The Playoff Picture, Round One

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
WNBA-Playoffs-Bracket-IG-1-1.jpg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I understand the general motivation for making the first 2 rounds single elimination but I get real guilty around this time of year with the 3/4 seeds who have to play in it (Conn for example and my Liberty in past years)

I am fine with Round 1 being single elimination but why not make Round 2 best 2 of 3 which is a smooth transition to the semifinals being best 3 of 5.

I don't think that change would lessen the intensity of going after the 1-2 seeds since it is still double bye and 3 of 5 (and even more rest for the 1-2 seeds)

Does the fact that this slightly lengthens the overall WNBA season the underlying issue? :confused:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I am fine with Round 1 being single elimination but why not make Round 2 best 2 of 3 which is a smooth transition to the semifinals being best 3 of 5.

I don't think that change would lessen the intensity of going after the 1-2 seeds since it is still double bye and 3 of 5 (and even more rest for the 1-2 seeds)

Does the fact that this slightly lengthens the overall WNBA season the underlying issue? :confused:

1) Scheduling. Lots of travel back and forth in a very short time for a three-game series.
2) Seattle and Atlanta will have about one week off, with the double bye. The longer that Round 2 is, the longer that the top two teams have the opportunity to rest. It is one thing to have a 3 or 4 seed play one game during this time (or a 5-8 seed play two games), but to have a team play 3-4 extra games while the top two teams rest is too much of an unfair advantage.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
1) Scheduling. Lots of travel back and forth in a very short time for a three-game series.
2) Seattle and Atlanta will have about one week off, with the double bye. The longer that Round 2 is, the longer that the top two teams have the opportunity to rest. It is one thing to have a 3 or 4 seed play one game during this time (or a 5-8 seed play two games), but to have a team play 3-4 extra games while the top two teams rest is too much of an unfair advantage.

Thanks for the feedback. Did not really consider the travel issue.

Reaction Score
So I just got off a flight with a few of the Wings players including Azura. Got to chat with Theresa for a bit. They didn't even have a non stop flight to Phoenix. This was a Southwest flight so let me tell you how comfortable they looked. There were a whole lot of legs in the aisle. I think they're ok with single elim games just based off of travel alone. Lol.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So I just got off a flight with a few of the Wings players including Azura. Got to chat with Theresa for a bit. They didn't even have a non stop flight to Phoenix. This was a Southwest flight so let me tell you how comfortable they looked. There were a whole lot of legs in the aisle. I think they're ok with single elim games just based off of travel alone. Lol.

Forget Z. Give me a Liz Cambage reaction.

Reaction Score
Ha!! Cambage wasn't on the flight. But I sat next to them and got a photo with Theresa and Cayla.

Reaction Score
Forget Z. Give me a Liz Cambage reaction.
But I will say I met Cambage at Burning Man at the medical tent. She cut her leg and I had dust in my eye. She was really sweet. Shes not a diva at all in my opinion. Shes a fun woman that wants to experience life to the fullest.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

Travel has had a huge impact on this season with the short turn around between games.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Information for posters' analysis and predictions for the 2018 WNBA Playoffs

End of 2018 WNBA regular season last ten games (playoff teams in italics):

Connecticut Sun 9-1
Seattle Storm 8-2
Atlanta Dream 8-2
Washington Mystics 8-2
Phoenix Mercury 5-5
Los Angeles Sparks 5-5

Chicago Sky 5-5
Minnesota Lynx 4-6
Las Vegas Aces 3-7
Indiana Fever 3-7
Dallas Wings 1-9
New York Liberty 0-10

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Information for posters' analysis and predictions for the 2018 WNBA Playoffs

End of 2018 WNBA regular season last ten games (playoff teams in italics):

Connecticut Sun 9-1
Seattle Storm 8-2
Atlanta Dream 8-2
Washington Mystics 8-2
Phoenix Mercury 5-5
Los Angeles Sparks 5-5

Chicago Sky 5-5
Minnesota Lynx 4-6
Las Vegas Aces 3-7
Indiana Fever 3-7
Dallas Wings 1-9
New York Liberty 0-10

I'm not really a prediction guy but I can tell you I really proud of our Sun team's finish and really the whole season. Due to the crazy schedule, each team faced tremendous head- or tail-winds at different times in the season. When the schedule first came out, we knew these last weeks would be to the Sun's favor assuming they survived the hell of June/July (13 out 16 on the road) relatively unscathed. They are in the same finish position they were last year, but got here in a very different manner. Last year they kind of petered out at the end and fell back to 4th before getting eliminated by the Merc in the 2nd round. This year things feel more positive, and you sence some momentum. There's a good chance the Sun will have the same 2nd round matchup as last year, and a chance at sweet redemption, but one-and-dones are pretty much unpredictable in a league with such parity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom