The Sanogo oxymoron. | The Boneyard

The Sanogo oxymoron.

Reaction Score
I think last night you saw that the only way to really slow down Sanogo (without the help of the officials) is to speed him up. And the officials may have had a little to do with that last night as well. He just seemed like he was playing at a pace that was just too fast and he struggled. It happens. Guys are itching and rearing to go, and it takes time to slow the game down.

Reaction Score
I think last night you saw that the only way to really slow down Sanogo (without the help of the officials) is to speed him up. And the officials may have had a little to do with that last night as well. He just seemed like he was playing at a pace that was just too fast and he struggled. It happens. Guys are itching and rearing to go, and it takes time to slow the game down.
*paradox

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

If he struggles to score 25 points, I can't wait to see him once he's figured everything out!

Reaction Score
I think Clingan’s accelerated development is going to be great for Adama. He may not score more points per game, but he looked fresher in crunch time than he did last year. Imagine tired opponents having to play a fresh Adama in the last few minutes?

Reaction Score
I think you used the wrong word when you said he “struggled”.
He did struggle for the 1st 10-12 minutes of the second half and the 1st half was okay. He had passes go through his hands and unforced turnovers. When he came back in from his long rest out after the 3rd foul call, he was lights out. But before than, he was sped up and a little out of sorts.
I didn't mean he struggled for the entiriety of the game. He struggled when he was trying to do too much too quickly.

Reaction Score
I think Clingan’s accelerated development is going to be great for Adama. He may not score more points per game, but he looked fresher in crunch time than he did last year. Imagine tired opponents having to play a fresh Adama in the last few minutes?
And going against Clingan in practice will help Adama when he does have to face a center with size.

There were times last year when Sanogo was exhausted at the end of games. Clingan will help keep him fresh.

Reaction Score
He did struggle for the 1st 10-12 minutes of the second half and the 1st half was okay. He had passes go through his hands and unforced turnovers. When he came back in from his long rest out after the 3rd foul call, he was lights out. But before than, he was sped up and a little out of sorts.
I didn't mean he struggled for the entiriety of the game. He struggled when he was trying to do too much too quickly.
He did struggle for a stretch, but he adapted and prevailed. I think them getting in his ear had something to do about it.

One thing I will say unrelated, he seems like he's enjoying it more this year. Maybe its just me but I feel like he's embracing his teammates more. Not as disinterested.

Reaction Score
I saw someone compare Adama's game to Zac Randolph a while back and the more I think about it its a very apt comparison (if not physique). Adama is a finess player. Obviously he's super strong physically - but between the range on his jumper, and his go-to post moves, they are not power moves. Add to that he's probbbbably like 6'7.5 without hair and shoes and he's going to struggle to score down low amongst a bunch of 6'11-7' dudes.

What I think game highlighted was how he has forged himself into a skilled versatile player and adapted his game wisely as the game went along - he realized he was going to be innefficient down low so he started drawing his defenders out to the perimeter to make them move their feet and either drove by them, shot over them, or used movement in the paint to find angles.

2 things - First, that is professional. It didn't affect his confidence, and he didn't mope - he went to work and figured the game out in his head, and honestly that's the highest level of competitive basketball. Second, add in Donovan Clingan absolutely mauling people while Adama is out, and those two feed off of each other - tiring out the opponent, throwing them really hard matchups to adjust to, etc. We can expect teams to wear down all year under the hoop having to play these two beasts.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Here's Sanogo's 2nd half, line by line. Not sure there's any part of that line I'd call a 'struggle'.

18:47 Adama Sanogo Block
18:16 Adama Sanogo missed Jumper
17:07 Adama Sanogo Turnover

16:41 Adama Sanogo made Layup Assisted by Tristen Newton
16:06 Foul on Adama Sanogo
10:35 Jordan Hawkins made Layup Assisted by Adama Sanogo.
9:36 Adama Sanogo missed Three Point Jumper
9:04 Adama Sanogo made Free Throw
9:04 Adama Sanogo made Free Throw
8:28 Adama Sanogo made Layup

7:55 Adama Sanogo Defensive Rebound
6:43 Adama Sanogo made Dunk Assisted by Tristen Newton
6:22 Adama Sanogo Defensive Rebound
6:05 Adama Sanogo Block
5:37 Adama Sanogo made Three Point Jumper Assisted by Tristen Newton
4:22 Adama Sanogo made Jumper Assisted by Alex Karaban
3:18 Adama Sanogo made Layup Assisted by Alex Karaban
2:11 Adama Sanogo made Jumper