The new conference | The Boneyard

The new conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
like it or not UConn will be involved in the creation of a brand new Division 1 all sports conference. Now some will say that's unfavorable and others will say it's only temporary. I say with something new you have the chance to create better than what was there before. That of course starts with the name. You can go two ways with the naming. Outside of the box or norm, something completely different in it's approach. Every other conference has just that in it's name...'Conference". How about League, or Federation or Alliance? AAI(Alliance of Academic Institutions, Alliance of Athletic Institutions). The other way is to determine what your main competition is and strive to do one better. For this league the ACC would and should be identified as the main competition for the time being(until they collapse just like the Big East). How do you one up them or compete directly name wise? Call yourself the AAC(Alliance of Athletic Colleges or American Athletic Conference). Why would you do that? Simple. You look at any list of division 1 conferences and they are more than likely listed in alphabetical order. The ACC usually heads the list. One up them by having the name of your new league FIRST on the list, not buried in the middle somewhere. By heading the list you subliminally legitimize your league as equals. You need to spark interest, a buzz if you will. That's one quiet, subtle way of saying you belong at the table just as much as anyone.

Another thing a new conference like this could do to show that it's different, cutting edge, outside of the box would be to hold it's men's and women's basketball tournaments simultaneously in the same venue to coincide with the conferences yearly meeting/get together. Lets face it, this league will need to do anything it can to generate a buzz about it's basketball. Having higher attendance than most of the established conferences and making sure everyone knows it(especially the networks) is key. The conference is going to be strapped for cash so I say hold the tournaments together and A: maximize attendance, B: structure the tourney in a new way by staggering the days athletes have to compete(giving them a rest, saving their legs). No more 5 games in 5 days nonsense. Here is how I would do it:
  • Monday: Afternoon session- Women's 12th vs 5 seed Men's 12th vs 5 seed
  • Evening session- Women's 9th vs 8th seed Men's 9th vs 8th seed
  • Tuesday: Afternoon session- Women's 11th vs 6th seed Men's 11th vs 6th seed
  • Evening session- Women's 10th vs 7th seed Men's 10th vs 7th seed
  • Wednesday Afternoon session- Women's 4th vs 9/8 winner Men's 4th vs 9/8 winner
  • Evening session- Women's 1st vs 12/5 winner Men's 1st vs 12/5 winner
  • Thursday Afternoon session-Women's 2nd vs 11/6 winner Women's 3 vs 10/7 winner
  • Evening session- Men's 2nd vs 11/6 winner Men's 3rd vs 10/7 winner
  • Friday Afternoon session- Women's semi-final Women's semi-final
  • Evening Session- Men's semi-final Men's semi-final
  • Saturday evening/late afternoon- Women's championship
  • 1 hour from end of women's championship presentation- Men's championship
It's different than how anyone else runs it and it could be a cost saver. That's my 2 cents so go ahead lets hear your ideas for the new conference. Please be constructive, we've had enough negativity already.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well 5 games in 5 days was because there were 16 teams. The MAAC runs their men's and women's tourneys concurrently so it's not exactly new ground.

Reaction Score
You can name it what you want. You can structure the tournament the way you want. It seems to me the only one being fooled in all of this is you. This conference is a disaster anyway you look at it and the longer UConn stays affiliated the more likely it is that the best thing about our future will be reminiscing about our past.

Reaction Score
Well 5 games in 5 days was because there were 16 teams. The MAAC runs their men's and women's tourneys concurrently so it's not exactly new ground.
As long as my mother and her man friend don't have to pay extra to see the men play, that will work fine. The BE women's tournament only works well because of Uconn and because it is in Hartford. When you combine it with the men, the prices will go up and a bunch of the old men and lady women loyalists will get further alienated and shut out because the men's tournament is the real draw. It might be best for the new conference, but it is not best for the women's BB fans in this state.

pj

Reaction Score
ABC (Alliance of Big Colleges). You don't even have to know four letters to know your conference!

The ACC will be kicking themselves. They beat us by just one letter!

Reaction Score
You can name it what you want. You can structure the tournament the way you want. It seems to me the only one being fooled in all of this is you. This conference is a disaster anyway you look at it and the longer UConn stays affiliated the more likely it is that the best thing about our future will be reminiscing about our past.
Am I being fooled by the fact that the ACC DOES NOT WANT UCONN IN IT? Am I being fooled by the fact the B1G would rather have RUTGERS & MARYLAND than they would UConn? The Big East was great but that well was poisoned along time ago when the Catholics poo-pooed D-1 football. Now we're in a new situation with like minded schools whether you like it or not. That's the reality so I suggest if your given an acre instead of a plantation you make that the best acre around.

Reaction Score
like it or not UConn will be involved in the creation of a brand new Division 1 all sports conference. Now some will say that's unfavorable and others will say it's only temporary. I say with something new you have the chance to create better than what was there before. That of course starts with the name. You can go two ways with the naming. Outside of the box or norm, something completely different in it's approach. Every other conference has just that in it's name...'Conference". How about League, or Federation or Alliance? AAI(Alliance of Academic Institutions, Alliance of Athletic Institutions). The other way is to determine what your main competition is and strive to do one better. For this league the ACC would and should be identified as the main competition for the time being(until they collapse just like the Big East). How do you one up them or compete directly name wise? Call yourself the AAC(Alliance of Athletic Colleges or American Athletic Conference). Why would you do that? Simple. You look at any list of division 1 conferences and they are more than likely listed in alphabetical order. The ACC usually heads the list. One up them by having the name of your new league FIRST on the list, not buried in the middle somewhere. By heading the list you subliminally legitimize your league as equals. You need to spark interest, a buzz if you will. That's one quiet, subtle way of saying you belong at the table just as much as anyone.

Another thing a new conference like this could do to show that it's different, cutting edge, outside of the box would be to hold it's men's and women's basketball tournaments simultaneously in the same venue to coincide with the conferences yearly meeting/get together. Lets face it, this league will need to do anything it can to generate a buzz about it's basketball. Having higher attendance than most of the established conferences and making sure everyone knows it(especially the networks) is key. The conference is going to be strapped for cash so I say hold the tournaments together and A: maximize attendance, B: structure the tourney in a new way by staggering the days athletes have to compete(giving them a rest, saving their legs). No more 5 games in 5 days nonsense. Here is how I would do it:
  • Wednesday Afternoon session- Women's 4th vs 9/8 winner Men's 4th vs 9/8 winner
  • Thursday Afternoon session-Women's 2nd vs 11/6 winner Women's 3 vs 10/7 winner
It's different than how anyone else runs it and it could be a cost saver. That's my 2 cents so go ahead lets hear your ideas for the new conference. Please be constructive, we've had enough negativity already.

The negativity in the replies to this post amazes me. Very good ideas. Frankly, the only thing I really hate about this conference is the involvement of a few very small sports names (ECU, Tulane).
Even then, I realize ECU is a good football school with a great fan base. I just hate having to play basketball with them. Tulane is terrible, but I'll catch a game there sometime just because of the locale and it dresses up the conference a little bit academically.

I consider UCF, SMU and Houston very exciting additions. I believe all three will be very good and do big things in the next 5 years. Houston has great recruiting territory and some good sports tradition. SMU has the same and lots of cash and UCF is wildly popular among young people in Florida. Orlando is a great year year round metro area now days.

This situation sucks but I am ready to embrace it. This is much better than the MAC and we've seen that schools in similar level conferences (Mountain West) can compete nationally. It really comes down to filling the arenas and winning games. Boise fans have no issue making noise while watching one curb stomping after another. If we can win this football conference, I'll be thrilled.

Also, while UConn and Cincy fans may be bored by the basketball slate, fans of these other schools will be thrilled to see UConn and Cincy come to town. This may create a great road game atmosphere. It is up to our fans to make sure we give our guys the same home court boost.

Reaction Score
P.S. I want out too, but I have come to grips with the current situation. We can't make anything happen. We need to make the best of it and not contribute to the destruction of the program by being negative. Louisville is a perfect example of how far commitment and fan support can get you. We are doomed if we don't start getting back to being fans rather than critics. I am guilty as anyone.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
A few conferences currently run their conference tournaments that way, fwiw.

Reaction Score
As long as my mother and her man friend don't have to pay extra to see the men play, that will work fine. The BE women's tournament only works well because of Uconn and because it is in Hartford. When you combine it with the men, the prices will go up and a bunch of the old men and lady women loyalists will get further alienated and shut out because the men's tournament is the real draw. It might be best for the new conference, but it is not best for the women's BB fans in this state.

So the conference isn't going to do something because the fans of UConn women's basketball have to pay more? Please. the only thing that will settle anything is getting out of this wretched mess.

Reaction Score
Am I being fooled by the fact that the ACC DOES NOT WANT UCONN IN IT? Am I being fooled by the fact the B1G would rather have RUTGERS & MARYLAND than they would UConn? The Big East was great but that well was poisoned along time ago when the Catholics poo-pooed D-1 football. Now we're in a new situation with like minded schools whether you like it or not. That's the reality so I suggest if your given an acre instead of a plantation you make that the best acre around.

I don't believe Tulane and UConn are 'like-minded schools.'

Reaction Score
So the conference isn't going to do something because the fans of UConn women's basketball have to pay more? Please. the only thing that will settle anything is getting out of this wretched mess.
And go where? You guys are so against this new conference idea but I'm still trying to figure out just where it is you think your headed that's any better. Iowa St or Kansas will end up in the B1G before we will. The ACC would invite Cincy before they would invite a school that tried to sue them and none of the women's basketball coaches want to get stomped on by Geno & Co on a yearly basis.
So I repeat... go where?

Reaction Score
And go where? You guys are so against this new conference idea but I'm still trying to figure out just where it is you think your headed that's any better. Iowa St or Kansas will end up in the B1G before we will. The ACC would invite Cincy before they would invite a school that tried to sue them and none of the women's basketball coaches want to get stomped on by Geno & Co on a yearly basis.
So I repeat... go where?
This isn't a new conference. This is a left over conference, that's why there is no excitement. These teams have been passed over or isn't good enough for the top conferences period. Yes, these teams must wait for more CR until then their stuck in the twilight zone. Beat nationally known teams like Michigan, Tennessee, than get some respect nationally. Only way to compete with the big boys is Win. Started with ND, South Carolina, now it's Michigan at the Rent. Turn some heads Uconn, time is now...

Reaction Score
I am sorry but we are talking about big time college athletics. I simply cannot buy this "lets make the best of a bad situation" attitude. It does not fly. Its a game of the haves vs the have nots and UConn currently resides on the wrong side. The gap between the two will only widen as time goes on and the longer that UConn sits on the wrong side, the more difficult and highly unlikely it will be that UConn competes on a national level..... IN ANY SPORT!!!!!! Seeing what UConn has achieved over the past 25 years in a multiple of programs, both men and women, there is no way we can turn back from our successes and make the best of where we stand now.

Reaction Score
I think one way to beat the system would be to go a little renegade. In 2016 partial qualifiers are going to kind of be a thing again. Our misfit toy conference should start stocking up on the untouchable big time recruits.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No matter what happens, over the next couple of years its more important than ever that everyone who cares about college atheltics and the future of Uconn does what it can to support the team. That means attending as many live events as possible, sporting your colors and donating what you can. While we're entitled to whine and bitch in this forum, its imperative we smile and cheer for our team in public. Attending one Uconn sporting event is probably more valuable than 10,000 posts in this forum. Cheering faces and warm bodies in the stands are what counts.

HFD, you better buy a season ticket package now.

Reaction Score
its more important than ever that everyone who cares about the future of Uconn does what it can to support the team. That means attending as many live events as possible. Cheering faces and warm bodies in the stands are what counts

You get it Exit4. Here's what I sent to WM a few days ago.

Hi Warde,

Love the BYU announcement. And it looks like we’ll be getting a healthier share of Big East money than many had predicted. Congrats and keep it coming! I know you’ve been extremely busy on a myriad of thorny issues facing UConn athletics, and I’ve raised some issues with you recently that might be termed de minimis by some (not me, lol). So in that spirit, here’s another.

Essentially, the only thing we fans can control is showing up and cheering loudly. Sadly, in recent years, we haven't done so well.

Consider the following: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/98496197/Kickoff v NC St.png

That's the TV image viewers in North Carolina and the ACC saw at kickoff of last season’s marquise home game vs NC St. Images like this create negative impressions and make it easier for those who don't favor our interests to label our football program (fairly or unfairly) as not ready for prime time and our fans as indifferent and apathetic. Would the visual image have looked any different if our team had previously been winning in an exciting fashion? Perhaps. But we can’t wait to test that theory. Changes need to happen now, despite our record. This is in many ways a job interview. We’re "interviewing" with conference commissioners, TV networks, the media, and the public. Any decision maker or opinion crafter tuning in that afternoon would have concluded that we came to the interview with unpolished shoes and unbuttoned shirts. In short, we haven't been making a very good impression.

Look at these 10 second videos. The first is from the Rent during the aforementioned UConn vs NC St game and the second is from NC St a few weeks later vs Va Tech. They were both taken at the end of pre-game activities, just before kickoff. Keep your eye on the stands.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/987504

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/987488

Notice anything different? This is about demonstrating passion for and interest in a football program. Let's remember that NC State is not Michigan or Alabama, far from it. In fact, many would label them a basketball school (as we get labeled) and yet they somehow managed to show up early in their seats.

Diminished fan enthusiasm leading to less than full venues is certainly not news to you. The question is how to address and solve the problem squarely and quickly. While we may lack the depth of football culture that seems to permeate the lives of folks in other areas, this should be a correctible situation given the right creative approach.

What would it be worth to have the Rent full and rocking at kickoff? Setting aside the issue of how the economy affects early attendance, if possible factors to improve it are lengthening tailgating hours, loud warning signals, early arrival incentives, stadium beer pricing before kickoff, etc., we need to get incrementally better at getting fans in their seats earlier.

While the last thing you need are inmates running the asylum (lol) I’ve spoken to several fans out there who actually have expressed some surprisingly rational ideas. My experience in business is that whenever you encourage participation of the troops to help solve a sticky problem, it gives them some skin in the game and helps them support whatever path is ultimately chosen. Do you have any thoughts on encouraging that type of approach to improve our game-day image?

All the best,

Reaction Score
You get it Exit4. Here's what I sent to WM a few days ago.

Hi Warde,

Love the BYU announcement. And it looks like we’ll be getting a healthier share of Big East money than many had predicted. Congrats and keep it coming! I know you’ve been extremely busy on a myriad of thorny issues facing UConn athletics, and I’ve raised some issues with you recently that might be termed de minimis by some (not me, lol). So in that spirit, here’s another.

Essentially, the only thing we fans can control is showing up and cheering loudly. Sadly, in recent years, we haven't done so well.

Consider the following: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/98496197/Kickoff v NC St.png

That's the TV image viewers in North Carolina and the ACC saw at kickoff of last season’s marquise home game vs NC St. Images like this create negative impressions and make it easier for those who don't favor our interests to label our football program (fairly or unfairly) as not ready for prime time and our fans as indifferent and apathetic. Would the visual image have looked any different if our team had previously been winning in an exciting fashion? Perhaps. But we can’t wait to test that theory. Changes need to happen now, despite our record. This is in many ways a job interview. We’re "interviewing" with conference commissioners, TV networks, the media, and the public. Any decision maker or opinion crafter tuning in that afternoon would have concluded that we came to the interview with unpolished shoes and unbuttoned shirts. In short, we haven't been making a very good impression.

Look at these 10 second videos. The first is from the Rent during the aforementioned UConn vs NC St game and the second is from NC St a few weeks later vs Va Tech. They were both taken at the end of pre-game activities, just before kickoff. Keep your eye on the stands.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/987504

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/987488

Notice anything different? This is about demonstrating passion for and interest in a football program. Let's remember that NC State is not Michigan or Alabama, far from it. In fact, many would label them a basketball school (as we get labeled) and yet they somehow managed to show up early in their seats.

Diminished fan enthusiasm leading to less than full venues is certainly not news to you. The question is how to address and solve the problem squarely and quickly. While we may lack the depth of football culture that seems to permeate the lives of folks in other areas, this should be a correctible situation given the right creative approach.

What would it be worth to have the Rent full and rocking at kickoff? Setting aside the issue of how the economy affects early attendance, if possible factors to improve it are lengthening tailgating hours, loud warning signals, early arrival incentives, stadium beer pricing before kickoff, etc., we need to get incrementally better at getting fans in their seats earlier.

While the last thing you need are inmates running the asylum (lol) I’ve spoken to several fans out there who actually have expressed some surprisingly rational ideas. My experience in business is that whenever you encourage participation of the troops to help solve a sticky problem, it gives them some skin in the game and helps them support whatever path is ultimately chosen. Do you have any thoughts on encouraging that type of approach to improve our game-day image?

All the best,

Any response from WM Nos?

I posted my plan here a few weeks ago (see link below). Feel free to send this to him as well. Like my boss says "don't tell me what the problem is, tell me what the solution is".
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/my-uconn-marketing-plan.32381/

Reaction Score
Nostical, that was really well done. I'd also like to see them give unsold tickets 2 inner city middle schools and help the schools bus deserving students in. Need to get creative as you say.

Reaction Score
Warde needs to barnstorm the state and conduct a series of town hall meetings with fans. There are a ton of good ideas out there. Stop monitoring, start interacting.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Why would you mix games people care about with games hardly anyone cares about????

News flash. WBB isn't important outside of CT. And its not that important here except a few seniors.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ABC (Alliance of Big Colleges). You don't even have to know four letters to know your conference!

The ACC will be kicking themselves. They beat us by just one letter!
I like this better than my idea: Academic Institutions Group. AIG, we're too big to fail.

Reaction Score
Why would you mix games people care about with games hardly anyone cares about????

News flash. WBB isn't important outside of CT. And its not that important here except a few seniors.

Totally agree. I personally wouldn't want to go watch the women.

I can't stand that UCONN now combines Men's and Women's teams for first night. Two different teams with two different fanbases.
I wish UCONN would go back to the Midnigth Madness format with just the Men's team. No word association games, mixed drills etc. Just basketball and a scrimmage.

Reaction Score
Nostical, that was really well done. I'd also like to see them give unsold tickets 2 inner city middle schools and help the schools bus deserving students in. Need to get creative as you say.
I think they need to change the game time to wait until the stands are full. Just offer free beer to get them inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom