The Rankings: I Give Up | The Boneyard

The Rankings: I Give Up

Reaction Score
The simple fact is that there are a few dozen teams that are virtually interchangeable in WCBB. Over the past two weeks, only 7 teams ranked in the Coaches Poll Top 25 escaped losing, 8 in the AP Poll. Even at the top, there have been "upsets." So it really matters little who is ranked where.

Further, it won't matter all that much what the seedings are, because "upsets" are going to abound this year. Even UConn has displayed its vulnerability, barely escaping Tulane. This is not the last four years of Breanna, or the Griner Era, or even the Breanna-plus-Undefeated Notre Dame year.

So I give up. The simple fact is that there is the most parity there's been in years in WCBB

Reaction Score
Welcome to the reality for WCBB (outside of UCONN) where upsets are normal.

This year is different. There are no virtually unbeatable top teams; there are no really strong mid-majors; and there is little separation between the Top 25 and the next 10 and the next 10. Indeed, the fact that Drake would be ranked shows how weak the major conferences are today.

I haven't seen such dog-eat-dog in years.

Reaction Score
You might be on to something here. UConn is certainly vulnerable for various reasons. Watched the ND-Syracuse game, ND won but Syracuse was within a basket in the last minute to tie or win the game. Of course SC also lost. It's going to be a wide open tourney this year. Just hope we will be healthy and ready when the time comes!!!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Voters have So Carolina Ranked from 5th to 13th.

If they don't lose another game and win the SEC Tournament, they'll probably be a #1 seed. Should they be?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This year is different. There are no virtually unbeatable top teams; there are no really strong mid-majors; and there is little separation between the Top 25 and the next 10 and the next 10. Indeed, the fact that Drake would be ranked shows how weak the major conferences are today.
I haven't seen such dog-eat-dog in years.
I'm not sure last year was any different. Once again you have to take UCONN out of the mix , the other 3 FF teams (Syracuse 3, Oregon State 2 & Washington 7) combined to lose 12 Conference games & 24 games overall last year (Syracuse 8, Oregon State 5 & Washington 11). Going into the NCAA tournament the other top seeds (Baylor, ND, SC) each had one loss. Once again if you take UCONN out of the mix because UCONN delivered the SC and ND loses, the Baylor loss was to an unranked Oklahoma State team.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

After FSU lost to one lower-ranked team and another unranked team, I'm a little surprised they stayed as high as #8. I'm not saying that's wrong, just that usually the voters are more punitive when it comes to multiple "bad" losses.

Good to see Temple in the top 25 (shout-out to Triad :p ).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell impact. She's automatic All American and not sure if any of the Duke Players are considered sure fire automatic All Americans. I would have Duke rated above OSU as Duke plays better defense. Duke has been under the radar all season even though they beat South Carolina.

Ohio State still ranked ahead of Duke? :rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Duke went on the road and easily dispatched wake forest :mad:

That's not gonna get it done. :rolleyes:

When Ohio State loses tonight — and I don't think it will be close, without Mavunga — you'll get your wish.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State; I've seen them 3x this year and they just don't look like a #3 overall team, or a #1 tournament seeding.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State; I've seen them 3x this year and they just don't look like a #3 overall team, or a #1 tournament seeding.

Reaction Score
I disagree as i have seen them play a few times and they play tough defense and run the floor the whole 40mins. IMO they should be undefeated as they out played SC and if the refs were any good they win that game. They should be ranked #2 and Maryland shouldn't even be in the top 5 IMO.

Reaction Score
Duke went on the road and easily dispatched wake forest :mad:
Btw, that would be the Wake Forest team that easily dispatched #15 NC State on the road in the next game. This is not totally tongue-in-cheek.

Reaction Score
Just wait until after tonight's games: MD at OSU and Baylor at Texas. I can see both of those upsets occurring.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
South Florida out, and Temple in. South Carolina fell from 5 to 7. Notre Dame moved up, and they received a number #1 seed from Charlie Creme in the bracket, after South Carolina's loss to Missouri.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

After FSU lost to one lower-ranked team and another unranked team, I'm a little surprised they stayed as high as #8. I'm not saying that's wrong, just that usually the voters are more punitive when it comes to multiple "bad" losses.

Good to see Temple in the top 25 (shout-out to Triad :p ).

I dont mind Temple as much. They did beat Depaul.... but on the other hand they did lose to Hampton.

Hey you finally got South Florida out of the top 25 this week. Baby steps....

:p Imma quit hounding the Bulls......... if i keep messing with them.... those bulls might bring their horns to Durham in march and :oops:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Voters have So Carolina Ranked from 5th to 13th.

If they don't lose another game and win the SEC Tournament, they'll probably be a #1 seed. Should they be?

Yes, because there would likely be a win over MSU in the SECT.

Reaction Score
Ohio State just proved my point by beating Maryland. No team, except so far Connecticut, is invulnerable. All of the top teams have been defeated late in the season, often more than once. So the rankings- and the seedings- really mean nothing. All a squishy middle. No great teams this year- except, so far, Connecticut.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Maryland loss to Ohio State, so do Maryland drop in the rankings? Do Ohio State move up? If so, how many spots?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Maryland loss to Ohio State, so do Maryland drop in the rankings? Do Ohio State move up? If so, how many spots?

Yes and yes. Do you mean in the AP rankings or the committee rankings?

In the AP Maryland will fall to at least #4, maybe #5. But that could be affected by the Baylor-TX outcome.

Ohio State will rise from #12 to at least #10, likely higher. But all those teams will be playing two games this week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom