The real savior of UConn | The Boneyard

The real savior of UConn

Reaction Score
I can post this in the basketball forum as well but most of my thoughts are about football. Is Randy Edsall the real savior of not just UConn Football but also UConn Athletics? If football is the true money maker of college sports, then we have to wait Football to get good again. I know all the basketball guys want us to drop football and go back to the big east, but I dont think thats smart. We jumped in the lake in terms of trying to get into a P5 football conference. Maybe David Benedict is the savior as well? Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I can post this in the basketball forum as well but most of my thoughts are about football. Is Randy Edsall the real savior of not just UConn Football but also UConn Athletics? If football is the true money maker of college sports, then we have to wait Football to get good again. I know all the basketball guys want us to drop football and go back to the big east, but I dont think thats smart. We jumped in the lake in terms of trying to get into a P5 football conference. Maybe David Benedict is the savior as well? Thoughts?
Let's hope a lot of recruits and their parents buy into Randy's vision as well. So far, I think he's doing a good job of selling UConn. The football program is not a major worry anymore for Benedict, but the men's basketball program is a can of worms for him, considering how far it's fallen. He may already have Hurley in the fold, no one can be sure until there is some kind of announcement.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We are still clinging to a life preserver, in deep, choppy water, and the sharks are circling. I don't think we've been saved yet. It is going to require a joint task force.

Reaction Score
This time RE2.0 does not have the Big East membership to help him. The jury is out. 50-50 whether he can pull it off. Four more seasons.

Reaction Score
This time RE2.0 does not have the Big East membership to help him. The jury is out. 50-50 whether he can pull it off. Four more seasons.
So far in his openness with the press recently he has seemed very confident that he is getting the types of players he needs to put together a very competitive football team. He also in an interview just two weeks ago was praising several players on their development going forward. He gave high praise to Tyler Coyle as a team leader and playmaker, and expects big things from Tyler this season, also gave high marks to Keyion Dixon for his improvement during the off season.

Reaction Score
So far in his openness with the press recently he has seemed very confident that he is getting the types of players he needs to put together a very competitive football team. He also in an interview just two weeks ago was praising several players on their development going forward. He gave high praise to Tyler Coyle as a team leader and playmaker, and expects big things from Tyler this season, also gave high marks to Keyion Dixon for his improvement during the off season.
Agreed, but let's revisit this topic in December.

Reaction Score
Im primarily a hoops fan but I love football too much to have UConn drop it. Id be lost who to root for because im not going to watch fcs football all year. Yeah they stink but hey being bad is better than being nothing.

Reaction Score
AD Dave will assist RE any possible way to make UConn football successful. I think we will be back on the map in 2-3 years. These things take time, we have time.

Reaction Score
AD Dave will assist RE any possible way to make UConn football successful. I think we will be back on the map in 2-3 years. These things take time, we have time.

True, these things take time and we have to be patient. However, we ONLY have 2-3 years max to be good in time for any future realignment discussing driven by new P5 TV contract negotiations.

Reaction Score
True, these things take time and we have to be patient. However, we ONLY have 2-3 years max to be good in time for any future realignment discussing driven by new P5 TV contract negotiations.

I have no idea when the next realignment will be... are there any hints as to when it might be?

I think ND moving to ACC in fb is our only chance unless UFC, Memphis or Cinci get a package deal with us somewhere

Reaction Score
Consensus is around 2022-2023 when the next round of TV contracts will be negotiated and some GORs are up.

Reaction Score
We have to ween out our Junior and Senior classes then we'll be able to field the team Edsall envisions. Need at least 2 more recruiting cycles.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd nominate Peter Werth. Maybe Burton too as I think Burton was key in getting Hathaway removed.

Reaction Score
I think that the chances of Hurley saving BB are higher than RE2.0 saving FB. MUCH bigger tradition and list of accomplishments on the BB side. And the women's program is right there to reinforce that. An Irish heritage coach so much like Calhoon it is scary. Gotta like their chances. That said, I will get to as many FB games as possible and shouting myself horse as I always do. This season promises to be a third 3-9 season in a row. But I will still support them. And who knows? We could get pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to the spring game.

Reaction Score
I think that the chances of Hurley saving BB are higher than RE2.0 saving FB. MUCH bigger tradition and list of accomplishments on the BB side. And the women's program is right there to reinforce that. An Irish heritage coach so much like Calhoon it is scary. Gotta like their chances. That said, I will get to as many FB games as possible and shouting myself horse as I always do. This season promises to be a third 3-9 season in a row. But I will still support them. And who knows? We could get pleasantly surprised. Looking forward to the spring game.
Yes UConn does have a great tradition in Basketball, it's the only major school I can think of where the men's basketball coach and the women's basketball coach make 3 or 4 times more than the division one football coach. For Randy to be doing what he is doing I think is just great for the school and the state.

Reaction Score

"Is" he? No. Nothing has been saved. Our athletic department is an absolute disaster and the future looks bleak. It will take him becoming that savior to pull us out of this, though.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
"Is" he? No. Nothing has been saved. Our athletic department is an absolute disaster and the future looks bleak. It will take him becoming that savior to pull us out of this, though.

idts

Reaction Score
URFOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom