The Really Good News About Beating Oregon: | The Boneyard

The Really Good News About Beating Oregon:

Reaction Score
That wasn't our best game. That wasn't close to as good as we can play.

1. Shooting. 3 for 17 from 3, and 10 missed foul shots. This is not going to be a great shooting team, but we can do better than that.

2. Cobb out. We were missing one of our three center by committee members, and the other 2 couldn't step up and keep themselves on the court for more than 14 minutes. We can do better.

3. Passing. This team has to do better moving the ball than they did last night. It's fine to rely on quickness and dribble penetration, but it isn't hard to make the dribble penetration more effective by only starting it after you've moved the ball a little. Easily fixed.

4. This team is young and new to each other. You would expect us to make better than average improvement as the season moves forward, but this was our first real test.

And despite all that, we beat a team coming off a Final Four appearance, on the road (yes, I know it was technically a neutral site but in reality ...). Some of the things we showed last night -- quickness, defensive intensity and rebounding effort -- are things that can be brought every game.

This will be a real tough test tonight, but a lot of questions were answered favorably last night. And if we can't beat Michigan State, we will still have a shot at a second quality win on Sunday against Arkansas. We have a lot of first year pieces and two major pieces still shaking off rust. This could be an interesting ride.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1. This team can't shoot consistently. They need to either start making open outside shots or stop taking them (either will solve this) and applies to everyone not named Larrier.
2. Oregon can't defend, at all. Maybe this is the best dribble penetration team of all time but I doubt it.
3. We are beginning to see the positionless team that Ollie wants. The last run with 4 guards and Larrier in the middle worked better than I thought.
4. Our bigs contribute a lot without the ball and can score inside when called on. Want to see them stay on the floor.
5. The older guys are the ones to go to in crunch time. I have more confidence in Anderson to handle the ball and make his FT's at the end of games than anyone else.

Overall, I was not impressed by Oregon and thought this was a 15+ point win based on performance. That said, it was a HUGE step forward from the cupcake games and the exhibition vs PC. This team is already better and has more options than last year's squad. I noticed a few selfish possession, hopefully that doesn't become a regular thing. If they play together, they can be good.

Reaction Score
All true. I would add that this team is still learning how to win, how to close out games. They got it done. Last year they lose this game.

But Oregon made a halftime adjustment that worked. Domething to keep an eye on.

Reaction Score
This team can score in the 70's, that wins a lot more games than scoring in the low 60's. Amazing how long a 40 minute game is, lot of little games within. Hey Jay, seen any teams with "toughness" lately?

Reaction Score
Adams didn't play hero ball, that to me was telling. His basketball maturity is growing with every game. Last night he was basically un-guardable and was his own enemy. But in the end with 4 guards they all handled the rock.

I'm excited because his big games are going to come and opponents will be helpless. He's that good!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
All true. I would add that this team is still learning how to win, how to close out games. They got it done. Last year they lose this game.

But Oregon made a halftime adjustment that worked. Domething to keep an eye on.
Yeah. They copied us. We also took away their three point shot so they drove. We also kept them without a basket for over 9 minutes. Making their free throws kept them in it. We missed at least 4 bunnies and missed a ton of free throws

Reaction Score
Lack of assists is somewhat concerning, but we are at 23 in the RPI after last night. SMU and CFU's wins yesterday will also help the overall league RPI.

Reaction Score
Arkansas could easily beat UNC this afternoon, they are only +3.5 against the spread. Win or lose we will have another great test on Sunday.

Reaction Score
Guards win games at this level. That's the bottom like - that's for the Calhoun years + Jay Wright at Villanova. That Oregon team has oodles of athletics mid sized. But over time, a solid group of 4 guards took over.

Then ... shooting. The only kid I expect a good jump on percentage into low 40s is Vital. He has the right stroke and takes shots when he should; Polley, over time, should rise in %.

Reaction Score
Always loved the kid's heart and his genuine Husky spirit, but, after watching Carlton effortlessly catch a right shoulder pass, spin left around a defender, and lay in a soft bank, I was happy that we were in the post-Brimah years.

Why I emphasized "Amida's defense."

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Interior defense is still a large concern.

I'm not going to lie: I miss Amida's defense.
Defensive rebounding is part of "defense."

Amida seems like a great guy, and he'll always have his "and-1!" place in Husky lore. But I'll take Carlton over him 10 times out of 10.

(that said I do miss Amida's lob-dunks)

Reaction Score
1. This team can't shoot consistently. They need to either start making open outside shots or stop taking them (either will solve this) and applies to everyone not named Larrier.
2. Oregon can't defend, at all. Maybe this is the best dribble penetration team of all time but I doubt it.
3. We are beginning to see the positionless team that Ollie wants. The last run with 4 guards and Larrier in the middle worked better than I thought.
4. Our bigs contribute a lot without the ball and can score inside when called on. Want to see them stay on the floor.
5. The older guys are the ones to go to in crunch time. I have more confidence in Anderson to handle the ball and make his FT's at the end of games than anyone else.

Overall, I was not impressed by Oregon and thought this was a 15+ point win based on performance. That said, it was a HUGE step forward from the cupcake games and the exhibition vs PC. This team is already better and has more options than last year's squad. I noticed a few selfish possession, hopefully that doesn't become a regular thing. If they play together, they can be good.
All true but last year we lose this game by 10.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Defensive rebounding is part of "defense."

Amida seems like a great guy, and he'll always have his "and-1!" place in Husky lore. But I'll take Carlton over him 10 times out of 10.

(that said I do miss Amida's lob-dunks)

Yet the pick and roll is looking smoother than last years group. Something to be said for setting consistent screens. Amida seemed to think the entire point was to peel off and move to the hoop, rather than create the mismatch or free the ball handler.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
All true but last year we lose this game by 10.

Can’t compare. We did lose to the, by ten last year, but they had a much better team then, and our was worse. I simply think we had the better team even though neither team played well. The refs made it a very ugly game for both teams.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
These guys are still new to each other so the
Assists will get better with time. I do think that if Cobb played we would've won comfortably. Yesterday was a drastic improvement across the board, on all levels, against better competition so imagine the improvement a month from now. It's a beautiful work in progress.

Reaction Score
Yet the pick and roll is looking smoother than last years group. Something to be said for setting consistent screens. Amida seemed to think the entire point was to peel off and move to the hoop, rather than create the mismatch or free the ball handler.

Pick and roll is smoother, but I still shake my head at the amount of times one of our guards takes the ball opposite of the side where the screen is being set - makes no sense. Sometimes it ended up working out, but it basically defeats the whole purpose.

Reaction Score
Pick and roll is smoother, but I still shake my head at the amount of times one of our guards takes the ball opposite of the side where the screen is being set - makes no sense. Sometimes it ended up working out, but it basically defeats the whole purpose.

It works for Jalen. Because usually when a big sees the screen developing, a player will come up to double, and then a lot of times he'll hedge and move back into the lane. Jalen will follow him as he's moving back to his guy almost like someone getting behind an ambulance. The defender clears a way to the hoop.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Guards win games at this level. That's the bottom like - that's for the Calhoun years + Jay Wright at Villanova. That Oregon team has oodles of athletics mid sized. But over time, a solid group of 4 guards took over.

Then ... shooting. The only kid I expect a good jump on percentage into low 40s is Vital. He has the right stroke and takes shots when he should; Polley, over time, should rise in %.

Most fans saw how good Vital was at getting rebounds in a three guard set last season. Adams too. Big difference is this year they can rebound AND pass it forward to another guard who can push the ball to the rim.

I fully expect this team to finish plenty of games with the four guards and Larrier. If size is needed put in Carlton; his FT % is another bonus with him. I also like Polley a bunch and would like to get him some end of game reps. I have a feeling Polley's ability to grow in to a key rotation player towards the end of the game will be huge by season's end.

Reaction Score
Adams didn't play hero ball, that to me was telling. His basketball maturity is growing with every game. Last night he was basically un-guardable and was his own enemy. But in the end with 4 guards they all handled the rock.

I'm excited because his big games are going to come and opponents will be helpless. He's that good!

If he could consistently hit a three, he would be a Top 20 pick.

C

Chief00

Chief is in a game in front of us mode by now - and hopefully the team is too!
Tom Izzo is one of my all time favorite MBB coaches. We are very fortunate to have won the last three - but that means nothing tonight.
Go Huskies!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom