The quiet emergence of NC State | The Boneyard

The quiet emergence of NC State

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
NC State has quietly established itself as the best WBB program in the Triangle region. Which is saying something, alongside the storied histories of both Duke and UNC. (Amazing what good coaching will do, right?)

I really learned a lot from ESPN's feature article on the team:
Unbeaten NC State emerging as one of nation's top teams

It was pointed out on another thread that NC State could well go undefeated until February, as their ACC schedule is heavily backloaded.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Someone suggested recently that Oregon looked like a FF team. Then they promptly lost to MI St and struggled with SD State. So many of the perennial top 25 teams have fallen back (tOSU, OK, UCLA, SC, FSU, Duke, etc.) that it’s difficult to gauge just how good teams like NC St, KY, MN, MI St really are. After the top 5-6 teams in the nation, I really don’t know how good anyone else is. IMO, 4 of 5 P5 conferences are weaker overall than last year (SEC, ACC, BIG & Big 12).

NC State is having a nice season with a good win at home by 4 over MI St. But I certainly want to see how they do against Louisville & ND before I consider them greatly improved.

Reaction Score
NC State has quietly established itself as the best WBB program in the Triangle region. Which is saying something, alongside the storied histories of both Duke and UNC. (Amazing what good coaching will do, right?)

It was pointed out on another thread that NC State could well go undefeated until February, as their ACC schedule is heavily backloaded.

Koenig is the highest ranked player I see at #38 for NC State, Leslie was #55............so I guess you can be successful without big stars if you get the proper coaching and the chemistry is good.........BTW their 2020 recruit Elle Sutphin looks to be a really nice player

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
NC State is a definite top 4 ACC team and is well coached by Wes. I slightly disagree with @oldude in that yes, the SEC is way down, the Big12 is down and the top Big 10 teams are well behind the other P5 top schools. I would say there are more solid Big10 teams this year than last year.

I see the ACC as better than last year. ND, Louisville, NC State, SYracuse, Miami, Florida State are very good, NC (gawd it pains me to type this), Pitt, Clemson, BC, Georgia Tech are all looking ok to me. VPI and Duke are a bit unknown, and I suspect VPI is pretty good, Duke is down but not terrible.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can't believe Mechelle failed to mention arguably the biggest victory by NC state as part of this ascension when NC State beat ND during the 2016-17 regular season.

Reaction Score
Koenig is the highest ranked player I see at #38 for NC State, Leslie was #55..so I guess you can be successful without big stars if you get the proper coaching and the chemistry is good....BTW their 2020 recruit Elle Sutphin looks to be a really nice player

They will have a squad that should challenge for the ACC title once Jakia Brown-Turner, Jayda Boyd, Kendal Moore and Elle Sutphin gets on campus.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Great for State.... ..Ive rooted for them for many many years... I really like their coach... and am glad to see them get some recognization and some respect in the rankings.

That being said..... I think they go down to defeat on Jan 3rd.... not gonna say it will be an arse whipping...... but I strongly feel they will suffer loss #1.

Reaction Score
I have been impressed with the play of 6-5 frosh Elissa Cunane. Was #55 HG but #21
PN. She and Boyd will make a formidable duo.

Reaction Score
The only mentionable win is over Mich. St. early in the season. Hardly one can call that an emerging.

Reaction Score

Good to see the mention of NC State on the board. No surpise here - Wes Moore is who we thought he'd be, the first coach in history to advance three different teams to the NCAA Tournament at the Division I, II, and III levels.
NC State got what they bargained for. Its not diificult to find these winners, unfortunately, many never get the chance Wes has. But, its hard to ignore coaching success. And, remember, it doesn't take long for the pedigree to show in turning around a team. The more exposure these proven winners get, instead of the bigger names who've done less with more talent. the better the WCBB game will become.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
They did beat Michigan State... whose probably extremely underrated by the media.... given that they threw the blade down on Oregon after all that hype surrounding that team being some juggernaut.

They played us well last year in the Sweet 16. Wasn't a very good Mississippi State win at all. I think it was mostly that we just didn't play very well regardless of opponent, and it wasn't one of our better games, and we looked a bit uninspired and fairly average offensively. I'd be worried about them if we played them this year. We've gotten more physical and athletic, but they've gotten more offensively dangerous with more scoring threats............ by the looks of things.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Great for State.... ..Ive rooted for them for many many years... I really like their coach... and am glad to see them get some recognization and some respect in the rankings.

That being said..... I think they go down to defeat on Jan 3rd.... not gonna say it will be an arse whipping. but I strongly feel they will suffer loss #1.
Your choice of font size suggests to me that your prediction is not a confident one :)

Plebe

Reaction Score
The only mentionable win is over Mich. St. early in the season. Hardly one can call that an emerging.
I'm not referring to this season alone. Last year was supposed to be a down year for them after graduating so many starters from the previous year. They were picked to finish 10th in the ACC. Instead, they earned a #4 seed and hosting spot in the NCAA tourney and made the Sweet 16 for the first time in over 10 years.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I have been impressed with the play of 6-5 frosh Elissa Cunane. Was #55 HG but #21
PN. She and Boyd will make a formidable duo.

Cunane has been everything she was advertised to be...and then some. She could emerge as one of the greatest bigs to play at NC State in the history of that storied program by the time she graduates.

Regarding the current status of the program...I often sit back and wonder where we might be today if Wes Moore had been hired to succeed Kay Yow in 2009, instead of floundering in mediocrity during the Kellie Harper years. What cannot be denied is that the program is in its best shape in nearly 20 years, restoring luster to one of the first powers in the modern era of WCBB.

Coach Yow would be proud and approve of what is taking place in Raleigh.

Reaction Score
I'm not referring to this season alone. Last year was supposed to be a down year for them after graduating so many starters from the previous year. They were picked to finish 10th in the ACC. Instead, they earned a #4 seed and hosting spot in the NCAA tourney and made the Sweet 16 for the first time in over 10 years.
last year was definitely a great riding year for them. Plebe, did you write that article on espn? I was only referring to that article on espn, did not mean to put their last year’s record down, only stated this year’s record has not proved much in comparison to their last year’s. Hence I would not put the word ‘emerging’ down quite yet for them .

Reaction Score

And the loud descent of Oregon and Oregon State?

Reaction Score
NC State is a definite top 4 ACC team and is well coached by Wes. I slightly disagree with @oldude in that yes, the SEC is way down, the Big12 is down and the top Big 10 teams are well behind the other P5 top schools. I would say there are more solid Big10 teams this year than last year.

I see the ACC as better than last year. ND, Louisville, NC State, SYracuse, Miami, Florida State are very good, NC (gawd it pains me to type this), Pitt, Clemson, BC, Georgia Tech are all looking ok to me. VPI and Duke are a bit unknown, and I suspect VPI is pretty good, Duke is down but not terrible.

FSU is not very good this season. They only have one loss but it was to LSU, who is not very good, and they were held scoreless for an entire quarter :eek:. The schedule has been very weak, smart by Sue knowing the team would be young and lack depth. Until FSU can land an elite inside player I think they will always be average to good, but never great.

Reaction Score
FSU is not very good this season. They only have one loss but it was to LSU, who is not very good, and they were held scoreless for an entire quarter :eek:. The schedule has been very weak, smart by Sue knowing the team would be young and lack depth. Until FSU can land an elite inside player I think they will always be average to good, but never great.

they have River Baldwin coming in next year..............curious to see how she fares....................UConn looked at her but as far as I know didn't offer........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With other top teams losing or playing poorly, how far can N.C. State ascend? I could see top 5-6.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom