The Right Fit | The Boneyard

The Right Fit

Reaction Score
After watching the FSU/UConn game, I tuned in to watch Stanford vs Tennessee. The Lady Vols have talent, but have too many bodies for too little playing time. Team chemistry has to suffer when there is a constant run of substitutions. In contrast, Stanford revolves their subs around their big three of Jones, Brink and Jump.

The portal and NIL have impacted the game and how coaches approach recruiting talent. In the glory days of baseball, teams like the Dodgers and Braves built their success around developing and harnessing home grown talent. The other method was buying the best talent money could buy, similar to what the portal offers and what NIL may be down the road.

UConn, SC and Stanford for the most part, build their programs organically. They may add a transfer or two, but it is selective and to fill a specific need. In UConn's case, they have hit the jackpot with their last 3. Evina's contributions to the program, particularly in the pandemic season was immeasurable. The pandemic season was unlike any season prior, and she took 7 freshmen under her wing, built an amazing chemistry within and recognized the talent of Paige and supported her efforts to be the on-court leader in her first season. While Evina's court prowess might not have reached expected heights, I say she far exceeded them off the court.

Dora & Lou have also been remarkable additions. Who can ever forget how the team surrounded Dorka after the NC St game, when she broke her wrist. Look at how seamlessly Lou has fit into the UConn style. She appears like she has been part of the team for years. It helps that both are in their 5th seasons, and come from different backgrounds and countries, but I believe it attributes more to character and willingness to fit in. Yes, talent is the calling card, but equally important is how well a transfer fits the personality of the team. Fortunately, UConn is hitting home runs with their last three.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom