The running game. | The Boneyard

The running game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have no idea what Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumber (P and GDL) were thinking with this offense, but how the running game got so duckked up is a mystery to me. Even in a crisis scenario TJ and Foley were able to get this to something approaching competence. This may not be the best OL, but it is big and some of these guys remember how to move folks around. We also don't have the best set of running backs we've ever had in the program either. But, Delorenzo in particular gets into the holes quickly and commands that defenses respect the run.

It's really a shame that things had to degenerate to this type of season. Had P demanded that a solid running game be kept in place instead of allowing the chaos that was GDL's offense and OL, we would have won 8-9 games last season and this season would not have been the disaster it turned out to be. I knew we were in for a disaster after the Towson State game when the OL and running game were absolute . Maybe it's best these guys are gone, but they set this program on its ear the little time they were here.

It is my hope of hope that the younger guys on the depth chart for the OL are getting bigger and stronger every day and that there is some talent there that we have decided to red shirt rather than burn eligibility for in a lost season. It's also my hope that Marriner is being treated that way as well and that Newsome sticks with his commit and is ready to play right away. Those are all big IFs........

Reaction Score
P. nailed Delorenzo to the bench. He almost never ran him his freshman season. He pretty much ignored him this year. If he had played him, he might still have a job

Reaction Score
I have no idea what Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumber (P and GDL) were thinking with this offense, but how the running game got so duckked up is a mystery to me. Even in a crisis scenario TJ and Foley were able to get this to something approaching competence. This may not be the best OL, but it is big and some of these guys remember how to move folks around. We also don't have the best set of running backs we've ever had in the program either. But, Delorenzo in particular gets into the holes quickly and commands that defenses respect the run.

It's really a shame that things had to degenerate to this type of season. Had P demanded that a solid running game be kept in place instead of allowing the chaos that was GDL's offense and OL, we would have won 8-9 games last season and this season would not have been the disaster it turned out to be. I knew we were in for a disaster after the Towson State game when the OL and running game were absolute . Maybe it's best these guys are gone, but they set this program on its ear the little time they were here.

It is my hope of hope that the younger guys on the depth chart for the OL are getting bigger and stronger every day and that there is some talent there that we have decided to red shirt rather than burn eligibility for in a lost season. It's also my hope that Marriner is being treated that way as well and that Newsome sticks with his commit and is ready to play right away. Those are all big IFs........
Did you watch the goal line plays late in the game? They couldn't move anyone. By far a bigger disappointment than skill positions. Starting to think GDL didn't have much to work with at all.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the goal line plays late in the game? They couldn't move anyone. By far a bigger disappointment than skill positions. Starting to think GDL didn't have much to work with at all.

Look at what we've rushed for per game after P and GDL were canned?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Think you've been watching a different game than I have. The offensive line has been better in all aspects since Foley took over the oline

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Better, but not nearly good enough.

Reaction Score
Better, but not nearly good enough.

I think you need to take into consideration that changing schemes and game plans like they did can't be easy. The OL was torn down to the ground by an angry old man. To be able to do what they've done is pretty impressive.

I think if TJ stuck with the running game more instead of trying to pass so much with young QB's, they would have been even better. They passed 6 times in the 2nd half last night. I hope TJ got the message.

Reaction Score
The running game has been better, but it is all relative and only looks like a noticable improvement compared to some horrible performances this year like the Buffalo game. Giving kudos to the coaching staff for averaging 3 yards a carry is a bit much. They rushed 41 times for 124 versus the 87th rush defense and if you take away their longest rush they averaged 2.6 yards a carry on 40 attempts which is really bad. Good to see they are not rushing 39 times for 27 yards, but they have a long way to go.

Reaction Score
The offensive line did very nice job. It opened holes.

There's no reason why a running back, after going through the hole, couldn't make a move or break a tackle and make a long run. It's allowed.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The running game has been better, but it is all relative and only looks like a noticable improvement compared to some horrible performances this year like the Buffalo game. Giving kudos to the coaching staff for averaging 3 yards a carry is a bit much. They rushed 41 times for 124 versus the 87th rush defense and if you take away their longest rush they averaged 2.6 yards a carry on 40 attempts which is really bad. Good to see they are not rushing 39 times for 27 yards, but they have a long way to go.

This is a very short-sighted post. If you correct for the sack numbers against Temple, the average run goes up to 3.5 ypc. If you consider the fact that we ran the ball 6 additional times inside the 5 with 11 defenders in the box, it goes to 4 ypc. I'll take 4 yards per carry any day of the week.

Also, here are the rest of the numbers, post-PPGDL, in the run game when corrected for sack totals:

USF - 207 yards, 5.6 ypc
Cincy - 103 yards, 4.7 ypc
UCF - 104 yards, 3.9 ypc
'Ville - 83 yards, 3.1 ypc
SMU - 164 yards, 5.0 ypc

Two of those teams are ranked, and one is receiving votes. And we managed at least 3 yards per carry in all games, and about 4 ypc or greater in all but one game. Those are the numbers, and the numbers are good...

Addendum: Taking away the longest run in a game is dumb. It's like taking away the longest throw from a QB. If you hit a big one, that was the purpose of the run in the first place; to get good gains until you hit a great gain. Also, you have to remove sacks when analyzing the run game, because those happen on pass plays.

Reaction Score

If you want to skew the numbers, like you must have done, then that's fine....for you.

Take away the sack yards and what you have, for the entire year, is an average of 4.28 yds per rush. After the first 4 games, which the rushing yards were horrific, that is not a bad average.

The rushing numbers for the first 4 games vs the next 6 games are night and day. You can choose which glass is your favorite. Obviously yours is the glass half empty.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
sportsart said:
I think you need to take into consideration that changing schemes and game plans like they did can't be easy. The OL was torn down to the ground by an angry old man. To be able to do what they've done is pretty impressive.

I think if TJ stuck with the running game more instead of trying to pass so much with young QB's, they would have been even better. They passed 6 times in the 2nd half last night. I hope TJ got the message.

I have. 120 yards against a 1-9 team isn't good enough. Seven tries from inside the 5, isn't good enough. The fact that it is a noticeable improvement from the 16 games prior to the coaching chance says all you need to know about the P catastrophe.

Reaction Score
I have. 120 yards against a 1-9 team isn't good enough. Seven tries from inside the 5, isn't good enough. The fact that it is a noticeable improvement from the 16 games prior to the coaching chance says all you need to know about the P catastrophe.

Like I've said to others. You can look for the positives or you can look for the negatives. If you choose to think we are not good enough in the run game, I'm not going to try and convince you.

The fact of the matter is this. After all the damage GDL did, and he did a lot, this OL was able to change direction in mid stream and produce more than just a respectable running game.

I guess you are one of those people that think...."They should be able to change schemes in mid season and average 5 yds a carry".

If this line had Foley as a coach for the last 2 years this discussion would not be taking place.

There's a reason teams don't change coaching philosophies in mid season. It's almost impossible to implement something new and succeed. It takes repetition during the spring and summer just to get it partially right.

By mid season, if it's possible, the team should be clicking on all cylinders. To change up the entire blocking and offensive strategy after 4 games is asking for failure. IMHO the OL in regards to the run game is a big pass, not fail.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If this line had Foley as a coach for the last 2 years this discussion would not be taking place.

^^^ This! Absolutely this.

But remember that we don't need to convince the non-believers. Almost every duo in the announcer's booth since the switch to Foley has made a comment to the effect of, "UConn is getting things going in the ground game." Those are third-party professionals saying what you and I are saying, with nothing to gain for saying it. If people don't want to believe the statistics, at least believe the third-party people who are making the same comments...

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Like I've said to others. You can look for the positives or you can look for the negatives. If you choose to think we are not good enough in the run game, I'm not going to try and convince you.

The fact of the matter is this. After all the damage GDL did, and he did a lot, this OL was able to change direction in mid stream and produce more than just a respectable running game.

I guess you are one of those people that think...."They should be able to change schemes in mid season and average 5 yds a carry".

There's a reason teams don't change coaching philosophies in mid season. It's almost impossible to implement something new and succeed. It takes repetition during the spring and summer just to get it partially right.

By mid season, if it's possible, the team should be clicking on all cylinders. To change up the entire blocking and offensive strategy after 4 games is asking for failure. IMHO the OL in regards to the run game is a big pass, not fail.

I was asking about this before the coaching change and most thought it could not happen. Kudos for Foley and the work he has put in, and kudos to the guys for jumping on the schemes.

Reaction Score
P. nailed Delorenzo to the bench. He almost never ran him his freshman season. He pretty much ignored him this year. If he had played him, he might still have a job

Nah. The problem was the OL schemes. No one was going to be effective running the ball until the two old guys left.

Reaction Score
Nah. The problem was the OL schemes. No one was going to be effective running the ball until the two old guys left.
Gayle Sayers in his prime would have struggled to gain yardage behind our OL under DeLeone. Awful.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
sportsart said:

So what? They are much better now and still not good enough. Of course P and GDL did damage. We've been watching like a sinking ship for over two years. This isn't news. If you want to give out participation trophies or attaboy stickers because we finally won a game, go ahead.

I'd rather not sugarcoat this anymore than is required to stomach the rest of the season. I'd rather put expectations back where they belong. To reach them, the running game needs to be better, among other things.

Reaction Score
This is a very short-sighted post. If you correct for the sack numbers against Temple, the average run goes up to 3.5 ypc. If you consider the fact that we ran the ball 6 additional times inside the 5 with 11 defenders in the box, it goes to 4 ypc. I'll take 4 yards per carry any day of the week.

Also, here are the rest of the numbers, post-PPGDL, in the run game when corrected for sack totals:

USF - 207 yards, 5.6 ypc
Cincy - 103 yards, 4.7 ypc
UCF - 104 yards, 3.9 ypc
'Ville - 83 yards, 3.1 ypc
SMU - 164 yards, 5.0 ypc

Two of those teams are ranked, and one is receiving votes. And we managed at least 3 yards per carry in all games, and about 4 ypc or greater in all but one game. Those are the numbers, and the numbers are good...

Addendum: Taking away the longest run in a game is dumb. It's like taking away the longest throw from a QB. If you hit a big one, that was the purpose of the run in the first place; to get good gains until you hit a great gain. Also, you have to remove sacks when analyzing the run game, because those happen on pass plays.

At 4 ypc without minus sack yards puts Uconn in the bottom half of current FBS team rushing ave ypc which include sacks yards. Factoring out the 6 attempts it took to score inside the 5 is at least on par with taking out the single longest rush out of 41 attempts.

Reaction Score
We went from 45 yds per game rushing for the first 4 games to 116 yds per game for the next 6 games. If that's not good enough for you then you need to lower your expectations in line to what's realistic given the circumstances.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
At 4 ypc without minus sack yards puts Uconn in the bottom half of current FBS team rushing ave ypc which include sacks yards. Factoring out the 6 attempts it took to score inside the 5 is at least on par with taking out the single longest rush out of 41 attempts.

First of all, only 43 teams have kept their opponents to under 4 yards per carry (ironically, we are one of them). So you're flat out wrong.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/opponent-yards-per-rush-attempt

Secondly, taking out the goal-line stand rushes are not the same as the longest rush, because the longest rush doesn't happen with 11 in the box and almost no pass threat.

Enjoy...

Reaction Score
Foley deserves to keep his job and get a raise. The new head coach gets instant kudos if he keeps Foley.

Max is one of the few bright spots this season.

Go MAX!!!....one of the few bright spots was seeing Max bounce to outside and have the footspeed to turn the corner. I can only imagine the frustration knowing you can do the job and you are sitting. PLUS.PLUS
did not know what GDL was thinking reference a 170 lb running back or a 210 lb running back (MAX) every bit as quick and can deliver a blow to a linebacker. Big difference in the second half of ANY game when you cue on a 170 vs 210 guy that can hurt you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom