OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I love quality Swiss but no one else likes it. I usually buy a little with Boarshead turkey pastrami but I can eat it by it’s self. Say what you want.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Corn Bread
Potato dinner rolls

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
33549.jpg

Wegmans Pain de Campagne Round Bread, put through their slicer. Best. Toast. Ever.
Where do you get to a Wegmans?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Where do you get to a Wegmans?
Mother in law used to live in upstate New York and that’s when we got turned on to it. She used to bring us a few sliced loaves and we would freeze them. She moved down here a few years ago but now one of our daughters is in school in Baltimore and we stopped at one in Maryland on our recent trip; don’t remember the town but friends who used to live here moved there and we went to the one they frequent in large part just to load up on the bread. Wife and daughters love it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Cozy Corner Bake Shop in Killingworth makes a sinful cinnamon bread. Mommy!

From the store we dig Tuscan loaves.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cheddar from Vermont or Ireland. That’s all that needs to be said. Lots of variation and many great producers. Kudos to Parmesean, Romano and Asiago for honorable mention status. Some nice Spanish cheeses too.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Remember when the Breadman machines were all the rage?

I wonder how many, like us, registered for and got one for a wedding present, only to sell it at a tag sale five years later. Seemed like such a great idea, got old quick. Low-carb mania sealed its fate.

Reaction Score
a) Sabrett's
b) to make a dirty water pushcart dog, you need dirty water from cooking lots of hot dogs all day.

You can try to approximate dirty water by using a pinch each of nutmeg and cumin and a tablespoon of red vinegar per each quart of water used for boiling.
You don't even have to bother with the rotisserie chicken - we just chuck a whole 5-pound bird in.

I take the skin off the bird though - don't have to bother with the fat separator afterwords if you do that.

During WW2, chicens were hard to come by so chicken soup was a gelatin ball filled with dehydrated broth which was dropped in boiling water to make broth. Any lechicken was dropped into the “broth”.bones and all.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I love the boiled hot dogs at the NYC street carts. I know right. I Ray boiling had at home and they just don’t taste the same. I have tried different dogs still don’t taste the same.

The better the bun the better the dog tastes. I now buy sodium and nitrate free dogs! Taste good and better for me.

The trick to water dogs at home is to boil the water until rolling hard, drop the dogs in and cover and immediately remove from heat. And then let them sit in it for about 1/2 hour.

I’m going to try storrs little spice trick. But not cooking them in boiling water but letting them sit covered in water that just boiled really does work.

Oh and he’s right about sabretts but I actually prefer Hebrew national. Nathan’s will also do in a pinch. All 3 lend themselves to NY water dog treatment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the sharper the cheddar the better.

but i recently got hooked on aged gouda and it is a whole nother level.

there’s this spot dom’s cheese shop in avon i think. i like their cheese.

Reaction Score
Cheddar from Vermont or Ireland. That’s all that needs to be said. Lots of variation and many great producers. Kudos to Parmesean, Romano and Asiago for honorable mention status. Some nice Spanish cheeses too.

As far as cheddars go, Washington State University has a great one — their creamery is like UConn’s Dairy Bar. The cheese is called Cougar Gold. It comes in large aluminum cans. Highly recommended.

Reaction Score
Breadish local favorites:

1. the homemade toast at Lottie's in South Glastonbury. Cinnamin Swirl or Wheat, both are sensational;

2. Rolls, kaiser roll, buttered from Highland Park Market in Glastonbury.

You simply cannot go wrong with these.

Reaction Score
Old Croc extra sharp cheddar from Austrailia. Just plain yummy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom