The must-try sandwich in every state... | The Boneyard

The must-try sandwich in every state...

Reaction Score

Connecticut: Hot Lobster Roll, Abbott’s Lobster in the Rough (Noank)

Steaming lobsters and other shellfish since 1947, Abbott’s is one of America’s best seafood shacks, turning out stellar lobster rolls in a handful of increasing sizes. Its Famous Hot Lobster Roll comes with a quarter-pound of butter-soaked lobster on a toasted bun. The OMG Hot Lobster Roll boasts almost a half-pound, while the LOL Hot Lobster Roll packs in a full pound of lobster.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I clicked through that thread.

You know what I learned (and I knew this already so I should say confirmed)

There are about 43-44 states that I will NEVER order a sandwich in.

Reaction Score

Damn... I was waiting for an Arby location map.

Reaction Score
A couple takeaways...

1) Any sandwich that has french fries or mac and cheese on it is for noobs. Starchy fillers that takeaway from what really makes a sandwich special.

2) Wyoming's best sandwich is egg salad? Gawd. Remind me never to go to Wyoming hungry. I can still remember opening my lunch, seeing an egg salad sandwich in there and groaning as a kid.

p.s. - in before stupid Dove comments and uses the term "sammie".

August_West

Reaction Score
p.s. - in before stupid Dove comments and uses the term "sammie".

I dont know if that dummy can even find his way to this section of the boneyard so hopefully we are safe

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Have to object to the Oyster Po Boy in Louisiana. No way does "dressed" mean ketchup and mayo. I've neve even heard of a po boy with ketchup. Dressed po boys should be tomato and pickle only.

Glad to see the Cuban in Miami didn't include mayo and uses yellow mustard. You can get away with a mild brown mustard but using the wrong mustard is one of the easiest ways to screw up a Cuban.

Lol at states with Italian grinders or hoagies as their best sandwich.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I only came up with a dozen definite "no"s. Wyoming certainly tops that list with WV hot behind. And any state west of Philly or north of Boston trying to pass off something like an Italian hoagie. And Hawai'i because the bread sucks everywhere. But there were also a good dozen or so sandwiches I'd never thought of that I'd try and a bunch that sounded good, but if I were in the area, I'd probably opt for something else (I'm sure Bianco's caprese is genius, but I'd get the pizza, and otherwise eat AZ-Mex.)

I'm bummed that Manny's didn't exist when I was in Mpls often in the early-mid 90s. I want to live near a Manny's.

But to Deepster's point, I loathe the trend of starchs in/on starches. We even have starches within starches on other starches here (potato pierogi in a sandwich). Thankfully Primanti's didn't rep PA on that list. Our biggest gas/convenience store chain (Sheetz) had a successful campaign introducing tater tots on their sandwiches.

And that's why Trump will carry PA again ;-)

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
Have to object to the Oyster Po Boy in Louisiana. No way does "dressed" mean ketchup and mayo. I've neve even heard of a po boy with ketchup. Dressed po boys should be tomato and pickle only.

Glad to see the Cuban in Miami didn't include mayo and uses yellow mustard. You can get away with a mild brown mustard but using the wrong mustard is one of the easiest ways to screw up a Cuban.

Lol at states with Italian grinders or hoagies as their best sandwich.

A New Jersey Italian Hoagie is legit.

Never should be listed anywhere else.

Did you see Maines LOL Lobster roll with the Big dollop of mayo on the side? They should be ashamed

Reaction Score
Did you see Maines LOL Lobster roll with the Big dollop of mayo on the side? They should be ashamed

So, this supports my general defense of lobster rolls. It's not difficult to make a delicious lobster roll. They're expensive and arguably not anywhere near worth the actual cost of the ingredients. But....the lobster roll "experience" is usually more than the sandwich. It's a beautiful evening, near the shore, enjoying the summer, great view, cold beer....and the lobster roll is the punch that brings it home. You pay for all of that.

Evidence to support that? Here is the Lobster Shack at Two Lights that they reference in the article:

sunset-at-the-lobster.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...Because they serve nothing but egg salad in Wyoming?

August_West

Reaction Score
So, this supports my general defense of lobster rolls. It's not difficult to make a delicious lobster roll. They're expensive and arguably not anywhere near worth the actual cost of the ingredients. But....the lobster roll "experience" is usually more than the sandwich. It's a beautiful evening, near the shore, enjoying the summer, great view, cold beer....and the lobster roll is the punch that brings it home. You pay for all of that.

Evidence to support that? Here is the Lobster Shack at Two Lights that they reference in the article:

I dont care if you are sitting on top of the Azores.

You still have to contend with this.

A pickle and a pile of white goop?

lob.JPG

Reaction Score
Oh, I know. The line looks like this from open to close.

lobster-shack.jpg

I've waited in that line a handful of times and would do it again. A cold Shipyard eases the pain.

August_West

Reaction Score
Oh, I know. The line looks like this from open to close.

lobster-shack.jpg

I've waited in that line a handful of times and would do it again. A cold Shipyard eases the pain.

what a rag tag collection of custies that is.

Look at my pic above. 30 bucks!!!! Its the size of a Thimble.

Custie up!

Reaction Score
what a rag tag collection of custies that is.

Look at my pic above. 30 bucks!!!! Its the size of a Thimble.

Custie up!
I don't know why I crave filet-o-fish at times because it's not very good. I had to give this a try. Not bad. 2 fer $6.

Attachments

• arby.jpg
    arby.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 202

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
2) Wyoming's best sandwich is egg salad? Gawd. Remind me never to go to Wyoming hungry. I can still remember opening my lunch, seeing an egg salad sandwich in there and groaning as a kid.
I remember a Leave It to Beaver when Eddie Haskell was thrilled when he was asked to stay for lunch, until he found out lunch was egg salad. He says, "Hey Wally, how bout next time, your Mom makes sandwiches with a little meat in 'em."

August_West

Reaction Score
I don't know why I crave filet-o-fish at times because it's not very good. I had to give this a try. Not bad. 2 fer $6.
Welcome to flavortown

Reaction Score
On my way back home from a business trip, went out of my way a bit to hit Dalessandro's in Philly for this - cheese steak, 12" role, chopped steak, cheese wiz, grilled onions, grilled peppers. A bit late for lunchtime, but the place was crowed with college students, a few suits (including me), a bunch of delivery guys (FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc.) and a few police officers. Figured it would be good. It was.

Dalessandro's cheesesteak.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I got to the Florida Cuban and stopped right there. Nice.

On a side note, the Smashburger I went to gets and F. In this day and age:
  1. Single person bathroom with a hand operated lock on the door.
  2. Hand operated flush
  3. Hand operated faucet
  4. Air dryer
It makes no sense. you have to use freaking Tyler Phommachanh to unlock and open the door.

Reaction Score

Nailed it Deepster!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm still obsessed with Wyoming. The last time I was at the watering hole I brought up the egg salad thing and one guy started shaking his head and wouldn't believe me. "That's prison food!" he said. I'll take he word for it as he's a retired CO.

Reaction Score

Connecticut: Hot Lobster Roll, Abbott’s Lobster in the Rough (Noank)

Steaming lobsters and other shellfish since 1947, Abbott’s is one of America’s best seafood shacks, turning out stellar lobster rolls in a handful of increasing sizes. Its Famous Hot Lobster Roll comes with a quarter-pound of butter-soaked lobster on a toasted bun. The OMG Hot Lobster Roll boasts almost a half-pound, while the LOL Hot Lobster Roll packs in a full pound of lobster.
I've been to Abbotts a few times. Every time the lobster rolls had a fishy taste like the lobster has been sitting around in the heat for a while. There are a lot places that serve better lobster rolls in CT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom