The myth that there are 5-6 teams head and shoulders above others | The Boneyard

The myth that there are 5-6 teams head and shoulders above others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
keeps getting blasted, with UNC beating Michigan State (on top of Louisville) despite some weak losses.

Arizona looks best, but after that, put:

Duke
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisville
Michigan State
Oklahoma State
Ohio State
Syracuse
UConn
Witchita State
Wisconsin

In a hat, and depending on the day, they could make a deep run. And that's not even counting teams like Florida (if healthy), Villanova (if hot), UNC (I can't explain...), who can also beat everyone.

caw

Reaction Score
It's one if the deepest years in NCAA basketball in awhile. It's not just good top tier (ten) teams, it's a very solid second tier (11-20) as well. It's fun, but the main reason no one should expect a title this year.

You listed 15 teams without mentioning solid teams like Gonzaga, VCU, Memphis, Creighton, UCLA, etc. it's going to be a war in the NCAAT if every team is healthy.

Reaction Score
I would take talented seniors over ultra talented freshmen any day of the week. in or win or go home scenario, experience and maturity supersedes raw talent. advantage uconn!

Reaction Score
It's one if the deepest years in NCAA basketball in awhile. It's not just good top tier (ten) teams, it's a very solid second tier (11-20) as well. It's fun, but the main reason no one should expect a title this year.

You listed 15 teams without mentioning solid teams like Gonzaga, VCU, Memphis, Creighton, UCLA, etc. it's going to be a war in the NCAAT if every team is healthy.
Agreed. I avoided UCLA and Gonzaga because I haven't watched them yet. I'm less sold on Creighton and VCU (although both will be dangerous in the opening rounds). And Memphis is a threat to beat anyone, but they gotta beat someone in the tournament before I put them in that upper level. Oregon is a team I Kasongo'd as well, because I haven't watched them this year.

But your point is wholly correct.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This year reminds me a lot of 2011, where there were about 18 teams that could win it all. I thought Ohio State and Pitt were a little better than everyone else that year, and I would have included BYU in that group if they had not suspended Davies for having premarital sex. But those schools were not that much better than the next group. It came down to a play or two in a lot of games. Kemba looking like he had been smacked by a 2x4 after brushing past Kawhi Leonard is on example. That second Arizona 3 still looks like it is going in on replay.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
According to the transitive property, Belmont is better than Kentucky. Wide open!

Reaction Score
I like how you put the UF (if healthy) but realistically with a healthy team I can see UF going pretty far in the tourney this year I feel like they are underrated especially if their players were not injured.

Granted I only saw them play us and maybe they played their best game but I have to imagine that they will get better by the end of the year and with players coming back from injuries they will probably be a very dangerous team come march

Reaction Score
UNC is a a team who we will not want to see in our bracket. They literally pounded Michigan Staten down low with their big guys. Scored anytime they wanted to down low.

I was shocked how soft MSU looked. They never had control of that game on their home court. For all the talk about Izzo is the best coach in the country he fell to 0-7 vs Roy Williams and usually gets his lunch handed to him when he faces UNC and Duke.

Reaction Score
Agree with this. there are probably 10-15 teams that "could" win it all and another 10 that can beat you on any given night. And to some degree it will come down to who plays who when. More than most years I think brackets will be very important because with the right matchups, it will be possible to make a deep run, with the wrong one a high seed could be out pretty early.

MSU is a bridesmaid team I think. Really have been for a decade. Something is missing in East Lansing.

Reaction Score
MSU is a bridesmaid team I think. Really have been for a decade. Something is missing in East Lansing.
A great description of them. Great at making deep runs, lucked out that Kenyon Martin broke his leg...

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
The something missing in East Lansing is NBA-level players, most years. Have to go back to Zach Randolph to find a really solid one, unless I'm forgetting someone. Hard to win it all in college without future pros.

Reaction Score
The something missing in East Lansing is NBA-level players, most years. Have to go back to Zach Randolph to find a really solid one, unless I'm forgetting someone. Hard to win it all in college without future pros.
Jason Richardson came out the same year and was a very good pro.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/richaja01.html

But you're right, what other good pros have they produced since then?

caw

Reaction Score
D. green on the Warriors is a solid player, not a star though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members