The New WNBA Season- Opening Observations | The Boneyard

The New WNBA Season- Opening Observations

Reaction Score
First, has Maya Moore's Minnesota team lost that critical "step" to age? They lost to LA yesterday in the last second, an LA team that did not have Candice Parker. Was it telling that 25 year-old Odyssey Sims was trash-talking to 36 year-old Lindsey Whalen? Did youth overcome experience last night?

Reaction Score
I calculate that the 14 UConn alumnae who played yesterday average 11 points on the night. They ranked from Breanna Stewart's 22 points to Saniya Chong's zero points in 11 minutes (she did have a rebound and two steals, though). Tina Charles recorded her usual excellent 19 points. But Kia Nurse announced her arrival on the cusp of superstardom with 17 points, 3 assists and two steals. Mariah still isn't with the team, nor is Kiah Stokes. Overall, eight of the fourteen UConn alumnae recorded double-digit scoring nights. Awesome!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just a few random thoughts:

Gabby looked more comfortable in her second game. Once Sloot is back, she and her teammates will find Gabby on her cuts.

Stewie is still the do-it-all star for Seattle. They almost caught Phoenix at the end.

Griner is still a load, and Dee can hit a dagger at any time.

Most teams won’t be able to deal with Cambage. I think only Fowles and Griner can match up.

I don’t know if Minnesota looked old, but they looked sloppy, as 24 turnovers did them in. L.A. had 17 more shots. Maya had a slow start, partly because Alana Beard can defend the hell out of anyone.

I’ll be interested in seeing how good Connecticut and Dallas are. Can L.A. stay focused for the full season? They appear to have the most talent. I think Minnesota will play better, but they need a sense of urgency.

Reaction Score
What has the Lynx gained from Rene Montgomery's departure?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Gabby looked more comfortable in her second game. Once Sloot is back, she and her teammates will find Gabby on her cuts.

Stewie is still the do-it-all star for Seattle. They almost caught Phoenix at the end.

Most teams won’t be able to deal with Cambage. I think only Fowles and Griner can match up.

I don’t know if Minnesota looked old, but they looked sloppy, as 24 turnovers did them in. L.A. had 17 more shots. Maya had a slow start, partly because Alana Beard can defend the hell out of anyone.

I’ll be interested in seeing how good Connecticut and Dallas are. Can L.A. stay focused for the full season? They appear to have the most talent. I think Minnesota will play better, but they need a sense of urgency.

Minnesota's guards struggled last year with LA's defensive pressure. Whalen and Augustus struggled handling the ball in last year's championship series and yesterday's game was more of the same. Danielle Robinson should help as a ball handler but she doesn't have to be guarded on the perimeter. If Sylvia comes close to repeating the season she had last year then the Lynx should be there at the end. LA was overall a better team last year but couldn't close it out.

The question for Cambage is can she play well in the second half of games, particularly down the stretch against the likes of Griner and Sylvia and Tina.

Griner looked unstoppable last night yet somehow the Storm managed to be in the game at the end. Hughes is a good coach and will eventually get the most out of that limited roster.

With Sloot, Dolson and Gabby the Sky have 3 players with incredible court vision and passing ability. Are there enough finishers? No.

Nurse looked like a nasty piece of business yesterday. She's going to be one of those players who will be hated by fans of the other WNBA teams.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
First, has Maya Moore's Minnesota team lost that critical "step" to age? They lost to LA yesterday in the last second, an LA team that did not have Candice Parker. Was it telling that 25 year-old Odyssey Sims was trash-talking to 36 year-old Lindsey Whalen? Did youth overcome experience last night?

On a play where the girl traveled to a laughable degree.

That was NBA bad.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Minnesota's guards struggled last year with LA's defensive pressure. Whalen and Augustus struggled handling the ball in last year's championship series and yesterday's game was more of the same. Danielle Robinson should help as a ball handler but she doesn't have to be guarded on the perimeter. If Sylvia comes close to repeating the season she had last year then the Lynx should be there at the end. LA was overall a better team last year but couldn't close it out.

The question for Cambage is can she play well in the second half of games, particularly down the stretch against the likes of Griner and Sylvia and Tina.

Griner looked unstoppable last night yet somehow the Storm managed to be in the game at the end. Hughes is a good coach and will eventually get the most out of that limited roster.

With Sloot, Dolson and Gabby the Sky have 3 players with incredible court vision and passing ability. Are there enough finishers? No.

Nurse looked like a nasty piece of business yesterday. She's going to be one of those players who will be hated by fans of the other WNBA teams.
Nice and all true. Hughes though is going to have to work hard to get the most out of some of his charges. Loyd just has to do more with her time, and Langhorne doesn't appear to be the answer. Can't wait until Sloot hits the floor. Great team speed on that Sky team. I also like to add that Kia will also be one of those players that is appreciated by players around the league. They'll all hate to play against her, but will lobby to get her on their team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nice and all true. Hughes though is going to have to work hard to get the most out of some of his charges. Loyd just has to do more with her time, and Langhorne doesn't appear to be the answer.

Loyd's shot selection in the first half of last night's game was inexplicably bad.

At one point in last night's game Langhorne had a wide open 12-footer along the baseline so of course she rejected that shot and drove to the basket and was called for a charge. All the credit to her for having a nice career but, no, she's not the answer.

Reaction Score
Nice and all true. Hughes though is going to have to work hard to get the most out of some of his charges. Loyd just has to do more with her time, and Langhorne doesn't appear to be the answer. Can't wait until Sloot hits the floor. Great team speed on that Sky team. I also like to add that Kia will also be one of those players that is appreciated by players around the league. They'll all hate to play against her, but will lobby to get her on their team.
Canada is going to be a nice player, but Seattle needed someone to help Stewie, Stevens would have been a better choice. You can't have someone be the leading scorer, rebounder, pass, block shots, play help defense, and play the most minutes on the team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Canada is going to be a nice player, but Seattle needed someone to help Stewie, Stevens would have been a better choice. You can't have someone be the leading scorer, rebounder, pass, block shots, play help defense, and play the most minutes on the team.

Canada was the best choice for Seattle given where they drafted. Bird is the oldest player in the league and Canada should be an excellent replacement. Love Azura but she's not going to help Seattle and Stewart where they need help: in the lane. Seattle needs a big post player who can defend, rebound and score some in the lane. That's not Stevens.

Reaction Score
She was impressive in her first two games. I thought she won the individual match up against Griner on both ends of the court on Friday. Phoenix had to bring a double to slow her down in the second half, and Cambage's passing has improved greatly since the last time I saw her play.

Reaction Score

When it comes to matching up against Cambage, don't forget the great Tina Charles. She matches up against anyone.

Reaction Score
CT looked awesome after one game. I particularly liked all the rebounds and assists. And every single player on CT scored.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Nurse looked like a nasty piece of business yesterday. She's going to be one of those players who will be hated by fans of the other WNBA teams. (
UConnCat)

Agree and super like.
She understands that this can be a tough business...not a finesse game.

Reaction Score
Canada was the best choice for Seattle given where they drafted. Bird is the oldest player in the league and Canada should be an excellent replacement. Love Azura but she's not going to help Seattle and Stewart where they need help: in the lane. Seattle needs a big post player who can defend, rebound and score some in the lane. That's not Stevens.

Both McCowen and Brown will be in the draft next year and either should compliment Stewie very well.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree. Depending on the Storms draft pick number and if they are available, Brown could be too slow for the Storms offense and clog the lane and McGowan won't be guarded away from the basket so her defender will be sagging in the lane.

Reaction Score
Both McCowen and Brown will be in the draft next year and either should compliment Stewie very well.

They would...but unfortunately there's a strong chance Seattle will end up swapping picks with Minnesota as a part of the Natasha Howard trade.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've been on the record saying Nurse is pro-ready. I was feeling mighty smug during yesterday's game.

I'll still be watching and rooting for Saniya and the Wings (including Azura); wife wants us to be watching and rooting for Gabby and the Sky (despite Diamond); now I'm thinking I'll be wanting to follow Kia. I'm gonna gain a lot of weight watching the W this summer.

Reaction Score
I've been on the record saying Nurse is pro-ready. I was feeling mighty smug during yesterday's game.

I'll still be watching and rooting for Saniya and the Wings (including Azura); wife wants us to be watching and rooting for Gabby and the Sky (despite Diamond); now I'm thinking I'll be wanting to follow Kia. I'm gonna gain a lot of weight watching the W this summer.
I'll be watching them all.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In Kia Nurse’s freshman season, we all marveled at her maturity and composure. She played more like a junior than a freshman. Now, she has done it again! Actually, she has more Olympic experience than 80-90% of the league. Kia comes from a family of athletes and has loads of confidence. Her defensive intensity will annoy the crap out of many opposing players. I’m going to enjoy watching it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom