The Positive Assessment of UConn vs Wagner | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Positive Assessment of UConn vs Wagner

Reaction Score
Bob Diaco was terrible but he also went 6-6 and beat undefeated Houston. I’m not sure what that says about the Edsall2.0 years but I’m pretty sure it isn’t good.

Reaction Score
Noticeable energy on the UConn bench throughout the game. Lou Spanos regularly went over to the offense when they came off of the field or sat on the bench—even after turnovers—to fist bump or quickly encourage the players. Great to see...brothers for life.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
A very successful people manager once gave me great advice that I used in management for years: Don't watch the scoreboard, watch the behaviors of your team. If the behaviors are good, the results will follow.

The behaviors last night were much better, regardless of the opponent. It's technique- bad technique can make anyone look bad, good technique gives you a chance. I saw much better technique and we all saw the results of bad technique - even last night. This is why I think this team has a chance to improve as the year goes on.

Reaction Score
Hey, they won. They have a game's worth of film to learn from and a considerable step up in competition to prepare for next week. They'll clean some things up like the dumb penalties(every team creates penalties but you need to eliminate the brain fart ones), some really weak special teams coverage and better timing between passer and receiver. Beaudry missed a couple open receivers that were most likely touchdown passes. That game could have easily been 38-21. And if the defense hadn't lost focus in the second half it could have ended 38-7 with the only Wagner score being on a mistake by the Husky's QB.

Clean it up guys. Put down Illinois. Feel good about yourselves starting out 2-0. Go to Indiana and make a statement.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Bob Diaco was terrible but he also went 6-6 and beat undefeated Houston. I’m not sure what that says about the Edsall2.0 years but I’m pretty sure it isn’t good.
Houstons starting QB sat out most of the game. It was a win though.

Reaction Score
When have you ever been disappointed about a UConn performance?
Ha! I guess it may not seem it, but actually many times, because my expectations were often too high. My expectation Thursday night wasn’t for a blowout. It was for a win. More than anything else, a win for team psyche. Can you imagine that psyche moving forward this season had we lost? More interestingly, had we blown out “an FCS team” might it have given the players a false sense as we prepared for Illinois? The coaches won’t have to deal with any of that flippancy this week. And we don’t have long to wait. We’ll know Saturday if what we all witnessed through different lenses on Thursday was more likely evidence of promise or further proof of concern. I’m expecting the former.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm interested in the perceptions on Beaudry from you and OP. It could be that live, you saw open men downfield and his reads didn't go there.

I’ve rewatched the game on tv. His ball looks better on tv than in person which seems odd to say. There were at least 3 or 4 passing situations where Beaudry missed the open man and instead locked on the primary target. That was easy to see at the stadium on a few downs. I can’t say that was true in every passing down however.

In watching the replay I see now that Harrell missed on a few plays - still think he played as well as anyone has at SS for us in three years. Morgan missed in that late Wagner TD. Overall the D looked really gassed that last series. Suddenly couldn’t get off blocks.

The great mystery of the night is why did we run an O that was dedicated to attacking only the edges of the field. Weird.

For next week the staff has to rotate the D more. We tired against Wags which shouldn’t happen. Morgan, Gilmartin and Travis J need to get off the field for a series in the second 1/2.

On O, as I said before- Mensah shouldn’t carry the ball more than 25 times. Get O’reilly or Black out there. The O needs to find some TE passing plays, some play action and maybe some jet sweeps. Need more misdirection for Illinois. I would love to see us start doing old school dump throws offs to RBs to punish the blitz.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I’ve rewatched the game on tv. His ball looks better on tv than in person which seems odd to say. There were at least 3 or 4 passing situations where Beaudry missed the open man and instead locked on the primary target. That was easy to see at the stadium on a few downs. I can’t say that was true in every passing down however.

In watching the replay I see now that Harrell missed on a few plays - still think he played as well as anyone has at SS for us in three years. Morgan missed in that late Wagner TD. Overall the D looked really gassed that last series. Suddenly could get off blocks.

The great mystery of the night is why did we run an O that was dedicated to attacking only the edges of the field. Weird.

For next week the staff has to rotate the D more. We tired against Wags which shouldn’t happen. Morgan, Gilmartin and Travis J need to get off the field for a series in the second 1/2.

On O, as I said before- Mensah shouldn’t carry the ball more than 25 times. Get O’reilly or Black out there. The O needs to find some TE passing plays, some play action and maybe some jet sweeps. Need more misdirection for Illinois. I would love to see us start doing old school dump throws offs to RBs to punish the blitz.

Getting Caleb Thomas back for next week will definitely help the defense from getting so gassed. Hopefully, the waiver comes through on Tuesday...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So Edsall burned the program to the ground, has brought in his guys, told us how great they are but there is a risk if they actually beat someone he’ll lose their attention going into week 2.

Kinda sad that’s a possibility for a team that hasnt won an FBS game since 1976

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
God bless those that can rewatch that... but Wagner only ran 44 plays and the defense was that gassed?

Should go well when UCF runs 80.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
God bless those that can rewatch that... but Wagner only ran 44 plays and the defense was that gassed?

Should go well when UCF runs 80.
Yeah - that’s gonna be a problem

Reaction Score
6 wins:

1) Beat FCS Nova by 5 at home.
2) Beat 2-10 Army by 5 at home.
3) Beat 0-12 UCF away.
4) Beat 5-7 ECU at home.
5) Bet 3-9 Tulane on the road 7-3.
6) Beat Houston at home by 3.

We scored less than 21 points in 10 out of 13 games.

The 2015 team was not good, but the win over Houston at home was a great game!

Reaction Score
Not going to bump the Game Week thread so I'm gonna drop this here:

UConn’s Mike Beaudry sees mixed results in ‘fast, physical, fun’ debut (Putterman)

>>Coach Randy Edsall said Beaudry missed an open receiver on the interception, locking in on one receiver and throwing the ball even when he was covered.

Overall, Edsall said, Beaudry had good moments and not-as-good moments.

“I just thought he was a little inconsistent in terms of what we were asking him to do," the coach said. "There were a couple times, a couple reads that he should have been throwing the ball out and getting those guys one-on-one in space and he handed it off. He made some really good throws, but then he missed some opportunities for big plays.”<<

Regarding Caleb Thomas issue:

>>Thomas learned just days ago that he would be forced to miss four games as a result of an issue with a summer class. Edsall said UConn asked the NCAA for a waiver last week but was denied, resulting in Thomas sitting out Thursday night. The program has since filed an appeal, which will be decided by a committee that meets Tuesday, the coach said.

“Hopefully by Tuesday afternoon we’ll have some resolution to this,” Edsall said Friday. “There is precedent that waivers have been granted, and plus he’s already served a one-game suspension that other waivers that got granted, people didn’t have to do that.”<<

Reaction Score
Big deal...when was the last time we were 1-0? Granted it was a FCS team, but at least we are 1-0. I'm watching the Ohio State FAU game and I think the FAU Defense changed ... Ohio State was marching down the field, until they changed something, now FAU is stopping them.

Reaction Score
Missed this earlier today from N. Ostout: Problems shift to other side of the ball

>>In a strange twist given its recent history, it’s the UConn offense that seems to need a lift at this point and not the defense. The latter seems much improved from a season ago.

“Ultimately it goes to the players,” Edsall said. “You all know what they went through last year. And they didn’t want that to happen this year.

“The scheme is, I don’t want to say easy, but they picked it up and the can execute it,” Edsall continued. “We weren’t perfect but we were flying around.”<<

Reaction Score
Interesting that Edsall is saying that Beaudry made the call (well wrong read) on some of the inside handoffs vs. throwing the ball out (probably more bubble screens)

Of course the cynic in me says that Beaudry's seen old game footage of Edsall's teams and figured that was NEVER the wrong call...

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
It was a NEC team. Bryant, Sacred Heart, St. Francis, Duquesne, CCSU. Geez.

FWIW, Maine dispatched Logan Marchi and Sacred Heart 42-14 this weekend. Old Husky starter Jordan Swann continues to be unable to crack the lineup at Maine.

Reaction Score
6 wins:

1) Beat FCS Nova by 5 at home.
2) Beat 2-10 Army by 5 at home.
3) Beat 0-12 UCF away.
4) Beat 5-7 ECU at home.
5) Bet 3-9 Tulane on the road 7-3.
6) Beat Houston at home by 3.

We scored less than 21 points in 10 out of 13 games.

The 2015 team was not good, but the win over Houston at home was a great game!
Think they had a favorable high to ratio that year.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'The great mystery of the night is why did we run an O that was dedicated to attacking only the edges of the field. Weird. '
maybe because their lb'ing corp, especially in the middle, is pretty good with seniors running all over the place? it's not like we didn't hear this guys name a lot, too.
'edward nunez- Before Wagner: High motor type of athlete with a real nose for the ball ... Two-year varsity starter at inside linebacker and fullback for the Governors ... As a senior, earned First-Team All-County, All-City, All-Conference and All-Area honors ... Led his team to a conference title as a senior.'
his engine was live in the second half, when everbody else was cramping out. high motor, indeed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom