The refs? | The Boneyard

The refs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
IMO Kudos. They seemed to be almost non existent despite the dire warnings about the new rules resulting in too many fouls disrupting the flow of the game.

OTOH there didn't seem to be a lot of banging in the post and slapping by the guards. I think that's a good thing in the long run. Good job by both coaches preparing their teams.

Reaction Score
One advantage of the new rules is that they will give losing teams more excuses for the losses.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought the refs did a very respectable job last night. In the long run I think the new enforcement of the old rules will improve the calling of the games and will reduce the amount of interpretation in the rules as to how much is too much and when is it enough to call it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree - thought the refs were very good last night - no issue with any calls except just a question - there were two 50/50 balls where the defender and offensive player were both going for a pass and arrived shoulder to shoulder - in one case MoJeff actually had both hands on the ball and passed it to a teammate. In both cases the defender was called for the foul and I thought in both cases it might have been better as a no-call, certainly the MoJeff one (the other was I believe Bria and less clear cut.)
So this is just a question on the rules and whether the offensive player is automatically to receive the benefit of the doubt?
The other rules issue I have is if hand checks are now fouls I think they have to also be calling the offensive player 'off-hand' protection of the dribble - there were a few instances last night that I thought should be fouls where that arm was used to the defenders body.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I never get upset about bad calls or missed calls in a game. If we accept that the players aren't perfect we should be able to do the same for the refs.

My problem with officials is when they affect the game, i.e. incessant tweets disrupting the flow of the game or even worse when they wrongly impact the outcome of the game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Agree - thought the refs were very good last night - no issue with any calls except just a question - there were two 50/50 balls where the defender and offensive player were both going for a pass and arrived shoulder to shoulder - in one case MoJeff actually had both hands on the ball and passed it to a teammate. In both cases the defender was called for the foul and I thought in both cases it might have been better as a no-call, certainly the MoJeff one (the other was I believe Bria and less clear cut.)
So this is just a question on the rules and whether the offensive player is automatically to receive the benefit of the doubt?
The other rules issue I have is if hand checks are now fouls I think they have to also be calling the offensive player 'off-hand' protection of the dribble - there were a few instances last night that I thought should be fouls where that arm was used to the defenders body.
Someone would have to look up the offensive rule, but the "hand check" rule being enforced applies to hands specifically on the "ball handler".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Officials tweeting the game ridiculous! Chris Dailey will have a fit if she catches them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom