The next number for Geno | The Boneyard

The next number for Geno

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Well, of course the next number is 12.

But beyond that, if this season's team finishes unbeaten and Geno coaches another seven seasons, averaging a 37-1 mark per season, he'll be 1,288-142, for a winning percentage of .900.

Seems impossible...but so did 11 national championships when he came to campus in 1985.

Reaction Score
Well, of course the next number is 12.

But beyond that, if this season's team finishes unbeaten and Geno coaches another seven seasons, averaging a 37-1 mark per season, he'll be 1,288-142, for a winning percentage of .900.

Seems impossible...but so did 11 national championships when he came to campus in 1985.
Based on past performance (we have nothing else to go on) UConn has averaged 37 wins per year for the last 10 years (all FF years) and a shade over 1 loss per year (1.3 for the fussy ones). Of course the issues are first will he be here for seven and can that level be sustained. Time and energy will tell. Damn, I'd be 80 then.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree on the next number for Geno - as far as he (and CD and the team) is number 1001. Most likely in his mind - just number 1. Not a single game of the prior 1000 has any bearing on the next game. The ONLY game that matters is the next one.
Now for us fans - that is an entirely different matter as far as numbers go.

Reaction Score
Based on past performance (we have nothing else to go on) UConn has averaged 37 wins per year for the last 10 years (all FF years) and a shade over 1 loss per year (1.3 for the fussy ones). Of course the issues are first will he be here for seven and can that level be sustained. Time and energy will tell. Damn, I'd be 80 then.
Will Geno have the time and energy into 80 ---W ell Yes. You forget that Geno has a STAFF of excellence--an ASSOCIATE (not as reported ASSISTANT) head coach, and 2 of the best assistants in WCBB Ever!! So if you think ALL who achieve 80 are decrepid --I assure you not all. My 96 year old sister worked at a real job well close to 90. Mental attitude is the key. Health is the other key. If something does not attack Geno--AS HE has said--as long as it's fun, he'll be coaching Uconn. Bill, you have the right attitude "I'll be 80 then."

Reaction Score
Now that 1000 is done and 111 is dead (last april) and 37 is a standard---let us forget the next number for GENO and team and let them just do what they do best--win games.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
The question is will Tara or Geno end up with the most Wins in Women's Basketball. Geno is 63 and Tara is 64. I SUSPECT Tara will coach longer then Geno as Geno has so many outside interests that MIGHT become a higher priority in his life. Will a NBA team come calling and offer Geno a job as an assistant coach? ;) They might also decide to retire in the same year. Who Knows !!!!!

I think Coach K will end up with the most wins in College Basketball, unless his health forces his retirement in the next year or two.

Reaction Score
Precisely BECAUSE Geno has the most outside interests, he will coach longer than Tara. Outside interests, including his deep love of people and publicity, keep him vital. Look at Tara on the bench: she is really moving onto the next stage of life. And if UCLA and Oregon continue to improve, it won't be much fun for her in the PAC-12.

trisailin: read again what Golden Husky wrote: GH basically said the next game is the most important for Geno, just said it differently.

Reaction Score
The question is will Tara or Geno end up with the most Wins in Women's Basketball. Geno is 63 and Tara is 64. I SUSPECT Tara will coach longer then Geno as Geno has so many outside interests that MIGHT become a higher priority in his life. Will a NBA team come calling and offer Geno a job as an assistant coach? ;) They might also decide to retire in the same year. Who Knows !!!!!

I think Coach K will end up with the most wins in College Basketball, unless his health forces his retirement in the next year or two.
Except that Coach K is 70, how many more years will he coach? He is about 14 wins behind Pat. Would he get past Pat and another year or two then retire?

Reaction Score

I think Geno will likely end up with the most wins. I don’t see anyone coming from behind to catch him, so that narrows the field to those ahead of him. Pat at 1098, could be passed in 3 years. If Tara continues at this years pace, Geno could pass her in 2 years. Silvia is tied with Geno and 2 years older, by this seasons end he will pass her. Coach K has 82 more wins but is 7 years older than Geno. Both coaches are on similar pace, so Geno would only need to retire at about 3-4 years younger to pass him.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The way Geno got to 1,000 was by taking them 1 at a time. His players are very good—considering that they are human—at staying in the moment and not overlooking any opponent.

When you take 1 at a time, you look up periodically and see 38, or 70, or 90, or 111.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Possibly, but I see Tara in the same light that I see Sylvia Hatchell. Sylvia should have retired a few years ago when she had the health problems. She coaches because it keeps her relevant and I'm sure one of the goals was reaching 1000 wins. It will be interesting to see if she still coaching next year or will UNC finally move on to another coach which they should have done a few years. ago.

Precisely BECAUSE Geno has the most outside interests, he will coach longer than Tara. Outside interests, including his deep love of people and publicity, keep him vital. Look at Tara on the bench: she is really moving onto the next stage of life. And if UCLA and Oregon continue to improve, it won't be much fun for her in the PAC-12.

trisailin: read again what Golden Husky wrote: GH basically said the next game is the most important for Geno, just said it differently.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I think Geno will likely end up with the most wins. I don’t see anyone coming from behind to catch him, so that narrows the field to those ahead of him. Pat at 1098, could be passed in 3 years. If Tara continues at this years pace, Geno could pass her in 2 years. Silvia is tied with Geno and 2 years older, by this seasons end he will pass her. Coach K has 82 more wins but is 7 years older than Geno. Both coaches are on similar pace, so Geno would only need to retire at about 3-4 years younger to pass him.
In the end, when assessing Auriemma's coaching achievements, I don't think total victories will matter that much.

How many wins did John Wooden have? Oh, you could look it up but no one remembers. What folks recall is that he won 10 national championships.

Geno may retire with the most victories but, eventually, someone probably will eclipse that mark. What won't be surpassed--at least in my lifetime--are the number of national championships he's brought to Storrs. You play for the hardware at the end of the season and that accomplishment will endure.

Fittingly for someone who's given so much to the game, even the national titles won't be the most important part of Geno's legacy. In my view, the love, gratitude and appreciation his former players have for him, will.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
How about uconn and geno not missing final four since 2006-2007. Other than the 11 nc's, that is just an astounding accomplishment..

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom