The Old Field House | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Old Field House

Reaction Score
I'll always remember when I won the opening tap against Cornelius Benton, the football team's QB, in an intramural hoop game. The team was made up mostly of football players and they pretty much killed us after that, but his team really let him hear it. In my defense, I did have some hops back then.

Reaction Score
Seeing Dr. J play for UMass
Playing intramural basketball on the court
Sneaking in the back entrance for games

Reaction Score
there was an indoor track and field high school invitation there every year just after Christmas that I had to sit through all day to support teammates and wait for my event. Pretty boring as the highlight was walking to Hardee’s (only place open to eat) for lunch.

also attended my first UConn game in 1975 and sat right behind the hoop. Good view of Tony Hanson dunking. And hotdogs at half time

Reaction Score
I went to that slowdown game against URI. As I recall, URI was heavily favored because we lost two starters and a top reserve just prior to the game. I think it was academic issues. Uconn was leading something like 10-8 at halftime and went on to win by about 5. They had to give Melody oxygen several times during the game. One of the most exciting that I ever saw!
35-32. Remember watching on TV

Reaction Score
Their best player Bob Nash was from Hartford. Another Ryan Gomes moment must have occurred.
Bob Nash was a terrific player. Tough to recruit, Storrs vs Honolulu

Reaction Score
1974 NIT in the Garden(they were all at the garden in those days) vs St Johns. Rodney Bass comes into the game. scores a basket and is fouled. He completes the foul shot. runs to under the basket. intercepts the inbound pass. scores and is fouled. He completes the six point play and dee rowe replaces him after the foul shot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went to UConn 1973-77 and never missed a game when classes were in session. Sat end court with dormmates. When the place was full, the noise could be incredible and intimidating to the opponent.

Reaction Score
Wow...saw Uconn and Rhody...Year before Hanson. 2nd time I went with a girl and ended up on TV for a 2nd. Didn't know it until later when my wife told me....Yikes. My FIRST wife.

Reaction Score
Was fortunate enough to call Men's games on WHUS, and my fondest memory of the Field House was the VCU game in '88 en route to the NIT Championship. Phil Stinnie for VCU was legit. Place was jam packed and LOUD. We sat at the top of the bleachers and it was super hot in there that night!

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
1974 NIT in the Garden(they were all at the garden in those days) vs St Johns. Rodney Bass comes into the game. scores a basket and is fouled. He completes the foul shot. runs to under the basket. intercepts the inbound pass. scores and is fouled. He completes the six point play and dee rowe replaces him after the foul shot.

Never heard that story but remember Mr. Bass as the vice principal of discipline at mu junior high school from tome spent in his office.....

Reaction Score
Let's see, the leading roof, the track was rock-hard and jogging on it in the middle of winter meant it was just above freezing inside versus below freezing outside, the really sad free weights under the south bleachers that had been in use since the 1950's, and the basement racquetball court, though I did knock that one off my bucket list one early winter weekend morning with willing accomplice.

Reaction Score
One of my funniest memories of the Field House was when we were playing BC. The students in the end court seating were right on top of the court. At one point, towards the end of the game, a BC player was shooting foul shoots when the students unfurled a larger than life banner of a fully naked lady behind the basket. It really distracted the shooter as he missed the shot. The place when into an uproar of chants and the police came running over to take the banner and apprehend the students. But the students were faster as they ran away. Loved those days!!!

I was near the basket at Gampel for a game against FSU and Charlie Ward literally dropped the ball while baout to take a free throw. I loooked over my shoulder and I swore I saw a girl body sufing through the sudent section in VERY little clothing.

Reaction Score
Getting dunked on by an intramural team named the “Swinging Johnsons”.

Sounds like a pick-up game I played one spring on the old Alumni outdoor courts. I'm a 5' 7" guy who cn't dribble and I was carrying the ball up the court only to stop when I rank into a kneecap at my eye-level. I looked-up and went 'this isn't going to end well for me isn't?' Donyell smiled and and shook his head no before him and another guy absolutely crushed my dorm trio. I guess he remember that winter when he challenged my in Madden football that winter. He was up by 17 at half when I turned to him and asked if he was 'ready' to play. I proceeed to outscore him 35-3 in the second half. Whoops.

Reaction Score
I was near the basket at Gampel for a game against FSU and Charlie Ward literally dropped the ball while baout to take a free throw. I loooked over my shoulder and I swore I saw a girl body sufing through the sudent section in VERY little clothing.
So it was an FSU game not a BC game.. Thanks for the clarification. My memory is a bit shot..LOL

Reaction Score
Dom Perno camp - trying to dunk when I couldn't but was pretty close and grabbing the rim and making some noise and being psyched when Howie Dickenman asked me what my name was.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom