The New Geno Show | The Boneyard

The New Geno Show

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I thought this show was the best of the year. Maybe feeling the heat from HBO, but their on court cinematic value was great and the 1 on 1 with Geno was also spot on. The politics nonsense I could have skipped as it looked like an excuse to make a statement without claiming to make one; but the rest was super. Geno flat out says he has 3 All Americans and it does not take a championship to make this a great year with a great group - heartfelt - well done and super.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I also thought that this was an excellent job by Justine. I'm sure the topics were pre-planned, but I didn't think that her responses were "scripted", as some have suggested. I thought that her interaction with Geno was genuine and spontaneous, probably similar to the way she would react to a favorite uncle.

And for the most part, I thought that Geno enjoyed the interview.

Reaction Score
I also thought that this was an excellent job by Justine. I'm sure the topics were pre-planned, but I didn't think that her responses were "scripted", as some have suggested. I thought that her interaction with Geno was genuine and spontaneous, probably similar to the way she would react to a favorite uncle.

And for the most part, I thought that Geno enjoyed the interview.

I could not agree more. This was Justines best work. Clearly she's very comfortable with Geno now.

I hope she's back next year

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Justine is learning what Kerith said last season--this is the best sideline gig in America.

Very true. You could see the realization and effort kick in as the season progressed. then. of course, the Geno charm and allure of powerful men ... I'll stop here.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any idea what the donation jar on Geno's desk is for?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Does anyone have any idea what the donation jar on Geno's desk is for?
I remember a long time ago, a story about some 'banned' word or phrase with the coaches, and they all had to kick in if they used it. Lots of teams do things like that trying to get away from sloppy thinking or mental short cuts.

Reaction Score
Is it just me or was the Geno show better than the HBO show this week?

I can't put my finger on why but I found the Geno show much more enjoyable. Although I did get a few cooking tips!!

Reaction Score
Is it just me or was the Geno show better than the HBO show this week?

I can't put my finger on why but I found the Geno show much more enjoyable. Although I did get a few cooking tips!!
Because you like that ND spy Justine Ward? If we lose to ND in the title game, it's because they've had a spy embedded for the entire season giving away state secrets.

Reaction Score
Because you like that ND spy Justine Ward? If we lose to ND in the title game, it's because they've had a spy embedded for the entire season giving away state secrets.
It's hard to believe there are many secrets out side of superior talent and superior coaching staff etc. I mean they show our practices on tv ha. Not everyone from ND is bad!!?? You not like Rudy ha??!!?

Reaction Score
Sorry, I know I'm in a minority here and don't intend this to sound mean-spirited (although I understand that it will likely sound that way) but I think the Geno Show has lost its edge. Obviously, we differ on this, but I think she asks him a series of softball, emotional questions "Geno, how will you feel if...?" and I never learn anything substantive about basketball. I do think at the very beginning of the season Geno was mildly annoyed (or maybe it was just me), but actually this is now squarely in his comfort zone as he clearly begins to tense up before the Big Dance. He doesn't want to talk basketball but rather about these socialized basketball issues (where Geno is no less gifted).

Being a Norristownian, I really dug the HBO episode, though I missed coverage of Lou's on Main Street, which ESPN provided a couple of years ago. I'm still wearing those steak sandwiches and hoggies from 50 years ago....And one thing I learned from the HBO series is that Kathy Auriemma calls her husband "Gee". Sort of like Christopher calling his Uncle Tony Soprano "T". Makes sense, 'cause Geno is the Godfather of Basketball Coaches.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I know I'm in a minority here and don't intend this to sound mean-spirited (although I understand that it will likely sound that way) but I think the Geno Show has lost its edge. Obviously, we differ on this, but I think she asks him a series of softball, emotional questions "Geno, how will you feel if...?" and I never learn anything substantive about basketball. I do think at the very beginning of the season Geno was mildly annoyed (or maybe it was just me), but actually this is now squarely in his comfort zone as he clearly begins to tense up before the Big Dance. He doesn't want to talk basketball but rather about these socialized basketball issues (where Geno is no less gifted).
It's funny you mentioned this because I felt the same way but couldn't put my finger on it. I liked Kerith better. Maybe I'll warm up to Justine next season, who knows, but right now she seems to lack the passion or interest in UConn, and it feels a lot like she's just biding her time for something bigger and better (not that they all aren't).

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Being a Norristownian, I really dug the HBO episode, though I missed coverage of Lou's on Main Street, which ESPN provided a couple of years ago. I'm still wearing those steak sandwiches and hoggies from 50 years ago....And one thing I learned from the HBO series is that Kathy Auriemma calls her husband "Gee". Sort of like Christopher calling his Uncle Tony Soprano "T". Makes sense, 'cause Geno is the Godfather of Basketball Coaches.

And his opponents sleep with the fishes, at least the last 107 of them.

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe there are many secrets out side of superior talent and superior coaching staff etc. I mean they show our practices on tv ha. Not everyone from ND is bad!!?? You not like Rudy ha??!!?
S0 with Justine and Chloe we have spies from ND and Maryland - guess we should recruit some from Baylor and South Carolina too, just to keep things fair?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
S0 with Justine and Chloe we have spies from ND and Maryland - guess we should recruit some from Baylor and South Carolina too, just to keep things fair?
Spies! - I thought we had hired folks with inside information!

Reaction Score
I thought this show was the best of the year. Maybe feeling the heat from HBO, but their on court cinematic value was great and the 1 on 1 with Geno was also spot on. The politics nonsense I could have skipped as it looked like an excuse to make a statement without claiming to make one; but the rest was super. Geno flat out says he has 3 All Americans and it does not take a championship to make this a great year with a great group - heartfelt - well done and super.
Couldn't agree more! Geno is the man. I think I would feel exactly like him that if somehow they get beat in the latter part of the tournament to a good team playing exceptionally I'd still consider this a great ride. However, if they really played horrifically and made bone headed plays, throwing bad passes and turning over the ball frequently, that would take a lot of the luster of the season away. I personally think that will almost certainly not happen, meaning playing badly. Foul troubles or injuries could stymie them but I think their mental toughness and playing well under fire, will insure they compete at a high level, win or lose!

Reaction Score
It's funny you mentioned this because I felt the same way but couldn't put my finger on it. I liked Kerith better. Maybe I'll warm up to Justine next season, who knows, but right now she seems to lack the passion or interest in UConn, and it feels a lot like she's just biding her time for something bigger and better (not that they all aren't).
I really didn't like Justine at all initially but I've gotten acclimated to her a bit lately. I do wish Kerith were still around but regardless of whoever may be questioning him, I can't ever get enough of Geno! I enjoyed hearing how he had expected that Katy Lou and Napheesa would inevitably be All-American type players but noting his surprise they blossomed as early as they did. I was also caught up with the fact that he didn't seem to have the same expectation of Gabby and how her performance this year has amazed him. I have to feel that the three of them loved hearing that he wouldn't trade them for any three players in the country and I know we, here, on the Boneyard agree totally. It still must be nice knowing that this man who pushes them continually and probably sometimes seems to berate them, acknowledges how good they are and their value to him and to the success of this team. Who wouldn't want to hear that from their "proud Papa".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

This country was built on ambition. It's her job; she doesn't have to be an acolyte to do it well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

There are no secrets worth stealing from those two programs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom