OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread

Reaction Score
I made my suggested soup today, tastes as good as I remember. On cheese, it is versatile, available, equally desirable in salads, main dishes, sauces, and suprisingly even in desserts. One note, if you use cheese watch your salt.

Reaction Score
For those not willing to make soup Costco has a pretty decent homemade chicken soup. I like it but it is heavy on the pepper. Maybe not high end restaurant quality but way above cans and boxes.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
For those not willing to make soup Costco has a pretty decent homemade chicken soup. I like it but it is heavy on the pepper. Maybe not high end restaurant quality but way above cans and boxes.
Pretty believable, and it certainly tempted me earlier this week before I just went for the rotisserie chicken.

So here I am, half hour from neighborhood Soup Group, and I've got a stock about to boil and then simmer for a while. No, it's not for soup Group. I just like the idea that my labor today will end with my eating home made soup even if it's not mine.

All kidding aside, @Deepster's initial skepticism about restaurant soup has some merit. In addition to stripping off the meat to be added later, the rest of the Costco chicken - skin, bones, organs, gelatinous drippings, etc. - has gone into a stock pot with requisite water, and then I just added anything from the fridge or counter that I didn't want to deal with anymore: celery tops, carrot ends & peels, onion, crushed garlic, ginger root, unfirm limes & lemons, dill & parsley that wasn't going to get used for anything else, rose hips (got tired of looking at them with no sense of what they are for), salt and pepper.

Whatever emerges will get the treatment that @Son of Robert recommended, and I'll eventually add the chicken meat and some Costco frozen vegetables. I'm pretty certain it'll be good, and the refrigerator will be more manageable. I also have several Boneyard-recommended hot sauces, and some other tricks in reserve if I need 'em.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Soups -- Gumbo -- Beef Barley Stew
Also, my wife makes an Andouille, bacon and chickpea soup that is outstanding.

Bread -- can't do a whole lot better than real, fresh sliced, heavy on the caraway seeds, Jewish rye.

Cheese -- I am not a big fan of any of the fancyazz cheeses. Give me some decent provolone or a big chunk of Monterey Jack and I'm happy. Although smoked buffalo milk mozzarella is great -- or at least I remember it as being great. Haven't had it in years.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
My go-to soup is Rhode Island style clearbroth clam chowder

In terms of bread, nothing beats a dry, crusty, extra-well cooked loaf of Italian bastone bread.

I hate all cheese, so I won't weigh in on that part.

Reaction Score
The Easter bread my family makes is really good, eggs make it yellow in color, it has a hive brown crust on it. Toasted with butter slabbed on it- yum!
Cheese festivals are fun things, a great one is in Shelburne VT in the summer. Over 50 different cheese makers with all the different kinds of cheeses they make, plus VT ciders and beers (some of them) and spirits like Whistle Pig whiskey, other foods galore, all at beautiful Shelburne Farm on Lake Champlain.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Skied Stowe yesterday. Had chili with Mac and Cheese for lunch at the Octagon.

10/10 for taste
0/10 for the stomach

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom