OT - the Musselman story SPORTS ILLUSTRATED | The Boneyard

OT - the Musselman story SPORTS ILLUSTRATED

Reaction Score
Nevada coach Eric Musselman is his father's son

Quintessential Albany homer story (I’m from there) whereby Tim Layden, a renowned sportswriter from Albany originally, digs into his past where he met the mad man Bill Musselman.

Eric Musselman - like Calhoun - is on his way to Program builder status. The Innovation? Treat CBB like NBA free agency and promise NBA potential to talented kids via transfer route. He’s doing it better than it’s ever been done. And the Musselman legacy is incredible. Father and son coached at an intense level

Like JC. And maybe Hurley. Actually Randy Edsall should learn this mercenary routine.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Quintessential Albany homer story (I’m from there) whereby Tim Layden, a renowned sportswriter from Albany originally, digs into his past where he met the mad man Bill Musselman.

Eric Musselman - like Calhoun - is on his way to Program builder status. The Innovation? Treat CBB like NBA free agency and promise NBA potential to talented kids via transfer route. He’s doing it better than it’s ever been done. And the Musselman legacy is incredible. Father and son coached at an intense level

Like JC. And maybe Hurley. Actually Randy Edsall should learn this mercenary routine.

Bill Snyder built Kansas State into a respectable program (and one bad half from a nc game berth) by going the transfer route. Although he did it wih a lot of juco transfers

Reaction Score
Bill Snyder built Kansas State into a respectable program (and one bad half from a nc game berth) by going the transfer route. Although he did it wih a lot of juco transfers

I would say that Snyder had a comparative advantage. In CFB, I think it matters that Snyder was near the potent Kansas & Texas JUCO teams. Plus then California kids saw it as viable path.

Strictly on CFB, Edsall has advantages. He’s near the Growing solid Prep Schools Development. But we have a Program in NE and not far from NYC - with Playing time capacity; Need to really manage that 85 guy roster extraordinarily in the next 18 months.

Hurley? We shall see.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I would say that Snyder had a comparative advantage. In CFB, I think it matters that Snyder was near the potent Kansas & Texas JUCO teams. Plus then California kids saw it as viable path.

Strictly on CFB, Edsall has advantages. He’s near the Growing solid Prep Schools Development. But we have a Program in NE and not far from NYC - with Playing time capacity; Need to really manage that 85 guy roster extraordinarily in the next 18 months.

Hurley? We shall see.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard manahattan Kansas is an advantage.

Reaction Score
This is the first time I’ve ever heard manahattan Kansas is an advantage.

If you could go to any JUCO in the country - all things being equal - you don't go to the Kansas football ones. But all things aren't equal. Coaching, facilities, tradition, competition ... and Kansas State.

Reaction Score

Hurley? We shall see.

The future is brighter for Hurley than Edsall

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Great story, he’s in that line of upstate/north country coaching tree, is he not? With Carlisle, the Van Gundys...

I like Musselman a lot.

Obligatory shout out to NY.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Great story, he’s in that line of upstate/north country coaching tree, is he not? With Carlisle, the Van Gundys...
The Van Gundys are the pride of my hometown, Martinez, CA.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of upstate connectivity. Tim Welch’s Father was a SUNY Coach. Pitino is around frequently in the Saratoga season. The Boeheim tree.

But the Albany Patroon gang - tied to the County Executive Jim Coyne who went to jail for graft - was Phil Jackson & Charlie Rosen & George Karl & the Musselmans. Bill Musselman was an incredible man and story. My father was a coach in college - which meant we had a green card that got us in all college & HS games free. Then the CBA. Great fun rite of passage

Reaction Score
The Van Gundys are the pride of my hometown, Martinez, CA.

The Van Gundy’s father coached in Rochester, NY - not sure the years

“son of a basketball coach, Bill Van Gundy, the former head coach at Brockport State University in Western New York.”

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

“son of a basketball coach, Bill Van Gundy, the former head coach at Brockport State University in Western New York.”

Yeah I know a bunch of guys and D3 coaches in this area that played for or coached with Van Gundys.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Yep. And the boys grew up,in Martinez, CA. Both are true.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom