The problem with starting Whitmer | The Boneyard

The problem with starting Whitmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He NEVER wins. So far in 2014, the only win we have with him starting is the Stoney Brook game which was won by a Foxx's punt return.

Without Foxx's return UConn hasn't won a game CW has started since 2012.

But just keep telling yourself that Boyle isn't ready.

Reaction Score
I can't stomach much more of Whitmer. He's hit his ceiling a long time ago, and it's been beyond time to move on. If Diaco names him the starter this week, it just proves this coaching staff has learned nothing from their utter lack of functional or competent offense through this past bye week, and they're content with sticking with Whitmer even though the wheels have already fallen off.

Reaction Score
Do you even know if Boyle is physically able to play? If he is, I would play him just to change the feel if for no other reason. If not, he won't play.

Reaction Score
And for the love of God, stop it with the strawmen.

I think at this point everyone is hoping that Boyle starts from here on out. You might be the only one expecting miracles though.
I believe your understanding of a straw man argument is faulty.

It is a logical argument. Many on this site argue that Boyle isn't ready. However, if the current QB is incapable of winning, then Boyle can do no worse.

I would also refer you to this site http://www.fallacyfiles.org/strawman.html which explains a straw man argument in detail. BTW, it's two words, "straw man."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And for the love of God, stop it with the strawmen.

I think at this point everyone is hoping that Boyle starts from here on out. You might be the only one expecting miracles though.

I think that's pretty much it. With Boyle there is at least a glimmer of hope.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Can Boyle get better with the current state of our O-Line?

Reaction Score
I believe your understanding of a straw man argument is faulty.

It is a logical argument. Many on this site argue that Boyle isn't ready. However, if the current QB is incapable of winning, then Boyle can do no worse.

I would also refer you to this site http://www.fallacyfiles.org/strawman.html which explains a straw man argument in detail. BTW, it's two words, "straw man."

We'll see how many people "like" your posts as opposed to mine in this thread. You are getting as bad as Muntz with the strawman. Yes, strawman, as in one word. Know why? Cause I don't give a fugg.

Reaction Score
Boyle simply gives a new hope, the reaction of the fans when he enters a game is enough to play him more. There is a buzz in the air when he steps on the field regardless of his success. Give the people what they want, for all we know 1 touchdown out of Boyle could bring the confidence we need him to have, it gets the monkey off his back and lets the kid play the game. He should be able to go out and play without having to worry about Chandler coming back in after he throws one incomplete pass.

"Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong."

Give the kid a shot

Reaction Score
Boyle being ready to play has nothing to do with performance of the guy above him on the depth chart.

You're right of course, but you're wasting your breath.

He is solid in his position.

Reaction Score
So what are we expecting this week? Change at starter? 1 QB? 2 or 3 on a merry-go-round? All wildcat? I just hope the blocking schemes are simple enough that they can hit the sleds and not worry who's taking snaps. Put me on record for Boyle and a sprinkle of Foxx.

Reaction Score
So what are we expecting this week? Change at starter? 1 QB? 2 or 3 on a merry-go-round? All wildcat? I just hope the blocking schemes are simple enough that they can hit the sleds and not worry who's taking snaps. Put me on record for Boyle and a sprinkle of Foxx.

I like this but prefer Foxx with a sprinkle of Boyle.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Boyle being ready to play has nothing to do with performance of the guy above him on the depth chart.

Define "ready". He has taken snaps in games...therefore he is ready to play. Aside from a physical injury, there is no excuse not to play him more, since the guy above him has proven incapable despite playing through parts of three seasons.

I don't agree with Palatine on Diaco, but I do on this.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have a question for you Pal: Who exactly is it that you are attempting to debate on this?

I don't believe that there is a poster on this board who wouldn't prefer seeing Boyle take over as QB. Yes it is frustrating not knowing what the reasoning was for his very limited playing time against Temple but I'm very confident that there was a reason beyond Diaco trying to see how irritated you would with Boyle's lack of playing time.

Reaction Score

But it does have a lot to do with the definition of when "being ready" comes into play is good enough to get you in the game. Boyle not available, CW gets hurt; then Foxx is "ready" to play (and this is a senior wide with 3 weeks of 1A QB practice.) You telling me that Johnny Mac. was more ready to start and play against Vandy than Boyle is to start against Tulane (lower leg pain aside, whatever that is), or that Nebrich would have been (I think he was but that is not the argument, the argument is a lot does depend on the performance of the guy above).

Reaction Score
I have a question for you Pal: Who exactly is it that you are attempting to debate on this?

I don't believe that there is a poster on this board who wouldn't prefer seeing Boyle take over as QB. Yes it is frustrating not knowing what the reasoning was for his very limited playing time against Temple but I'm very confident that there was a reason beyond Diaco trying to see how irritated you would with Boyle's lack of playing time.
No, I think that was the reason he didn't play Boyle...didn't he say exactly that in the post game?

Reaction Score

There are plenty who believe Boyle should sit or try for a redshirt. There is also the Boyle isn't ready argument we have seen on this thread. Others still back Whitmer or trust what Diaco believes he is seeing in practice from Whitmer. That seems to be the position you are advocating. The idea that Whitmer will improve in games after observing he hasn't improved for three years runs counter to reality. We know CW is awesome in a red jersey. He must be burning up practice.

Frustrated does not begin to describe how I feel when watching CW trot out game after game. How can the coach thinks there will be a different result? BTW, I appreciate every player who ever said "yes" to a UConn scholarship offer. This is completely about CW performance on the field.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd just really like some clarity but of course we won't get it.

I personally don't believe Boyle isn't healthy enough to play... since he played.

If Diaco doesn't want to get him hurt behind this line that is fine - but then don't use him at all and why did you burn his redshirt?

Reaction Score
Without looking, isn't Boyle 0-4 as a starter while Whitmer is 6-15?

Whitmer is who he is. I don't expect him to change. I wouldn't mind seeing what Boyle can do, and if he's healthy I'd be surprised to not see much more of him against Tulane. But Boyle did enough bad things last year that if the coaches tell me he doesn't give us as good a chance to win as Chandler, I believe them.

Reaction Score
Whitmer, the back breaking turnover can happen opening drive see Temple, the 4th quarter see Boise, or anywhere in between.

He is a turnover machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul