The Positives and the Negatives | The Boneyard

The Positives and the Negatives

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Positives...First, and most obvious, we have a functional offense. Sure, BS threw a dumb pick and can't hit anyone on a fly pattern, but we scored a ton of points and moved the ball with ease. We seemed comfortable moving at a fast pace. We had a couple of key injuries on the O (Hergy and Crozier) and we didn't let it stop us. Mason Donaldson did an amazing job. Kevin Mensah ran great--congrats to him on going over 100 yds. For those keeping track, we've had a player rush for over 100 yards in two of our first three games. Last season, we only had a player reach that total in three of twelve games. The O line helped him to get there. They look much improved--not perfect, but improved. Peart does a good job and RVD impressed at RT. We seem to have finally found a way to maximize Newsome's skillset. Huge day for him. On D, not much to hang our hats on, but we did step up when we most needed it. Couple of good stops late. Junior Joseph played a heck of a game. Showed a ton of heart. Britton made a couple of good tackles. Aside from that, really nothing good happened as far as I could see.

Negatives...We've continued our trend of being a dreadful first half team. This seems to have plagued us for at least the past four years now. It's impossible to dig ourselves out of the holes we create early on. Moreover, we had another bad turnover that turned into points for the opposing team. We ran Arkeel Newsome up the middle on a 3rd and 3, and I wonder when we'll finally come to the conclusion that we aren't going to be successful with that. Had a broken play at a crucial point in the game--no idea what happened there. Also had a bad holding call on a huge 3rd down on our last drive. The decision to take three points when we were inside the 5 was tough to swallow. Had the Rent booing, and I'm still not sure it was a good choice. Weird how Randy basically refused to kick field goals or extra points last week, and then plays it conservative this week. Our offense did seem a bit confused at points on our last drive, and this resulted in a slowed pace...saw this especially in the first set of downs and it wasted a good deal of clock time. Need to clean that up. Feel bad for Tarbutt. Really hard to have your first real CFB kick be such a high stakes attempt. I know he had one try earlier in the game, but that was basically a PAT. Wish he'd gotten a couple shots against UVA to work out the jitters. On D, pretty much everything was bad. Tre Bell really can't seem to help himself. He's so slow that wide receivers get three steps on him on fly patterns and then just burn us deep. They clearly targeted him, as did UVA, and I wonder how much longer we can afford to start him. We did a terrible job tackling and shedding blocks on the screen. They got us on this all day. We didn't seem capable of wrapping anyone up along the sidelines, and we whiffed on tackles where guys hadn't even juked us at all. Little to no pass rush again, which seems to make Crocker's D next to impossible to execute. No havoc to speak of, besides havoc for our own players. No turnovers on D--this scheme is supposed to create a lot of TOs, but this obviously hasn't happened yet.

All in all, I'm proud of our team. We easily could have packed it in but we fought back and came so close. We truly stink this year, but I see some glimmers of hope. Was nice to see some points on the board, and once we get some more speed on D hopefully they become serviceable. At this point, I'm sort of just praying for three wins. Hopefully future years look more promising.

Reaction Score
Before today's game, ECU was winless and the worse team in the conference. They even got blown out by James Madison (whoever they are) at home. In fact, they got blown out by every team they played.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Before today's game, ECU was winless and the worse team in the conference. They even got blown out by James Madison (whoever they are) at home. In fact, they got blown out by every team they played.

I know no one wants to hear this, but James Madison is the #1 FCS team in the nation. And VT and WVU are both nasty. Granted, I'm not saying ECU is a good team, but they haven't had easy match ups thus far

Reaction Score
Same number and similar running style. Mensah runs a lot like Donald Brown. I like what I see from the young guy. Diamond in the rough.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll say this as positives.

#82 who are you? Even UConn's website lists nothing for Donaldson including HS information. Just says RS freshman from the Allentown, PA area.

I'm bullish on the OLine going forward and OLine coaching.

The line is far from perfect and it's obvious us fans are done seeing 320lbs+ lineman as long as this staff is here. This means roadgrading, bludgeoning helmet on helmet isn't going to be its calling card.

However..............................

On Newsome's TD screen pass, Van Denmark was 15 yards downfield making the key block to spring Newsome through goo of defenders. Compare that to the second game when Hopkins completely wiffed on a similar play. I won't trash Hopkins. I put him the Jimmy Bennett category of a lineman whose skills were never fully developed due to injury.

There were other plays where DeGeorge got downfield too. I believe it was the WR screen TD to Donaldson where the lineman were able to get downfield and make blocks.

Also, I still believe there aren't any false starts from the OLine. They stayed in their stance for two false starts today which gave UConn the opportunity for two free plays vice jumping and making it a dead ball penalty. That UConn didn't convert and doesn't appear to have a free play play ready to go is higher level offense.

I know everyone else can fill in the same negatives I saw.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Same number and similar running style. Mensah runs a lot like Donald Brown. I like what I see from the young guy. Diamond in the rough.

I think he's more like Todman but I like the fact that a true frosh three games in to his career is getting comps to UConn's best RB's.

I like his patience waiting for blocks to set up lanes and then he hits it. Also, he's got that knack for breaking first tackles and always seeming to fall forward for an extra 1-2 yards.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'll say this as positives.

#82 who are you? Even UConn's website lists nothing for Donaldson including HS information. Just says RS freshman from the Allentown, PA area.

I'm bullish on the OLine going forward and OLine coaching.

The line is far from perfect and it's obvious us fans are done seeing 320lbs+ lineman as long as this staff is here. This means roadgrading, bludgeoning helmet on helmet isn't going to be its calling card.

However.....

On Newsome's TD screen pass, Van Denmark was 15 yards downfield making the key block to spring Newsome through goo of defenders. Compare that to the second game when Hopkins completely wiffed on a similar play. I won't trash Hopkins. I put him the Jimmy Bennett category of a lineman whose skills were never fully developed due to injury.

There were other plays where DeGeorge got downfield too. I believe it was the WR screen TD to Donaldson where the lineman were able to get downfield and make blocks.

Also, I still believe there aren't any false starts from the OLine. They stayed in their stance for two false starts today which gave UConn the opportunity for two free plays vice jumping and making it a dead ball penalty. That UConn didn't convert and doesn't appear to have a free play play ready to go is higher level offense.

I know everyone else can fill in the same negatives I saw.

I believe we had one false start today. Was in the second half at some point

Reaction Score
Nice comeback just 1 foot too far to the right. If your the field goal kicker you have to make those. That was really the only mistake in the special teams play that I could see so that aspect of the team has really improved from last year. And Tarbut will make many field goals. The 5 in the 3-3-5 is killing this team.

Reaction Score
Nice comeback just 1 foot too far to the right. If your the field goal kicker you have to make those. That was really the only mistake in the special teams play that I could see so that aspect of the team has really improved from last year. And Tarbut will make many field goals. The 5 in the 3-3-5 is killing this team.
At least they kicked it and didn't try a fake field goal. It's a step in the right direction. After last year, it's not hard to find positives.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

@bymayuc nailed his analysis in that thread.

"He might kick, but this kid looks LEGIT as a WR. GREAT body control and catching technique, long strider, solidly built, good tackling-breaking technique and power.

I can't believe im saying this but kind of reminds of of Geremy Davis' tape.

When looking at this from the perspective of him as a WR recruit it makes much more sense, given we signed Tarbutt last year and already have 2 k on the roster.

Very excited about this kid.

****I may be overdoing it, just pretty excited with this class****"

Reaction Score
I think he's more like Todman but I like the fact that a true frosh three games in to his career is getting comps to UConn's best RB's.

I like his patience waiting for blocks to set up lanes and then he hits it. Also, he's got that knack for breaking first tackles and always seeming to fall forward for an extra 1-2 yards.
I'm sticking with my Donald Brown comp thus far. I can't tell if your first sentence was tongue in cheek regarding comparison to Uconn's best RB's. But I really feel he has a similar style. Catches some passes out of the back field, patient with a great burst through the hole.

C

Chief00

I actually was encouraged by several things I saw on offense:
- The OL keeps improving
- We actually established a running game mentality
- The play calling was very good. Lashlee is a star in my opinion.
- We found the right role for Newsome and he excelled
- Mensch will be a star
- BS has all the wrong natural instincts for a QB - too inclined to run if given the option even if it’s like 3rd and 12. Having said that he did reduce the number of plays in which he beat himself

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm sticking with my Donald Brown comp thus far. I can't tell if your first sentence was tongue in cheek regarding comparison to Uconn's best RB's. But I really feel he has a similar style. Catches some passes out of the back field, patient with a great burst through the hole.

No. You're suggesting Brown and I'm suggesting Todman. I think those are clearly the two best RB's in UConn's FBS history. That you and I can discuss him with those two names is good enough for me. Only other back who comes to those two is Caulley.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Mensah reminds me of a bigger Terry Caulley- tough to bring down, speed to break away. Donald was a high stepper and Jordan glided. The fact that Mensah is a freshman is great news.

Reaction Score
Only 3 tackles for loss. I believe Fatukasi had the only QB sack. That's not going to cut it.

Reaction Score
The positive is the team may show some promise down the line. Some of the unknown players (to me) were a pleasant surprise.

Can't get too excited yet. This was ECU, not Virginia Tech or WVU, or any of the more established and successful AAC teams......yet to come up on the schedule. I know they will score plenty, not sure if UConn will come close to matching the output of those teams or Missouri or BC. The final games may bring a lot of pain to the fans.

Don't blame the new D scheme.......it will take time. Don't blame the coaches .......ECU also torched UConns defensive scheme last year.....Two different styles, two different sets of coaches......UConn can't be the only FBS school perceived to constantly employ bad coaches. Must be something else........perhaps the "T"?

My biggest FEAR for the future is not the performances of the coaches or players. It's the lack of interest of Connecticut citizens in the program. While Jeff Jacobs is not my favorite correspondent by a long shot, he did make a scary premise regarding budgetary attacks concerning UConn, lack of performance by the team for almost seven years, and dwindling fans interest. The BIG question implied in the article, which I'm afraid will be but has not yet asked.........WILL THE PROGRAM CONTINUE TO BE FUNDED?

I think we will need a lot of off the field prayers going forward.........right now, considering Connecticut budgetary challenges which many are postulating will get worse in the future, I'm not feeling to good about a possible answer.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I watched the game last night. Wasn't able to watch it Sunday due to other family commitments.

-sherriffs looking very comfortable in the offense. Lashlee's system really started to take shape in this game.
-with an improving run game, the read option run and read option pass are starting to become truly effective. And Sherriffs is getting better at making decisions.
-Donaldson makes himself a reliable target, meaning when you throw his way sherriffs can have confidence he will make a play on the ball. Also, at 6'2'', he's the bigger target sherriffs needs.
-newsome, Hopkins and mensah were all used to their strengths.
-I didn't notice a drop off with oak at center.
-I liked the effort to get that TD to Myers - too bad it didn't work out. The rashlee offense is rumored to not utilize TEs, but I am hoping that more TE utilization is the next wrinkle in the plan as the offense is furthered rolled out.
-as been noted by others, sherriffs cannot throw the deep ball with accuracy or with any loft to allow the receiver to get under it.
-however has anyone noticed that sherriffs has improve his release on short and medium throws? He got the ball out quicker than in the past it seemed to me with better touch on the screens in particular. He really played some of the screen passes like a pro.
-I thought to decision to go for the first field goal was the right one. I thought kicking the FG to tie was also the right one. Sure, maybe they could have gotten one more play off, but a quick FG at a reasonable distance and head to OT with moment was the safe choice.

-on defense, there is not much good to say.
-the entire secondary is lousy at tackling. It was particularly evidence in first half when Ecu had a 3 and 9, threw the ball 2.5 yards short of the first down and the receiver powered over two husky defenders who were otherwise in great position to stop the play short. That play was immediately followed up by a miss tackle by sterling that led to another big gain. Of course the most egregious miss tackle was the whiff by coyle for that long TD to open the 3qtr.
-I don't know what has happened to summers, that's all I can say. Too muscle bound?
-it's time to herring-Wilson to take tre Bell's place.
-Can we get some players in the secondary that can actually see the all in the air? None of them seem adept at making actual pass defenses. Or in making bone crushing tackles when they are a step late to making a play on the ball. Let's start hitting some people out there with force and stop looking like flag football.
-needless to say, opposing teams have zero fear in throwing at our corners. Zero.
-to help our secondary we need to mix in some press coverage and man to man to see if it helps. The free runs for WRs off the line and soft zones all game long are too easy to game plan around.
-need to find a way to blitz. They tried some this week, but other than a couple times it failed. I think this is coaching. You got to set up blitzing lanes.
-junior joseph had a nice bounce back game. I don't think he was 100% last week against uva.
-chris Britton was inconsistent with some stops and some misses.
-unfortunately, unlike the offense where the freshman are shining, I don't see any of the youth displaying real potential to be + level players even with more reps. Where is the mensah and Donaldson on defense? I thought it was going to be coyle, fortt and Swenson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom