The NIL Wars Begin: UW Donors, Alums Etc. Go To Work | The Boneyard

The NIL Wars Begin: UW Donors, Alums Etc. Go To Work

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

"A for-profit corporation unaffiliated with the University of Washington, Montlake Futures “was founded to provide a platform to directly develop and facilitate NIL opportunities for UW student-athletes, in cooperation with local businesses and sponsors,” according to a press release published Thursday. Local companies that have publicly endorsed “the formation and goals of Montlake Futures” include Alaska Airlines, Amazon, Costco, Nordstrom and Precept Wines."

“As time went on, we felt like we were probably a little bit behind where some of the other schools were. It’s really a price of admission now in being in college athletics, that if you’re not providing avenues for NIL deals for student-athletes, you’re going to be at a competitive disadvantage. The idea really was spawned out of necessity and competitive advantage, really.”

Added Dempsey in a statement: “I’m thrilled to be involved in supporting Montlake Futures and NIL opportunities for student-athletes at the University of Washington. We have the ability to create some truly unique opportunities, both for our athletes and our corporate partners.”

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
"A for-profit corporation unaffiliated with the University of Washington, Montlake Futures “was founded to provide a platform to directly develop and facilitate NIL opportunities for UW student-athletes, in cooperation with local businesses and sponsors . . . ."
"if you’re not providing avenues for NIL deals for student-athletes, you’re going to be at a competitive disadvantage. The idea really was spawned out of necessity and competitive advantage, really.”
"We have the ability to create some truly unique opportunities, both for our athletes and our corporate partners.”

I was afraid something like this would be developed. To my mind, competition belongs on the field/court, not in CCC (Competitive Collegiate Capitalism). The universities can in this way 'affiliate" their athletics with corporations for "competitive advantage" over other schools. Remember the bad old days when athletic departments offered off-the-books remuneration to prized athletes sponsored by shadowy alumni? This seems as wrong to me, even though it has been brought out of the shadows and into the spotlight. $$$$$$$$$

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I can see Universities that are in no or low State income taxes using it as an advantage in recruiting. Texas and Florida have no State income tax, vs States like California, Connecticut, NY, NJ. If recruits are looking at the NIL as part of their decision process this could be a hard hurdle to overcome.

Reaction Score
While the sky isn't falling (yet) the unanticipated consequences of NIL have yet to be realized as it affects recruiting among other things.

Reaction Score
I can see Universities that are in no or low State income taxes using it as an advantage in recruiting. Texas and Florida have no State income tax, vs States like California, Connecticut, NY, NJ. If recruits are looking at the NIL as part of their decision process this could be a hard hurdle to overcome.
Depending on how NIL income gets classified, the players could potentially be taxed as non-residents for every day they are outside of their home state. Pro sports players ultimately pay two dozen states in income taxes for the time they spent in those states playing road games. The same could apply to college players which would make tax advantages negligible especially if the total amount of NIL income we're talking about is relatively small.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"A for-profit corporation unaffiliated with the University of Washington, Montlake Futures “was founded to provide a platform to directly develop and facilitate NIL opportunities for UW student-athletes, in cooperation with local businesses and sponsors . . . ."
"if you’re not providing avenues for NIL deals for student-athletes, you’re going to be at a competitive disadvantage. The idea really was spawned out of necessity and competitive advantage, really.”
"We have the ability to create some truly unique opportunities, both for our athletes and our corporate partners.”

I was afraid something like this would be developed. To my mind, competition belongs on the field/court, not in CCC (Competitive Collegiate Capitalism). The universities can in this way 'affiliate" their athletics with corporations for "competitive advantage" over other schools. Remember the bad old days when athletic departments offered off-the-books remuneration to prized athletes sponsored by shadowy alumni? This seems as wrong to me, even though it has been brought out of the shadows and into the spotlight. $$$$$$$$$
Totally agree. A vehicle for donor/alum mischief that will make the John Wooden days look like kindergarten.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Depending on how NIL income gets classified, the players could potentially be taxed as non-residents for every day they are outside of their home state. Pro sports players ultimately pay two dozen states in income taxes for the time they spent in those states playing road games. The same could apply to college players which would make tax advantages negligible especially if the total amount of NIL income we're talking about is relatively small.
To me the only income taxes that a person should pay is the state that they currently reside in. If you are an individual that lives and works in Texas you should only pay Texas taxes, even if you go to another state to play a game or check out a subsidiary of the company you work for. You get no services from CA, NY, or others. That should be taxation without representation, which is not right. I was stationed in Virginia in the early 80's and my wife worked for the German Armed Forces Personnel U.S. & Canada just outside D.C. the State tried to charge VA taxes on my military pay because of my wife's job. I was lucky because not only did the Army step in, but the German Government also stepped in and used the Status of Forces agreement between the U.S. and Germany.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. A vehicle for donor/alum mischief that will make the John Wooden days look like kindergarten.
I think most of the corruption will be around CFB and MCBB, but how long until these types of partnerships extend to say the parents of a prized recruit like a Cam Newton's dad type deal? We've already seen that some schools in WCBB are willing to hire a recruit's parent as a coach or agree to also give a scholarship to a sibling to secure a top recruit.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think most of the corruption will be around CFB and MCBB, but how long until these types of partnerships extend to say the parents of a prized recruit like a Cam Newton's dad type deal? We've already seen that some schools in WCBB are willing to hire a recruit's parent as a coach or agree to also give a scholarship to a sibling to secure a top recruit.
Didn't Ohio State self punish itself and was not eligible for the Tourney last year because of the hiring of Mitchell's dad?

Reaction Score
Didn't Ohio State self punish itself and was not eligible for the Tourney last year because of the hiring of Mitchell's dad?
That I'm not sure of, but was the case I had in mind. Surely before doing something like that the school would have checked. If it's an NCAA violation, it's certainly not one you could classify as accidental.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No. That involved an assistant coach mischief with a player and some players getting $ beyond that permitted for away meals and the like.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom