't in the Finals! It's all about matchups and UCONN vs MSU surprisingly became a poor matchup for our Huskies while UCONN owns Dawn Staley and SoCar!
This coming season UCONN will not have any poor matchups, they have tremendous players/people with the best coaching staff in all WBB, the WNBA or WCBB working their magic with the girls day-in-and-day-out!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom