• Yes

Votes: 64 56.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 43.9%

• Total voters

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score

I’m curious, how many of you actually believe in Edsall? This is absurd.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
You seems like someone who is genuinely invested in the success of the program
More or less. I’d love a power football program, but it bothers me that a goal to be a decent team is what is keeping me from watching the basketball team playing on big Monday against Villanova every year.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
More or less. I’d love a power football program, but it bothers me that a goal to be a decent team is what is keeping me from watching the basketball team playing on big Monday against Villanova every year.

Actually it isn’t. What’s keeping you is the fans that don’t understand the importance of football. And an athletic department that doesn’t understand the importance of spending money so that people understand what’s important.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The Big East having a Fox contract not ESPN would stop that too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We beat out FBS programs for 80% of our HS SR commits. I don't think that ever happened under Diaco.

The 2016 class may have been around there, but it also was filled with guys who didn't fit our positional needs, and was so small that it left scholarships open

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
The 2016 class may have been around there, but it also was filled with guys who didn't fit our positional needs, and was so small that it left scholarships open

68.75%, but astonishingly that was still his best effort.

Now that I'm looking back at my notes, it really didn't sink in how egregious the 2015 class was until now. 22 signees and only 6 had offers from any other FBS school. 6.

Reaction Score

Now that I'm looking back at my notes, it really didn't sink in how egregious the 2015 class was until now. 22 signees and only 6 had offers from any other FBS school. 6.

... and that class was ranked #99 nationally on 247.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Oh joy, another recruiting rankings article.

Reaction Score

I’m curious, how many of you actually believe in Edsall? This is absurd.

Well it's not true, so it's going to be pretty difficult to have a discussion. And if you weren't just doing a fly-by you'd understand peoples thoughts on the program.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Forgot about that part. But don’t let it take away from my withdrawal of meaningful games against major programs.
UConn can't beat the teams in their own "meaningless" conference. Why do all the bball, UConn should move to the Big East, fans think it would be better to be in the BE? We'd get crushed and it wouldn't be any more enjoyable.

Let's also not forget that a lot of the teams we loved to hate and watch are no longer there.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
UConn can't beat the teams in their own "meaningless" conference. Why do all the bball, UConn should move to the Big East, fans think it would be better to be in the BE? We'd get crushed and it wouldn't be any more enjoyable.

Let's also not forget that a lot of the teams we loved to hate and watch are no longer there.

These two groups are not always the same. To your point though no it would not be good for UConn to be in the NBE because it's the NBE not the BE.

Reaction Score
These two groups are not always the same. To your point though no it would not be good for UConn to be in the NBE because it's the NBE not the BE.

What do you mean? It makes perfect sense for a flagship state school like The University of Connecticut to play nostalgia hoops in a mid major conference comprised of 9/10 private Catholic Universities. Even Notre Dame is smart enough not to align themselves with this outfit and they are THE most identifiable Catholic School in the country.

Reaction Score

Obviously, the talent evaluators at the other FBS schools missed big time on 16 of our recruits.

Reaction Score
Edsall is a far better evaluator of talent than any of the internet "experts." I am not a huge Edsall fan. But I was here for his entire first tenure. And his recruiting classes routinely played better on the field than any of the ratings would imply.

About the highest recruiting rating Edsall ever received was in the 70s. Most year's our classes were at the bottom of the conference rankings. Yet his teams were conference co-champs twice and they consistently performed above their recruiting and pre-season ranking.

The guy simply has an eye for talent. He is far beter at projecting where a high school player will be in two to three years than most of his competitors on the recruiting trail. Yep, it's frustrating to see low ranked class after low ranked class. But Edsall knows a lot more than the guys doing the rankings. I have to give Randy his due, this is one of his gifts.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Villanova ain't playing on Big Monday any time soon.

Reaction Score
Recruiting rankings are based on number of recruits and quality of recruits. If you have a class of 30 2* athletes, you will have a higher rated class than one with 15 3* athletes.

Here is UConn on 24/7 the past 5 years

2019: Quality = 0.8100 Quantity = 15
2018: Quality = 0.7972 Quantity = 24
2017: Quality = 0.7939 Quantity = 22
2016: Quality = 0.8019 Quantity = 18
2015: Quality = 0.7928 Quantity = 23

And, the 2019 class ranking does not include Gourdine rated 0.8365 (3rd highest ranked recruit) and the two Canadian recruits are not rated and rated 2*s, in other words, not evaluated. If you want UConn's recruits to be rated higher, then we have to pay to join 24/7 and get a writer for the site (and stop recruiting Canadians).

The way I see it is that UConn has their highest QUALITY of freshman recruits in the past 5 years and we also added four grad transfers. Plus, I think we will see another 3 to 5 players added to the class.

Reaction Score
I have a very hard time believing this class is worse than the final Diaco classes

The class ranking services don’t penalize you for an incoherent recruiting philosophy. You can recruit a class of 20 tight ends and keep racking up class ranking points even though the class makes no sense as a whole. So even if Diaco’s last class was somehow rated higher, we should take that with a grain of salt. Though big picture, it’s safe to say neither class was particularly highly rated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom