the Ohio State & Clemson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

the Ohio State & Clemson

Reaction Score
How do you suppose it gets that far when Saban quits on the team halfway through season #2, because he can't handle the losing, can't recruiting over last year's 5* players with this years crop of 5* players, and doesn't know how to put a 53 player team together with a salary cap and draft slot?
The question was, "Which roster would you prefer." I didn't know that I was required to take the coaches, but I guess I'd rather have Saban than the ghost of Adam Gase.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The question was, "Which roster would you prefer." I didn't know that I was required to take the coaches, but I guess I'd rather have Saban than the ghost of Adam Gase.
All things being equal, I'd prefer the roster with more NFL ready talent at any given point in time, and that would be the Jets every single day and twice on Sunday. 53 NFL ready players (+practice squad) > Whatever number is drafted/signed off of Alabama in April/May.

Why aren't the Jets allowed to make adjustments to their roster over the 4 year period in your hypothetical? Why is Alabama cutting the bottom half of their roster, yet getting the benefit of the younger guys maturing + very high draft picks?

Reaction Score
As great as he is as a college coach, Saban clearly showed he was not cutout for the NFL. His style works with 18-22 year olds trying to get better not 25-35 year olds trying to keep their careers going.
He wasn't a terrible head coach in the NFL. Average at best.

Husky25

Reaction Score
He wasn't a terrible head coach in the NFL. Average at best.
15-17, but the front office picked poorly between Culpepper and Brees. May or may not have checked out in December when Shula was fired.

Reaction Score
All things being equal, I'd prefer the roster with more NFL ready talent at any given point in time, and that would be the Jets every single day and twice on Sunday. 53 NFL ready players (+practice squad) > Whatever number is drafted/signed off of Alabama in April/May.

Why aren't the Jets allowed to make adjustments to their roster over the 4 year period in your hypothetical? Why is Alabama cutting the bottom half of their roster, yet getting the benefit of the younger guys maturing + very high draft picks?
Who said I wouldn't let the Jets make adjustments to their roster? What I said was that either way it's a multi-year rebuilding plan where you would need to rework the bottom half of the roster. If you go with the Jets roster you probably have about a dozen players that might be worth a 1-3 round draft pick. The rest may be NFL players, but they are marginal ones that are pretty easily replaced and would probably be gone by the end of any 4 year plan (the NFL is brutal that way). Alabama generates 5-10 day one or two picks (meaning roughly 25-30 on the roster) and 8-12 total picks (30-40 on roster) each year. Since many of those players would not be NFL ready year one, you'd have to bring in 25 or so replacement level players for the first season and the team would be terrible (top 1 or 2 pick), but each season a new group would mature and by the end of year 4 they'd be a potential contender. The roster starting with the Jets would also add new draft picks every year but wouldn't have the added benefit of having the equivalent of a second entire set of draft picks maturing each season for 4 years. That formula hasn't worked for all but a handful of the last 50 years.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Who said I wouldn't let the Jets make adjustments to their roster? What I said was that either way it's a multi-year rebuilding plan where you would need to rework the bottom half of the roster. If you go with the Jets roster you probably have about a dozen players that might be worth a 1-3 round draft pick. The rest may be NFL players, but they are marginal ones that are pretty easily replaced and would probably be gone by the end of any 4 year plan (the NFL is brutal that way). Alabama generates 5-10 day one or two picks (meaning roughly 25-30 on the roster) and 8-12 total picks (30-40 on roster) each year. Since many of those players would not be NFL ready year one, you'd have to bring in 25 or so replacement level players for the first season and the team would be terrible (top 1 or 2 pick), but each season a new group would mature and by the end of year 4 they'd be a potential contender. The roster starting with the Jets would also add new draft picks every year but wouldn't have the added benefit of having the equivalent of a second entire set of draft picks maturing each season for 4 years. That formula hasn't worked for all but a handful of the last 50 years.

That's a lot of words to talk yourself into taking a college roster as a base for an NFL team over an NFL roster.

I will make my POV simple. Jets players 13-53 may be marginal NFL Players, but they are presently NFL Players, with the experience and athletic maturity to be there. If they were to be replaced, they would be replaced with other NFL ready players.

Players 13-85 on the Alabama roster are not NFL ready. If they were, every draft eligible body, redshirt sophomore and older, would be on an NFL roster come Labor Day, drafted or not.

This is not to say that the Alabama underclassmen don't have potential, but current NFL players are fulfilling or have already fulfilled that potential.

At the end of the day:

NFL player (Even on the Jets) = Alabama + potential.

Last edited:

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
You are changing what he said...
No, that is exactly what I was saying. If you were starting a franchise from scratch, which roster would you rather start your franchise with. It is definitely Alabama's roster over the NYJ.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
No, that is exactly what I was saying. If you were starting a franchise from scratch, which roster would you rather start your franchise with. It is definitely Alabama's roster over the NYJ.
No...that's not what he said. He had a whole four year plan.

And...it's the Jets roster every day. They are all NFL players. Alabama is not. This reminds of the old argument that some prolific college basketball team could beat low level NBA teams. No they can't.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

And...it's the Jets roster every day. They are all NFL players. Alabama is not. This reminds of the old argument that some prolific college basketball team could beat low level NBA teams. No they can't.
If The Alabama roster played the Jets roster right now, Alabama would lose—no doubt. But that is not the question.

But if you are starting a franchise from scratch and the goal is to win a Super Bowl within 5 years, you take the Alabama roster no doubt. It isn’t even close.

Reaction Score
If The Alabama roster played the Jets roster right now, Alabama would lose—no doubt. But that is not the question.

But if you are starting a franchise from scratch and the goal is to win a Super Bowl within 5 years, you take the Alabama roster no doubt. It isn’t even close.

From the second paragraph I can only conclude that you have spent way to much time drinking on 'The Strip' in T-Town.

Reaction Score

Of course I had a four year plan. If you took the Jets roster you would also have a four year plan because the current team sucks (unless you're happy to just suck forever). I also never said that Alabama could beat the Jets head up as you implied. Even if you cut half the Alabama roster and replaced them with NFL free agents the Jets would easily win in year 1. However, that shouldn't be the goal because that would be one of their few wins for the season. The goal should be to build a strong franchise so the only question that's relevant is "which roster and what strategy provide the greatest opportunity to build a regular winner?" Either way you are going to turn over most of the roster, but Alabama roster has far more guys with the potential to be difference makers (albeit many in years 2-4 as they mature) than the Jets. Those are the guys that will lead a franchise to long-term success so, if I'm planning for the future, I'd take the Alabama roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom