The ricochet assist? | The Boneyard

The ricochet assist?

Reaction Score
I've been rewatching some highlights for the second, or third time, and started to look for what I'll call, for lack of a proper term, the ricochet assist. (If there is an official term, please educate me). The setup is when there is one or two quick touch pass(es), used to get the best angle to the open shooter, for the shot. It is a thing of beauty and very hard to defend when done in rapid fire. You can see how it frustrates and deflates the defenders.This year's huskies had 684 assists on the season and I believe the ability to get the ball to the assistor is one of the reasons. It shows up over and over in this year's highlights. To me it represents good, pure, team basketball. Another reason this year's team was so much fun to watch. We had good passers.
I'm sure there are drills that all couches run in practice but I don't notice much of it from other teams in games.

Sick Puppy

Remember, you wanted this.
Reaction Score
I've been rewatching some highlights for the second, or third time, and started to look for what I'll call, for lack of a proper term, the ricochet assist. (If there is an official term, please educate me). The setup is when there is one or two quick touch pass(es), used to get the best angle to the open shooter, for the shot. It is a thing of beauty and very hard to defend when done in rapid fire. You can see how it frustrates and deflates the defenders.This year's huskies had 684 assists on the season and I believe the ability to get the ball to the assistor is one of the reasons. It shows up over and over in this year's highlights. To me it represents good, pure, team basketball. Another reason this year's team was so much fun to watch. We had good passers.
I'm sure there are drills that all couches run in practice but I don't notice much of it from other teams in games.
Great observation. For me, it was super fun and fluid team basketball for many reasons, not the least of which was fabulous passing, and Hawk's non-stop Rip Hamilton/Dollar Bill Bradley moving and cutting to get open. Kind of reminds me of the old Red Holtzman Knicks now that I get to thinking about it. Willis Reed/Adama Sonogo? Yea, kinda.

Reaction Score
Dont know if we ever see a team as smart and assist capable as this year.

Reaction Score
It's usually a good sign that near an entire team or the entire team trust each other to find the open man. They know the ball will find a way back to them if they are the ones getting open on another possession. Guys don't have to 'get theirs' and often leads to a very balance attack, which the Huskies certainly had this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom