The Mighty Thor | The Boneyard

The Mighty Thor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
image.jpg

http://theamerican.org/news/2015/8/17/FB_0817151652.aspx?path=

Confident Andreas Knappe will be a HUGE force and Great leader of the Offensive Line this year!

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Yes. Because Denmark and Norway are the same place!!
I don't think you have to be from the same place as people who believed in a god to have that god's name as your nickname.

Also, in American culture, Thor is definitely more widely known as a superhero/god from a different planet at this point. Noah Syndergaard is from Texas. That doesn't stop people from being hammers to Citi Field when he pitches.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If the "Norway vs Denmark" comment was on where Thor was viewed as a god, the reality is that Thor was a norse god and for quite some time (even during the Viking era) Denmark was the center of norse culture.

Reaction Score
If the "Norway vs Denmark" comment was on where Thor was viewed as a god, the reality is that Thor was a norse god and for quite some time (even during the Viking era) Denmark was the center of norse culture.

See, that's what brings me back to the Boneyard. Live and learn.

Without even looking it up, I will take FCF's word for it and stand corrected. My apologies. (and for most everyone else here -- see how easy that it is.)

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
See, that's what brings me back to the Boneyard. Live and learn.

Without even looking it up, I will take FCF's word for it and stand corrected. My apologies. (and for most everyone else here -- see how easy that it is.)
I was going to say the same thing about Norse mythology being based in Denmark but I wasn't positive. I think Norse mythology was a Germanic thing, which is now spread out across all those countries that I tend to lump together in my head, Denmark and Norway being chief among them. Mythology and history aren't really my thing though.

Reaction Score
I was going to say the same thing about Norse mythology being based in Denmark but I wasn't positive. I think Norse mythology was a Germanic thing, which is now spread out across all those countries that I tend to lump together in my head, Denmark and Norway being chief among them. Mythology and history aren't really my thing though.

LOL. You didn't. FCF did. You don't get to share his credit for showing I had no clue what I was talking about. (Not that that was such a long shot to begin with.)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Totally pumped for his start against the O's tonight!

Ooops. Wrong Thor.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If the graphic stated that UConn dreamed big on a Danish God this discussion might have some merit. Since it says "a six foot nine archer from Denmark", it's a question of fact vice a subjective point of cultural anthropology. Is Knappe from Denmark?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
"Valhala. Lets hope Ron Johnson turns into Oden."
I like it. Maybe Carrezzola can channel a little Loki.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom