The next head coach for Penn State will be? | The Boneyard

The next head coach for Penn State will be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
PSU plays Houston in the Ticket City Bowl on January 2nd. Stories abound that PSU ticket sales are down. The reasons why are intersting, but you can read about that for yourself. However, what I haven't really seen talked about is who will be Tom Bradley's replacement if he isn't selected as the permanent head coach at Penn State. Notwithstanding that whoever is selected must have the skills to coach at the DI level, IMO two other qualifiers that I believe are just as important that the successful candidate must have are:
1. A 'relatively' squeaky clean image
2. No 'egregious' NCAA violations tied to them

I'll leave it to you boneyarders to define 'relatively' and egregious', but I will offer my opinion of who I think might get consideration. They may not be real big names, but IMO think they'd be a relatively safe pick.

Skip Holz, USF
Ken Niumatatlolo, Navy
Craig Bohl, NDSU

Reaction Score
If I were a PSU fan I would be pulling for someone like a Kyle Whittingham.

Side note....is anyone else distracted by the chick in the referee uniform on the right hand side of this site?

Reaction Score
Home grown PA Randy Edsall....I bet if he was still at Uconn he by high on the list

Reaction Score
Home grown PA Randy Edsall....I bet if he was still at Uconn he by high on the list

based on whats happened there, and a perceived need for a disciplinarian, RE would have been an absolute LOCK for that job if he was still here.

instead he went to his dream job, and took a metal bat to his career. congrats rangoon

Reaction Score
based on whats happened there, and a perceived need for a disciplinarian, RE would have been an absolute LOCK for that job if he was still here.

instead he went to his dream job, and took a metal bat to his career. congrats rangoon

Agreed. Timing is everything in life I guess.

Reaction Score
I think Penn State cleans house. Bradley isn't getting the job permanently. Not too sure who will but I think you're right that it will be a squeaky clean guy.

Reaction Score
I don't know who would be considered for the PS job, but I can't imagine Skip Holtz is even on the top 10 list. Why? Just take a look at the expected highs & low results of USF.

Reaction Score
Here's some insight we received today from PSU

The statement was released by Penn State's athletic department.
"As we head into the holidays, I wanted to share an update on the search for the next head football coach at Penn State (read: Mr. Bradley, you have no shot at this, we need to clean house). We are continuing to talk with individuals that we're interested in and work through the interview process (read: we've been turned down by the one's we really liked, so we are on to Plan B). As I'm sure all can appreciate, this is a very important hire for Penn State and, as a result, the search committee is taking a very deliberate and measured approach to the process in order to identify the coach that best fits the requirements of the position (read: in all my years I never thought it would be this hard to hire a HC for PSU, but we are a pariah).

"We look forward to introducing our new football coach at the appropriate time (read: you don't need to check your computer over the holidays, nothing will be happening). In the interim (read: I am the interim AD, so effectively everything is interim), I'd like to wish everyone happy holidays as well as remind all Penn Staters to support our team and its 23 seniors (read: I had to give you the number, because our QB thinks there are 45 since his lil' scrap the other day) as they compete against the 12-1 Houston Cougars in the TicketCity Bowl in Dallas on January 2nd (read: really, I have to beg you to buy a ticket to go to a game we should have never signed up for in the first place?)."

Reaction Score
I this happened 10 years ago, I would guess Paul Pasquoloni would be high on the list. If it happened last year, Randy Edsall would be high on the list. I can actually see Penn State becoming Indiana for the next 5 years or so.

Reaction Score
nobody wants this job ... but they do want to be the guy who follows the new coach ...

Reaction Score
I'm shaking my head at some of the posts. Edsall would not have been on the top 20 list.

Dan Mullen, Kirk Ferentz, Mark Richt, Chip Kelly, Mike Munchak are the guys they are seriously looking at.

I'd prefer Kyle Whittingham, Chris Petersen, Al Golden, Pat Fitzgerald, but it doesn't look like these guys are on the radar.

Or, they might interview instead old Penn State assistants such as Brian Norwood or Larry Johnson for the job.

Reaction Score
Upstater I'd add Packers qb coach Tom Clements to the seriously looking at list of coaches.

I'm shaking my head at some of the posts. Edsall would not have been on the top 20 list.

Dan Mullen, Kirk Ferentz, Mark Richt, Chip Kelly, Mike Munchak are the guys they are seriously looking at.

I'd prefer Kyle Whittingham, Chris Petersen, Al Golden, Pat Fitzgerald, but it doesn't look like these guys are on the radar.

Or, they might interview instead old Penn State assistants such as Brian Norwood or Larry Johnson for the job.

Reaction Score

Are those guys seriously looking back?

Reaction Score
I'd be surprised to see Chip Kelly leave the goldmine out at Oregon and I think Richt has again solidified himself at Georgia. I could see Ferentz or Mullen maybe as I think they have maxed out at their current jobs. As for some of the other guys you mentioned, for some reason I feel like Petersen will never leave Boise for fear of ending up like Dan Hawkins and Golden just redid his deal at Miami. I have no idea or opinion about any of the other guys mentioned although I do wonder why any established coach would want to head to such a toxic place right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to settle for some "plan C" type of guy until they can possibly erase the stench of the disgusting things that have gone on there.

Reaction Score
Anyone saying Randy was a lock for PSU... there's no way. How many jobs did Randy specifically sniff around for and, as it turns out, was never offered? But he'd be a "lock" for PSU?

Reaction Score
The fact tht Golden extended with Miami speaks volumes about the true candidates PSU will be working with. Golden was long rumored a top candidate for the eventual opening at PSU and he would have given his first born for that opportunity up until this year. He extends his contract with a mediocre Miami team that blind sided him with a scandal months after taking the job and who will be hit with some sort of NCAA penalties. He would have had every right to leave Miami after one year based on what he went through this season which he had no part of or control over and he chose that over PSU. For the next couple yars anyway PSU is not a desired job from a PR standpoint.

Reaction Score
The fact tht Golden extended with Miami speaks volumes about the true candidates PSU will be working with. Golden was long rumored a top candidate for the eventual opening at PSU and he would have given his first born for that opportunity up until this year. He extends his contract with a mediocre Miami team that blind sided him with a scandal months after taking the job and who will be hit with some sort of NCAA penalties. He would have had every right to leave Miami after one year based on what he went through this season which he had no part of or control over and he chose that over PSU. For the next couple yars anyway PSU is not a desired job from a PR standpoint.

We shall see. I bet it's a coach who has had more success than Golden, and is currently much higher profile.

Reaction Score
Anyone saying Randy was a lock for PSU... there's no way. How many jobs did Randy specifically sniff around for and, as it turns out, was never offered? But he'd be a "lock" for PSU?
Not under normal circumstance, no I don't think he'd have been a top candidate. But in the situation that Penn State currently finds inself, needing to A. Clean house; B. Bring in someone with absolutley no ties, hence no potentially embarassing knowledge to come out later, about Sandusky (Can you imagine if next summer some guy says, "yeah, I told Coach Schiano that I saw Sandusky hanging around the locker room with a little kid?" ); C. Have a guy with a squeaky clean image, then yes, Edsall would have been a serious candidate, I think. Not a lock, but someone they would have looked at seriously. Penn State is in a pretty unique and pretty tricky situation right now. There will be people who don't want the hassle, the next coach will have been selected by an iterim AD and an interim President, so he'll have pretty limited backing if he struggles early, he has no idea where the NCAA is coming down on this mess, nor what else might happen in the courtroom that will reflect badly on his program even if it is a "new day." And on top of that, there isn't coing to be a lot of patience with 5-7, 5-7, 6-6 seasons from alumni and fans.

Reaction Score
Not under normal circumstance, no I don't think he'd have been a top candidate. But in the situation that Penn State currently finds inself, needing to A. Clean house; B. Bring in someone with absolutley no ties, hence no potentially embarassing knowledge to come out later, about Sandusky (Can you imagine if next summer some guy says, "yeah, I told Coach Schiano that I saw Sandusky hanging around the locker room with a little kid?" ); C. Have a guy with a squeaky clean image, then yes, Edsall would have been a serious candidate, I think. Not a lock, but someone they would have looked at seriously. Penn State is in a pretty unique and pretty tricky situation right now. There will be people who don't want the hassle, the next coach will have been selected by an iterim AD and an interim President, so he'll have pretty limited backing if he struggles early, he has no idea where the NCAA is coming down on this mess, nor what else might happen in the courtroom that will reflect badly on his program even if it is a "new day." And on top of that, there isn't coing to be a lot of patience with 5-7, 5-7, 6-6 seasons from alumni and fans.

He wouldn't even have been considered. Not for a second.

The NCAA? Really? There is nothing for them to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom