The new Geno | The Boneyard

The new Geno

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what happened to the Huskies head coach? I can't find this guy anywhere, only the person who sort of looks like him taking all the questions from reporters.
This guy is calm, this guy answers a question without running his fingers through his hair, clearing his throat, fixing his glasses, taking a sip of water, or squinting before he does. This guy gives compliments to his players, this guy cracks jokes, this guy seems to really like his job.
Is this the new Geno? LOL.
I think Geno really loves to coach again, and I think it started with the Bueckers class. Although he says Paige annoys him, her demeaner seems to really make him laugh at some things that never did before. I also honestly believe that having her not playing, being on the sidelines with him during practice is helping him understand some of the nuances of some of the players. He is getting a point of view from a player who isn't a player now, but I believe he knows that she knows what she is doing and having her there constantly in his ear is actually helpful to him. I kind of like this guy, and the less stress he has means the longer he can stick around. If this is really Geno, God bless him.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very early during summer session, he mentioned how much he really likes this team. Why? They listen. You would think this is true every year but it seems it is not. Talent and competitiveness are great qualities but if your players don't listen well or think they are smarter than the coach, I could see how draining that could be. I am sure Paige is a great resource to communicate with the team outside the lines but we have alot of maturity on the court as well. Even the freshman seem to have the right temperament. I know he loves Ayanna who does everything his way and really appreciated the versatility and high BB IQ of Ice.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think as we age, we all have a tendency to mellow out. Certain things that set you off before don't seem to be important anymore.

As to the team, Bald Huskie is right. He is enjoying this team a lot. By the looks of things, this team absolutely enjoys playing for Geno. I think Geno is also enjoying the underdog role that UConn is in. Instead of being the hunted, having the bullseye on their backs, this team is the huntress. It seems the team is really enjoying being the huntress.

Reaction Score
I think he really likes this class as a group and as individuals. The fact that they are teachable and want to learn must be a real shot in the arm for him (as deep down in his heart, I think Geno feels he is as much a teacher as he is a coach reflected by his desire to get the most out of his players' potential more so than just winning games).

As an aside (but still pertinent to the discussion I think) a former Baltimore Ravens coach said that part of the reason it is so hard to repeat as super bowl champion is that in many cases once a team wins "the big prize" a number of the players don't feel like they need coaching anymore and it's difficult to recapture the "magic" of the previous year.

Reaction Score
Very early during summer session, he mentioned how much he really likes this team. Why? They listen. You would think this is true every year but it seems it is not. Talent and competitiveness are great qualities but if your players don't listen well or think they are smarter than the coach, I could see how draining that could be. I am sure Paige is a great resource to communicate with the team outside the lines but we have alot of maturity on the court as well. Even the freshman seem to have the right temperament. I know he loves Ayanna who does everything his way and really appreciated the versatility and high BB IQ of Ice.
If he likes this year's team just wait till next year........

Reaction Score
I suspect the recruiting class three years ago really pleased him, and it seems to do so more and more as time passes:
Paige
Aaliyah
Nika

The next couple 'classes' (because of transfers) have been fortunate to bask in the afterglow of his feelings about that first one:
Azzi
Caroline
Dorka

Ice
Ayanna
Inês
Lou

And the one after these, too:
KK
Ashlynn
Q
Jana

It almost feels like he's writing a new legacy for himself in these classes.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good post eebmg. Anyone that has ever coached youth sports knows that some times (many times) those little darlings DON'T LISTEN.
There's something magical about the sidelines/foul lines. When they step over it, their minds and memories go completely blank, and they forget everything you just told them. :confused: It appears that coaches at the college are still having that problem.

I remember Sue Bird "EMPHATICALLY" reminding her then Seattle Storm teammate Lauren Jackson as they were taking the floor after a timeout to run the play that was called. Jackson may not have ben listening, or had a history of going "rogue" on the floor and do her own individual thing.

Reaction Score
it's November, I doubt we will be seeing him calm in March. Last season proved seeding doesn't matter for Uconn and now that you have only 2 sites for the elite 8 games it matters even less.

Reaction Score

And Geno listens to them.... He has quoted Nika a couple of times recently such as (paraphrased) "When you score, one person is happy, when you make an assist, two people are happy, the one who made the shot and the one who made the pass"

Reaction Score
After the NC loss, he was obviously in pain, in sympathy with the players. He said “This really hurts” at one point. It was a new feeling for him, of course. But I suspect it was also part of the new Geno. The comical sarcasm he used to aim at his team during halftime interviews was also gone. He praised them often in these moments. I think this is yet another expression of his affection for them.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno has been mellowing for several years. In 2017-18 Geno had one of his toughest years as a HC, with a freshman class that he struggled with publicly and privately. Three of four freshmen were gone by the end of their sophomore season and Megan Walker left after her junior season.

From that difficult 2017-18 season on, there has been a pronounced change in the way Geno deals with his players. He is calmer and far more supportive in public of all his players. Players are different today than they were 30 years ago, and so is Geno.

Reaction Score
I think as we age, we all have a tendency to mellow out. Certain things that set you off before don't seem to be important anymore.

As to the team, Bald Husky is right. He is enjoying this team a lot. By the looks of things, this team absolutely enjoys playing for Geno. I think Geno is also enjoying the underdog role that UConn is in. Instead of being the hunted, having the bullseye on their backs, this team is the huntress. It seems the team is really enjoying being the huntress.
I agree with most of your post, but I believe that the bullseye is still on the Huskies' back, likely for the foreseeable future. Playing UConn is every team's Superbowl. They get everyone's best shot and for good reason. UConn has set the standard for NCAA women's basketball excellence. UConn has the best coaching staff, best recruiting, most lovable and talented players, and a fan base which is second to none. It is great to be a fan of the greatest team on the planet!

Reaction Score
They get everyone's best shot and for good reason.
Yup, and after these first few games, they're going to get everyone's best shot even more. These were statement games. The mistakes we made, they're correctable, which means there's plenty of growth for this already excellent team. Here's what opposition coaches are thinking: "How good will they be by the time we meet them?" Yikes!

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what happened to the Huskies head coach? I can't find this guy anywhere, only the person who sort of looks like him taking all the questions from reporters.
This guy is calm, this guy answers a question without running his fingers through his hair, clearing his throat, fixing his glasses, taking a sip of water, or squinting before he does. This guy gives compliments to his players, this guy cracks jokes, this guy seems to really like his job.
Is this the new Geno? LOL.
I think Geno really loves to coach again, and I think it started with the Bueckers class. Although he says Paige annoys him, her demeaner seems to really make him laugh at some things that never did before. I also honestly believe that having her not playing, being on the sidelines with him during practice is helping him understand some of the nuances of some of the players. He is getting a point of view from a player who isn't a player now, but I believe he knows that she knows what she is doing and having her there constantly in his ear is actually helpful to him. I kind of like this guy, and the less stress he has means the longer he can stick around. If this is really Geno, God bless him.
I love both Geno’s.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Twenty years apart

1669343470975.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads