The oral history of the 1999 NCAA Championship-winning UConn men’s basketball team 20 years later | The Boneyard

The oral history of the 1999 NCAA Championship-winning UConn men’s basketball team 20 years later

Reaction Score
Not sure if you guys have seen this, but a very interesting read.

The oral history of the 1999 NCAA Championship-winning UConn men’s basketball team 20 years later

This is a long article, two especially interesting quotes

The ’99 title ‘wasn’t gonna happen’
Kevin Freeman, junior forward:
It wasn't gonna happen. That was the original thing — it wasn't gonna happen. I was so exhausted and so defeated from that point in the season, and I felt like I was undervalued. Rip (Hamilton) was getting ready to leave (for the NBA). And (former UConn guard) Monquencio Hardnett, who was one of my favorite teammates and a close friend of mine, was [graduating]. Rip was torn. I didn't know if I was coming back to UConn. At that point, I had thoughts of leaving. There was a month or two where I didn't show up to practice, I didn't go to the workouts. Rip was saying he was leaving. So the journey hadn't started for that [championship season] yet. Carolina happens, it all pauses, and now I'm caught in self-reflection of whether I should come back or not.

Richard "Rip" Hamilton, junior guard/forward: I was real close [to leaving]. I had talked to Kevin, who was my best friend. And I talked to my parents. I was really thinking about leaving after my sophomore year. And then I had a sit-down with Coach Calhoun. I was kinda dodging him and running away from him at the end of my sophomore year, because I knew that if anybody could convince me to stay, it was gonna be him.

In some alternate universe I think they don't come back and Uconn struggles through the season. ha.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom