The Resurgence of Aaliyah Edwards | The Boneyard

The Resurgence of Aaliyah Edwards

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

“For the longest time we were trying to find out why there was such a difference from last season to this season,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. “I think the change has been so noticeable. I can’t put my finger on why but she’s practicing better.

“She’s playing better. She’s more confident. She’s getting more things accomplished and the games reflect that. … But to me it’s just the way she looks and the way it feels having her out there right now that’s really, really good.”

Reaction Score
All the pieces are coming together. AE is a big part of that. Major plus under the hoop on both ends of the court. We will just have to put up with her 3/4 steps to the basket without a dribble. I look at it as a UCONN tradition.

Reaction Score
That travelling call, didn't see the replay, but in real time it looked absolutely fine to me. She caught the pass and stepped left foot, right foot, then put the shot up. nothing wrong that I saw.

On offense, except for brief moments, keep her down low!

Reaction Score
That travelling call, didn't see the replay, but in real time it looked absolutely fine to me. She caught the pass and stepped left foot, right foot, then put the shot up. nothing wrong that I saw.

She did that twice in the tournament. Same exact play, same exact outcome. Maybe in Canadian ball you can catch the ball just beyond the arc and run it in the rest of the way if there's no defenders around you.

Reaction Score
So happy for Aaliyah. Her play over the last several games has been very noticeable. Huge improvement. Like Coach G said, you can see the confidence out on the floor. She is going to be a nice X factor during the Dance. But really happy to see Aaliyah playing with such confidence out there and at the perfect time!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I love Aaliyah and am delighted with her progress, rejuvination
But she walks on almost every move towards the basket
It's just that the refs only call some....

Reaction Score
She has had some "Happy Feet" this year......

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Aaliyah's traveling flubs . . . Seems like some intense work during low post drills could/should get rid of those. But she does deserve applause for her work on the offensive boards, and I've zeroed in on her defensive box-outs, which have made her much more effective at that end of the court. Last, I think she could make a dramatic difference in our offensive sets if she develops confidence in her foul line/elbow jump shot.

Reaction Score
I think Geno deserves a lot of credit for this. It couldn't have been an easy call, but he decided to stick with her in the starting line-up when Dorka came back from injury. Even before making that official decision, just from his postgame comments, you could tell that he believed in Aaliyah and wanted to get more out of her. Also credit goes to AE as well, as I always thought she was playing hard, even if at times she was not playing well. But I really enjoy watching the bigs play on the team, they seem to have great synergy. It will be interesting to see how they fair in the post season against some of the more formidable frontlines. SC and Oregon bigs outplayed them this season but that was before each of our bigs really hit their stride (though ONO played pretty well in both games). If we match up with Baylor, NC State or even Michigan, it will be interesting to see how the bigs fair.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
...is awesome. When she's on she's just so much fun to watch. Other than Bueckers, she has the most intensity of anyone on this current team, and I for one really enjoy seeing it unleashed. Now she just needs to learn how to dribble between steps. :D

Reaction Score
If she walks, "on almost every move towards the basket", she should be called for travelling on almost every move towards the basket.

Reaction Score
So glad to see Aailyah slowly rediscovering her form. Yes, she walks often as evidenced in the last couple weeks but her current form is night and day compared to the early in the season. Her smile is back. She will be a crucial piece when UConn plays against physical teams and deep in the NCAA tournament. Liv is the finesse type player but Aaliyah will be able to go toe-to-toe or outmuscled some of the opponents. Welcome back the REAL Aaliyah!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

At the game, I saw she was very far from the basket and would get called for traveling. On the replay, I think it was just 2 very long strides.

Reaction Score
I think Geno deserves a lot of credit for this. It couldn't have been an easy call, but he decided to stick with her in the starting line-up when Dorka came back from injury. Even before making that official decision, just from his postgame comments, you could tell that he believed in Aaliyah and wanted to get more out of her. Also credit goes to AE as well, as I always thought she was playing hard, even if at times she was not playing well. But I really enjoy watching the bigs play on the team, they seem to have great synergy. It will be interesting to see how they fair in the post season against some of the more formidable frontlines. SC and Oregon bigs outplayed them this season but that was before each of our bigs really hit their stride (though ONO played pretty well in both games). If we match up with Baylor, NC State or even Michigan, it will be interesting to see how the bigs fair.
I think the impetus for that decision came when Olivia was out. He saw that Dorka was much more effective at the five and using her almost exclusively there gave him more protection against Olivia’s fouling tendencies. It also provided more opportunities to use Caroline as the back up at the four in four-guard sets, thus giving more floor time for her and for Evina. So far, his use of a nine-woman rotation has been superb.

Reaction Score
Refs are probably like, we could be here all night! We will just call a few.

Reaction Score
If you watch Boston play, she's basically Joel Embid pushing her way into the basket. She needs to get called on that some. No one is going to stop her otherwise.
AE can stop her

Reaction Score
One may scoff at this but if we saw girls that were in elementary school, taller/bigger kids especially, who showed some promise and interest we had them jump rope for foot skills and believe it or not egg toss to develop soft hands. Had the kids loft a bball between each of their hands eyes closed - great progress with hand/eye. What neighborhood block party didn’t have half-inebriated parents getting in to an egg toss contest? We did this from 3rd grade up thru AAU and we had tremendous success. It carried over to other sports too.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
...is awesome. When she's on she's just so much fun to watch. Other than Bueckers, she has the most intensity of anyone on this current team, and I for one really enjoy seeing it unleashed. Now she just needs to learn how to dribble between steps. :D

Sorry but I don’t think anyone out-intensifies Nika.

Reaction Score
I've never seen a player make shooting a layup so complicated. She has certainly improved lately but can still be a TO machine. Way too often our bigs have a serious problem when receiving the ball in the low post and making something positive happen. Now having outside shooters who can spread the floor will help. Less congestion in the middle and less weakside help...just keep the damn pivot foot glued to the floor until you dribble.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Haha, fair. I think of Nika as giving off more energizer bunny energy and Edwards as giving off more terminator kill energy. ;)
Good point. Gets to the notion that there are different types of intensity. Paige’s is quite quiet and almost subdued (the exception being her lioness roar when UConn makes a big play) whereas Nika’s is rather aggressive, and Aaliyah’s lies in between.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom