The One Sport Athlete: Part Infinity | The Boneyard

The One Sport Athlete: Part Infinity

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dr. James Andrews' perspective on youth, college sports, the NFL and specialization.

Dr. James Andrews: Football players would benefit from fewer games

From golf legend Jack Nicklaus to current Philadelphia Phillies star Bryce Harper, Andrews’ sports medicine influence spans the biggest sports and figures in American culture.
Like most people who grew up watching Heisman Trophy winner Billy Cannon and the LSU Tigers, however, football holds a special place for Andrews.
“I’ve been fortunate all these years to be in the Southeastern portion of the United States, where football is king,” Andrews said. “Football has always been the most popular sport in our part of the country, even when I was growing up in high school. High school football was the No. 1 thing we did.”
Andrews said there’s no ignoring that football has changed since his work with Bo Jackson in 1984, not to mention his days watching Cannon.

Andrews points to overuse, fatigue and burnout as prime culprits for so many injury-rattled players.
“I think we have way too many games already,” Andrews said. “I’d like to see the fatigue factor eliminated to some degree. It’s really related to the injuries that we see.
“Football like all sports has become a year-round involvement. These NFL, college and even high school players, they have something going on 12 months a year.”

“I think personally having four preseason games and keeping all these wannabe, filler-type players for four games before they cut anybody is a little bit taking advantage of these players that are obviously not going to make the team,” Andrews said. “You know, they don’t make any money in the preseason to speak of. It’s hardly enough money to even speak about it.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro
Top Bottom