The Portal - Giveth and Taketh and Implications on Culture | The Boneyard

The Portal - Giveth and Taketh and Implications on Culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While it seemed like a daily dose of "portal" gloom for a week plus, the portal gods (aka the coaching staff) delivered Newton and Alleyne. Two senior guards bring height and scoring prowess. The question remains how do you they fit from a culture standpoint. We all know that Captain Intensity (Could that be softening?) is all in on culture. The question remains how do they fit in? Newton is a volume scorer, albeit playing for a dumpster fire of a squad from the bad old AAC days. What happens when he doesn't get "his" game in and game out? There are a lot of options to score with only one basketball to go around. Alleyne played a lot of minutes at VT. He won't play that many with us. Many teams struggled with acclimating portal guys this past season. It's like bringing in "one and done's" for a year. Rent a players. Do they buy into the established Conn hoops culture with the likes of Adama (Hall fans still mad about him), Jax and Hawk? Will they want to stay another year? It is a fascinating story to play out. What say you?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Despite my gripe with transfers, these two guys are actually perfect fits IMO with this roster.

Newton averaged 5.5 assists a game at ECU and will be playing around much better talent to get the ball too. Not only that but he can fill it up to allow Andre Jackson to still be a playmaker too to be able to play off him.

Alleyne seems to be a straight shooter to replace Polley but as a guard that can play defense.

Once we get another ball handler, whether it’s Castle or another portal player. We will have a really really good roster heading into the season. Possibly Hurley’s best roster.

Last year yeah, with most of the lead guys being more scorers than facilitators the one ball thing was an issue. We should have better playmakers at every spot that’s being filled next year though.

Reaction Score
While it seemed like a daily dose of "portal" gloom for a week plus, the portal gods (aka the coaching staff) delivered Newton and Alleyne. Two senior guards bring height and scoring prowess. The question remains how do you they fit from a culture standpoint. We all know that Captain Intensity (Could that be softening?) is all in on culture. The question remains how do they fit in? Newton is a volume scorer, albeit playing for a dumpster fire of a squad from the bad old AAC days. What happens when he doesn't get "his" game in and game out? There are a lot of options to score with only one basketball to go around. Alleyne played a lot of minutes at VT. He won't play that many with us. Many teams struggled with acclimating portal guys this past season. It's like bringing in "one and done's" for a year. Rent a players. Do they buy into the established Conn hoops culture with the likes of Adama (Hall fans still mad about him), Jax and Hawk? Will they want to stay another year? It is a fascinating story to play out. What say you?
Transfers should be ready to buy into the coaches, the program and the players because they chose to transfer to a new situation with more upside than their previous gig. They have several months to practice and play together. I'd suggest spending some time around Coach Mora and getting ready for that Revolution too. Take in all the other sports.
This Is UCONN Country.

Reaction Score
His new nickname is The Truth King. Please try to keep up.

Reaction Score
Players are changing high school and AAU teams all the time and jumping around, they're used to this. They'll have 6 months to build up that new chemistry before November so I'm not worried

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Culture will be more about being a good place to work v. some crazy team unity.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about the two guys we got. I think they fit the culture, the way we play and what we need. I think there are teams out there replacing a whole lineups or roster that are going to end up with some poorly constructed rosters. It will be hard to build a culture if you are frequently replacing lots of guys.

I'd like to think that Dan is being pretty honest with transfers about what time we have available.

Reaction Score
Actually ECU was coming on
two years ago , they beat Houston but then lost their leading scorer Gardner to
Virginia where he averaged 15 PPG
what could have been a great year with among the best BC in the AAC fell apart
The coach was fired. Welcome to the NWO
The portal makes it almost impossible to ever really get better even with a coach who can develop talent. They are essentially minor leagues. With guys going up and down.
Think about the impact on a portal when JC was at NE or even his early years at UConn.. It’s got to be modified or the end result will be the game’s destruction

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about the two guys we got. I think they fit the culture, the way we play and what we need. I think there are teams out there replacing a whole lineups or roster that are going to end up with some poorly constructed rosters. It will be hard to build a culture if you are frequently replacing lots of guys.

I'd like to think that Dan is being pretty honest with transfers about what time we have available.
If a fairly well-connected poster here is correct, and I believe that he is, then it is likely that we won’t have any more additions to the roster until the guys in the portal start seeing the writing on the wall and are willing to except a “depth“ position on the roster.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Our team culture needs to be “winning”. As long as our new players can adjust to winning, we’ll all be happy.
Winning is an outcome more than a culture. I want the culture to be team ball. Look what happened to the Celtics when they committed to team ball. They started winning.

Reaction Score
Winning is an outcome more than a culture. I want the culture to be team ball. Look what happened to the Celtics when they committed to team ball. They started winning.
Guys gotta play their roles and fit in with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom