OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Campbell"s tomato soup complimented with a grilled cheese made of white wonder bread and Kraft singles.
Individually, they all suck, together, when you are in mood... retro magic.

Wife makes great soups. A few of her best:

Choriezo Kale Soup - Choriezo, kale, potatoes, kindney, beans, tomatos. It is spicy and and amazing. Now that I think about it, I think I'll ask her to make it this weekend.

1549601182811.png

Broccoli - Creamy soup with chunks of broccoli so good.

French Onion - Port based rich onion broth, topped with crispy bread and multiple cheeses.

Black Bean - Pureed black beans in a slightly spicy base. Also excellent.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Although I think the rest of the restaurant is trash (what better way to ruin seafood than to batter and fry it? I only ever get their shrimp), the chowder at Lenny and Joe's is probably my favorite.
so fried catfish, fried codfish (and chips), and clam or scallop fritters are ruinations? uh, not for the rest of us.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Campbell"s tomato soup complimented with a grilled cheese made of white wonder bread and Kraft singles.

I can go with the first and last items, but never Wonder bread. A nice crusty sourdough works though. Even with Kraft singles. Ideally pan fried in butter. Campbell's tomato actually does suck, but it's nostalgic. No other processed soup has that particular level of fake sweetness.

I currently have a crapton of chicken stock waiting to be used for something. It's the best part of buying those emergency-I-have-nothing-for-dinner-tonight supermarket rotisserie chickens. Sadly, wife is not a soup fan, so I don't make it often. But I could live on stuff like Cuban black bean or beans & greens, or groundnut stew all winter.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The only time I ever feel like soup is a good idea is when I’m sick. That soup will never be Manhattan clam chowder, though.

One of the best uses for an instant pot is chicken soup. Takes all of about 25 minutes, plus whatever time it takes to chop some veggies.
Instant Pot sucks at a lot of things but it’s great for soups and stocks. Whenever we get a rotisserie chicken the scraps all go in with carrots, celery, onion, etc... comes out great.

Reaction Score
I really like soup, and I have a few originals. Perhaps my favorite is my Spanish Style Onion Soup. It is complicated, but not difficult. Ingredients include red peppers chorizo, potatoes, sherry, white wine,garlic,
pimeton, hot paprika, rye bread, and Stilton crumbles. You can substitute sour cream and scallions for the rye bread and Stilton. It is in one of my cookbooks, but recipe is available just ask.

Reaction Score
Zerio's in Cromwell makes some nice soups... Every once in a while I fiend for soup and they are pretty regularly mixing up their options.

Years ago, my wife and I stopped at a soup place in Brewster, Mass that was awesome. I have no idea what is was called and I doubt it's still there. But it was great.

Reaction Score
All things soup here. Your recipes. Your favorite spots. Maybe throw in a stew discussion?

I'll start it with this. My mom swore by making her chicken soup with a chicken from Crown Market in West Hartford. She said the "Jew chickens made the best soup". I don't get my chicken there and my soup isn't nearly as good as hers. Hard to argue. Maybe I'll swing by this weekend.

Lol hate to break this to you. My grandfather owned a chicken farm for many many years. Said the chickens that weren't cream of crop he would pump them up and make them look like the cream of the crop them sell them to the Jewish buyers for more than the better birds he would sell to his fellow paisan

Granted things have changed since those days but your mom probably bought some of the bottom feeding chickens

Reaction Score
Lol hate to break this to you. My grandfather owned a chicken farm for many many years. Said the chickens that weren't cream of crop he would pump them up and make them look like the cream of the crop them sell them to the Jewish buyers for more than the better birds he would sell to his fellow paisan

Granted things have changed since those days but your mom probably bought some of the bottom feeding chickens

Her soup was great. If a bottom feeder chicken would make it taste like hers, I'd use one.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

ooooof

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can go with the first and last items, but never Wonder bread. A nice crusty sourdough works though. Even with Kraft singles. Ideally pan fried in butter. Campbell's tomato actually does suck, but it's nostalgic. No other processed soup has that particular level of fake sweetness.

I currently have a crapton of chicken stock waiting to be used for something. It's the best part of buying those emergency-I-have-nothing-for-dinner-tonight supermarket rotisserie chickens. Sadly, wife is not a soup fan, so I don't make it often. But I could live on stuff like Cuban black bean or beans & greens, or groundnut stew all winter.

Don't overthink the joke. The bread was listed because it's the most insipid uninspiring processed crap you can buy. Much like the soup and "cheese".

And yet, together, on a cold winter's day, it's palatable.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Don't overthink the joke. The bread was listed because it's the most insipid uninspiring processed crap you can buy. Much like the soup and "cheese".

And yet, together, on a cold winter's day, it's palatable.

However, it implies you actually keep Wonder bread in your house.

Reaction Score
Soups are great, definitely the best use of an instant pot.

My wife makes a great lemon chicken orzo soup and mean Brunswick Stew.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
However, it implies you actually keep Wonder bread in your house.

No on wonder bread and no on Campbell's soups. I don't know if I have ever purchased Wonder Bread in my life.

I am all for some good home made or bakery purchased crusty bread for soaking up broth and using a sturdy bread for the grilled cheese.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Brunswick Stew.

With rabbit?

Used to be a great traditional Brunswick stew at TX&AZ in Stamford (Springdale), which was one of my all-time favorite BBQ spots in the 80s. Haven't had it in 30 years.

Reaction Score
With rabbit?

Used to be a great traditional Brunswick stew at TX&AZ in Stamford (Springdale), which was one of my all-time favorite BBQ spots in the 80s. Haven't had it in 30 years.

Nah, pulled chicken and pork.

Reaction Score
The only difference between soups and stews is the flour,
Nah. Soups are flavored water with small bits of meat or vegetables. Stews are protein and vegetable dominant

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I love the potato soup at Outback.
On the home front, my wife makes the large packet of Lipton Soup with the correct amount of water, but adds a can of Tomato soup to it after it comes to a boil. Easy to make and tastes good.

Reaction Score
Although I think the rest of the restaurant is trash (what better way to ruin seafood than to batter and fry it? I only ever get their shrimp), the chowder at Lenny and Joe's is probably my favorite.
I respectfully disagree. Great fried fish, shrimp, scallops, and especially whole belly cally clams are right up there with great pizza.

Reaction Score
With rabbit?

Wow. I remember that place but haven't thought of it in forever. Worked on Hope Street back then.
It was good and the first southwest place I can recall in the area.

Amore and Hope Street Pizza still going.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Individually, they all suck, together, when you are in mood... retro magic.

Wife makes great soups. A few of her best:

Choriezo Kale Soup - Choriezo, kale, potatoes, kindney, beans, tomatos. It is spicy and and amazing. Now that I think about it, I think I'll ask her make it this weekend.

View attachment 39337
She might be hard-pressed to find autumn leaves for the table garnish.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom