The Most Elegant Play Ever Performed on a Basketball Court | The Boneyard

The Most Elegant Play Ever Performed on a Basketball Court

Reaction Score
You read that right. What's more, it's the single most elegant play that ever will be performed because it is a perfect play. This play is so perfect, teams can't execute it even in practice like this ... running at half speed ... being guarded by chairs! But this isn't practice. This isn't even an exhibition game against a DII opponent. This isn't even a middle of the week, grind it out against a middle of the pack opponent in late January/early February. This isn't even Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight regional play in the tournament. No, this play was executed in the game that carried the highest stakes: the National Championship. The opponent was so tough they were undefeated. And yet, under all that adversity, under all that pressure, against all that ability arrayed against them, they performed to perfection. If this were gymnastics, they would have been awarded a 10. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself. [Sorry but I don't know how to isolate the play but below is a link to the game. Find the point where there's about 15:12 or so to go in the second half (time remaining is shown at the bottom of the screen).]

The play is set up when Hartley launches a 3 point shot. At 15:09 Dolson rebounds the miss and passes back to Bria. Hartley dribbles 4 times while the Huskies get into position. Jefferson, top of the key. Hartley and KML, opposite sides, foul line depth, beyond the arc. Dolson, baseline, KML side. Stewie, inside the key above foul line.

Then it happens.
15:05 Hartley to Jefferson
15:04 Jefferson to KML
15:03 KML bounce to Dolson. Stewie cuts down the lane.
15:02 Dolson bounce to Stewie in the lane.
15:01 Stewie left-handed lay-up for the score.

All five players touch the ball. 4 passes, 2 bounces, through the hoop. Nobody except Stewie takes a step. The prosecution rests.

Reaction Score
I thought this was gonna be about Ogunbowale knocking down a 3 at the buzzer in the final four.

Reaction Score
You read that right. What's more, it's the single most elegant play that ever will be performed because it is a perfect play. This play is so perfect, teams can't execute it even in practice like this ... running at half speed ... being guarded by chairs! But this isn't practice. This isn't even an exhibition game against a DII opponent. This isn't even a middle of the week, grind it out against a middle of the pack opponent in late January/early February. This isn't even Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight regional play in the tournament. No, this play was executed in the game that carried the highest stakes: the National Championship. The opponent was so tough they were undefeated. And yet, under all that adversity, under all that pressure, against all that ability arrayed against them, they performed to perfection. If this were gymnastics, they would have been awarded a 10. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself. [Sorry but I don't know how to isolate the play but below is a link to the game. Find the point where there's about 15:12 or so to go in the second half (time remaining is shown at the bottom of the screen).]

The play is set up when Hartley launches a 3 point shot. At 15:09 Dolson rebounds the miss and passes back to Bria. Hartley dribbles 4 times while the Huskies get into position. Jefferson, top of the key. Hartley and KML, opposite sides, foul line depth, beyond the arc. Dolson, baseline, KML side. Stewie, inside the key above foul line.

Then it happens.

All five players touch the ball. 4 passes, 2 bounces, through the hoop. Nobody except Stewie takes a step. The prosecution rests.

Thanks for posting this game..I was lucky enough to be at the game and enjoyed watching it again...

Reaction Score
The best part of that sequence is Muffet Mcgraw's look after that play.

1619977540078.png

Reaction Score
It's the stare imperfection offers perfection.

You really should change your play-by-play:

Then it happens.
14:56 Muffet Mcgraw starts thinking about retirement.

Reaction Score
14:56 Muffet Mcgraw starts thinking about retirement.

And I thought the play was perfect!!

Reaction Score
Thank you for that video. I rewatched the whole game. I had forgotten the game Dolson had. 17 points, 16 boards and 6 assists. At different times Geno had Dolson, Stewart and Stokes as the front court. It made me think of Liv, Dorka and AE potentially together at times this coming year. It's a great option to have to just pound it underneath. That was one great team in 2014 and they played relentlessly.

Reaction Score
In addition to the most elegant play, it's just been brought to my attention (by me while looking for something else) that UConn is also the only team that's ever achieved perfection. I don't mean an undefeated season, obviously others have done that -- not nearly as often as the Huskies of course. No, in 2009-10 UConn achieved a different kind of perfection in addition to being undefeated. In some ways even more difficult than not losing because it's only been done once.

For the entire season, every single sports writer and every single coach that voted in the two most prominent national polls made UConn their choice as #1. From the preseason to the ESPN poll after the championship game not a single one of those experts thought some other team was worthy of that honor. Prior to the start of the season all thought UConn would be the best. Game after game, week after week all continued to believe the Huskies were the best. Not a single contrarian for an entire season. It's not a national title but it's definitely something, it's definitely special.

Reaction Score
In addition to the most elegant play, it's just been brought to my attention (by me while looking for something else) that UConn is also the only team that's ever achieved perfection. I don't mean an undefeated season, obviously others have done that -- not nearly as often as the Huskies of course. No, in 2009-10 UConn achieved a different kind of perfection in addition to being undefeated. In some ways even more difficult than not losing because it's only been done once.

For the entire season, every single sports writer and every single coach that voted in the two most prominent national polls made UConn their choice as #1. From the preseason to the ESPN poll after the championship game not a single one of those experts thought some other team was worthy of that honor. Prior to the start of the season all thought UConn would be the best. Game after game, week after week all continued to believe the Huskies were the best. Not a single contrarian for an entire season. It's not a national title but it's definitely something, it's definitely special.
Someone else would have made a separate banner for it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Then it happens.

Hopefully you realize that UCONN has used this same play many times since then.
The last time being against Syracuse in tournament this year. The play starts with 1:15 left in the third quarter.
This version had.
Paige initiating to Christyn
Christyn back to Paige
Paige to Anna
Anna to Aubrey
Aubrey back to Paige
Paige to Christyn
Christyn to Aaliyah
Aaliyah to Aubrey for the layup.
All of that was execute in under 8 seconds.

Reaction Score
Too many good ones to choose from!
Agree, and no attack on the OP but it comes down to Geno / Uconn philosophy of passing over dribbling. I refer to it as a basketball ballet and have seen hundreds of these types of plays over the years. Not all include four passes but what is needed at the time or called for in the situation, time and again the ladies put on a show.
As for the look on Muffy's face, it's what good coaches are able to do when not wanting to show admiration for an opponent in front of their team. ;)

Reaction Score
Hopefully you realize that UCONN has used this same play many times since then.
The last time being against Syracuse in tournament this year. The play starts with 1:15 left in the third quarter.
This version had.
Paige initiating to Christyn
Christyn back to Paige
Paige to Anna
Anna to Aubrey
Aubrey back to Paige
Paige to Christyn
Christyn to Aaliyah
Aaliyah to Aubrey for the layup.
All of that was execute in under 8 seconds.

One-upper! :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom