The NCAA has no rules against coaches mistreating their players? | The Boneyard

The NCAA has no rules against coaches mistreating their players?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The NCAA has no rules against coaches mistreating their players. Really?! I can't find any rules but I can't believe their are no rules. I was reading about the fine line between sarcasm and verbal abuse when in this article (Advocates say UNC's hiring of coach accused of abuse points to lack of NCAA oversight) the author claims there are rules against coaches mistreating their players. Does anyone have knowledge of the rules. I have been searching the NCAA rules but I must admit I can't find any rules regarding players mistreatment other than playing with injuries. Univ, of Vermont situation got me started.

April 2, 2018
The University of Vermont is investigating the verbal conduct of its women's basketball coach, Chris Day.
Report: UVM women's basketball coach under investigation

October 10th 2013
Georgetown head women's basketball coach Keith Brown resigned Thursday, the school announced, amid allegations that he has consistently verbally abused his players over the past several seasons.
Keith Brown resigns as Georgetown women’s basketball coach

JULY 22, 2016
George Washington University announced Thursday that "it is bringing in outside counsel" to investigate accusations that men's basketball head coach Mike Lonergan emotionally and verbally abused his players.
George Washington to Investigate Coach Mike Lonergan for Emotional, Verbal Abuse

September 1, 2016
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill came under fire last week for hiring a volunteer assistant who had been accused of abusing players at the University of Illinois. The NCAA has no rules against coaches mistreating their players. (Interesting!)
Advocates say UNC's hiring of coach accused of abuse points to lack of NCAA oversight

2013 Lawsuit
In 2014 case was settled out of court and coach reinstated. Holy Cross officials declined to discuss whether the settlement included any payment to Ms. Cooper.
https://law.marquette.edu/assets/sports-law/pdf/gIBBINS.2614.pdf
Holy Cross player abuse lawsuit settled

Jul 2, 2014
Situation at Charleston shows fine line between motivating and abusing
Once upon a time, a coach could yell and cuss and degrade players in the spirit of motivation. But the times have changed, and Doug Wojcik's situation at Charleston is proof of that.
Situation at Charleston shows fine line between motivating and abusing
What one man calls "hard-coaching" another calls "verbal abuse," and these types of things are rarely as cut-and-dried as the Mike Rice situation at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
It is my understanding as a former coach (baseball) that such rules are the responsibility of the institution & their standards of conduct. I might be mistaken though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom