The Month Ahead... | The Boneyard

The Month Ahead...

Reaction Score
  • 12/4 vs. Iona (Gampel)
    • A must win, with an 81% chance according to ESPN's power index. No excuses at Gampel.
  • 12/10 vs. Indiana (Madison Square Garden)
    • A toss up, with a 48% chance according to ESPN's power index.
    • Indiana's capabilities are fairly unknown at this point. Nevertheless, they've taken care of business with a 7-0 record. Before entering MSG next week, they will face #17 Florida State, and an unranked Wisconsin team still trying to find its identity. Both games will be a test for Indiana who is currently receiving AP votes without any notable wins. Regardless, we'll either be facing a T-25 team, or at the very least, one on the fringe. This will be a great opportunity for the Huskies to take advantage of our "neutral home" court advantage at MSG, while securing a resume building win in the process.
If we can take down Iona and Indiana, we're likely back in the Top-25 for the first time since November 6, 2017 (756 Days, 108 weeks, 25 months). Typically, I'm not one to care about the AP rankings in December, but in order to bring our brand back to life, this is a huge step for the program to continue being "right on track." The best part is, we would be sitting pretty for the remainder of the month with three "buy" games:
  • 12/18 vs. Saint Peter's (XL Center)
    • A must win, with a 95% chance according to ESPN's power index.
  • 12/22 vs. UNH (XL Center)
    • A must win, with a 93% chance according to ESPN's power index.
  • 12/29 vs. NJIT (XL Center)
    • A must win, with a 92% chance according to ESPN's power index.
Success in 2020 has always been our goal with Hurley, and this is a great way to expedite the process as we head into the new year. The month of December is massive for us, and arguably the most important yet attainable month in quite some time. This is the first time in a while that I've looked forward to a UConn stretch like this, and think it's the perfect opportunity to put the Huskies at 10-2 entering conference play. If all goes according to plan this month, we enter 2020 as a team with 1 fluke loss to St. Joes (without Bouknight), and a team who barely fell to Xavier in double overtime. Our AAC foes will not be looking forward to seeing us in our farewell season, and we will be a legitimate contender to win the American.

LET'S TAKE ADVANTAGE.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Thanks for the solid summary. I would love for you to be right, but I don't think we crack the top 25 with a win over IU. I think we make our way into the others receiving votes category and chip away from there.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the solid summary. I would love for you to be right, but I don't think we crack the top 25 with a win over IU. I think we make our way into the others receiving votes category and chip away from there.
Maybe if no one else in the 15-25 range loses games over the next few weeks, but I don't think that's all that likely just given how many surprising losses there has seemed to be so far in the young season

Reaction Score
I think a lot of this rides on Indiana's next two games. If we defeat a ranked Hoosier's squad who was 9-0, we're a team with two solid T-25 wins (nearly 3 if it weren't for a few mental errors against Xavier in 2OT). That's a better resume than most right now.

Reaction Score
No matter what happens with IU, a win against a B10 school is huge. Lets hope we get to see them at 9-0, though. Also, lets see DH draw up more plays for Akok.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think we need to run the table this month to have a shot at the tourney.

Reaction Score
We'll beat Indiana but I don't see IU beating FSU even though it's a home game.

Reaction Score
We will not be ranked when we beat Indiana. We beat #15 and got two votes because some guy in Texas fat fingered a trade. We lose in double OT to a ranked Xavier, beat Buffalo and Miami same week and went from receiving two votes to receiving zero votes and ranked around 55-60. Now we beat a 200 ranked Iona and an unranked Indiana and we're top 25? I don't think so. I think we're ranked at some point this year but the next two games don't get us there. Unless every team ranked 18-25 loses next week.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I think the double overtime loss to Xavier shows our strength as much as any wins.
True, but sadly they now are just another unranked team as is Florida.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
we're likely back in the Top-25 for the first time since November 6, 2017
Possibly, but a lot of other teams are going to have to take hits. Those two victories could put us in the 40's.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
True, but sadly they now are just another unranked team.
And our Florida win looks less impressive after they struggled at home against Marshall. We still have a ways to go.

Reaction Score
Miami plays at 6-1 Illinois tonight at 7 on ESPN2. Go Hurricanes!

dog%20hurricane%20forecast_1567529437024.JPG_22235252_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Reaction Score
Note to posters who think they post interesting and informative takes.....

Be more like this guy.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Rule of thumb: any milestone or accomplishment this team could achieve is considerably less likely than the Boneyard suggests.

Reaction Score
No matter what happens with IU, a win against a B10 school is huge. Lets hope we get to see them at 9-0, though. Also, lets see DH draw up more plays for Akok.
Looks like we might see a ranked Indiana at MSG. Exciting times!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom