The Pressure Builds for Next Year's UConn Team | The Boneyard

The Pressure Builds for Next Year's UConn Team

Reaction Score
Am I correct in assuming that next year's team will be heavy favorites to win another championship? After all, the weaknesses that Geno & Co. hid so well throughout the season will be addressed with a major talent up grade. I would think that after being spoiled by this year's group of overachievers, any losses next season will be a shock to the system...........Will this painful loss only add to the pressure for next year's team to win it all or be judged as a bunch of underachievers?

Reaction Score
I think they will be heavy favorites next year. They lose only one senior, they're getting some amazing new talent, and the existing core four will we a year older and better. But it's also because I think they will be hungry, much in the same way that MSU was hungry after what the Huskies did to them last year. While I think Geno and his team enjoyed this year a lot, and were amazed at how they overachieved, they never seemed all that hungry to me. Last night in particular, Geno did not come across to me as coach who was particularly hungry to win that game.

But in terms of pressure, I think it's the complete opposite. This loss and the end of the streak should eliminate any pressure for next year. And what a great thing that is, to get this monkey off their back, to be able to just go out and play basketball again. I don't think Geno was looking forward to another year of having to justify why they never lose, and whether that's good for the game, etc. And I think the players will be much more loose without the pressure of the game streak, or trying to defend all those consecutive national championships, or an HBO crew following them around, etc. No, this in my opinion clears the deck and puts all the conditions in place for what I expect will be a very, and I mean VERY successful next couple of years. :cool:

Reaction Score
Hoping the kids can find time to be kids before worrying about the grind and expectations....

635984958227642922-1597550936_SummerVacation.jpeg

Reaction Score
They need to get away for awhile and do what they love to do. They'll come back next year having learned an important lesson. Nothing's guaranteed. Thank you for an amazing season UConn Huskies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think they will be heavy favorites next year. They lose only one senior, they're getting some amazing new talent, and the existing core four will we a year older and better. But it's also because I think they will be hungry, much in the same way that MSU was hungry after what the Huskies did to them last year. While I think Geno and his team enjoyed this year a lot, and were amazed at how they overachieved, they never seemed all that hungry to me. Last night in particular, Geno did not come across to me as coach who was particularly hungry to win that game.

But in terms of pressure, I think it's the complete opposite. This loss and the end of the streak should eliminate any pressure for next year. And what a great thing that is, to get this monkey off their back, to be able to just go out and play basketball again. I don't think Geno was looking forward to another year of having to justify why they never lose, and whether that's good for the game, etc. And I think the players will be much more loose without the pressure of the game streak, or trying to defend all those consecutive national championships, or an HBO crew following them around, etc. No, this in my opinion clears the deck and puts all the conditions in place for what I expect will be a very, and I mean VERY successful next couple of years. :cool:

+ 1000000

Reaction Score
this seems to sum up the attitude of non UConn WBB fans.........we can only hope that this was just a small bump in the road for the UConn program and that the haters will be angrier then ever in the years to come................

Raoul‏ @Raoul_000 9h9 hours ago
Finally.

0 replies1 retweet33 likes

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
this seems to sum up the attitude of non UConn WBB fans....we can only hope that this was just a small bump in the road for the UConn program and that the haters will be angrier then ever in the years to come......

Raoul‏ @Raoul_000 9h9 hours ago
Finally.

0 replies1 retweet33 likes

Hate and embarrassment are good emotions for other teams and fan bases to feel. It pushes them to get better. It could not be any clearer that our 98-38 destruction of MSU fueled their entire year to get better. I am sure Oregon and UCLA and Syracuse should come back stronger. Oh but by the way, we will too and redefine what is possible

Finally, if we had won the game last night, ESPN would have given the combined women's semifinal games 30 seconds at the 45 minute of the hour. The creation of dynasties, the hating of dynasties and the possible loss of a dynasty is crucial for the game.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Well said. I thought Geno A's post-game comments were gracious and exceedingly truthful. I was very impressed with his insights, particularly given the circumstances.

As a WCBB diehard, ND supporter and alum and UConn admirer, I'm well aware of what Geno, his staff and the players bring to the table. Very well done.

Fortunately (or not), I'm also well aware of what you're bringing back, the great wave of frosh and the two transfers who can jump into the fray. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Good points. I think it is always Geno's goal to win the national championship. And that won't change. But the team won't have to see some idiot holding some number ( e.g. 112 ) in the stands at every game, and have every interview begin with a recant of the winning streak ( thee announcers probably still will do this, because they aren't very inventive as a rule ). But it will give the team " air to breathe." They can lose an early game, for example, to Notre Dame or Maryland, without feeling that the weight of the world will crush them. They can try things and learn, without " walking on eggs, " all the time. It will be a relief to play without that pressure. They will still have pressure ( from coach ) , but it will be a positive, learning pressure, rather than the " fear of failure."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom