Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
UConn Womens Soccer player suspended for on-air gesture

LINK

Reaction Score
I entirely agree with warbler 13. This was nothing more than an impulsive, youthful indiscretion and the punishment is waaaaay too harsh. Our " holier than thou" forget what it was like to be young. Again, not to excuse her behavior, but the penalty ought to be more consistent with the relatively minor offense.
Thank you!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't care about intent. We don't need the bad press. Plus, she took the spotlight off a great team win. I wouldn't care if she never suited up again.

Reaction Score
cookie447 said:
I entirely agree with warbler 13. This was nothing more than an impulsive, youthful indiscretion and the punishment is waaaaay too harsh. Our " holier than thou" forget what it was like to be young. Again, not to excuse her behavior, but the penalty ought to be more consistent with the relatively minor offense.
Thank you!

Youthful indiscretion or not, the young lady represents the University of Connecticut and the game was televized. I was raised to behave a certain way, and one of the harshest punishments I received as a youth was when I flipped the bird to my sister. As my mother informed me, she disapproved of that behavior and I would have been punished regardless, but the fact that I did it in the front yard in front of watching neighbors was what I received the double whammy for. You just didn't do that in public view.

It saddens me that this kind of behavior has become accepted or excused as inoffensive and impulsive. I hear 6 year olds use word more often than please and thank you.

I respect UConn and the coach for meting out a punishment that sends a message to this and other athletes. Indefinitely simply means they want her to realize that the behavior will not be tolerated. I am certain once they are sure the message has been received she will be reinstated.

And I know all about harsh and unfair punishments. When some of my high school "drill teammates" were drunk and we performed a basketball halftime show that was funny as heck to them but mortified the rest of us who were sober, the principal met us as we l left the court. He marched is to his office and did a "breathalyzer" test - breathing in his face. That was humiliating enough. But he then suspended the entire team for half of the performances that season. Me and a few of the other seniors who did not partake in pregame refreshments pleaded with the principal to let those of us who were not under the influence perform the full schedule, but he stuck to his guns that it was a team punishment since some of the girls were at the party and it was impossible to know who was there and who wasn't. It stunk, but I survived it as will she.

Reaction Score
I don't care about intent. We don't need the bad press. Plus, she took the spotlight off a great team win. I wouldn't care if she never suited up again.
"Never" seems kind of harsh to me. If the media is making a big thing of this then they need to get lives. To paraphrase Allen Iverson " It's the finger man, we're sitting here talking about the finger."

Reaction Score
Back in 2005/2006 Apx. Uconn men played a game at West Virginia on CBS. In the final minute Hilton Armstrong got a defensive rebound and was fouled to stop the clock, since Uconn had the lead.

As he walked down the court with the camera on him a WVU student yelled "Go back to Africa" in which you saw Armstong flip the bird in the direction of the student section.

There was no suspension, even though it was a different circumstance.

Just saying this isn't the first time this has happened for a Uconn athlete.

Reaction Score
"Never" seems kind of harsh to me. If the media is making a big thing of this then they need to get lives. To paraphrase Allen Iverson " It's the finger man, we're sitting here talking about the finger."
It's just half a peace sign. :confused:

Reaction Score
Youthful indiscretion or not, the young lady represents the University of Connecticut and the game was televized. I was raised to behave a certain way, and one of the harshest punishments I received as a youth was when I flipped the bird to my sister. As my mother informed me, she disapproved of that behavior and I would have been punished regardless, but the fact that I did it in the front yard in front of watching neighbors was what I received the double whammy for. You just didn't do that in public view.

It saddens me that this kind of behavior has become accepted or excused as inoffensive and impulsive. I hear 6 year olds use word more often than please and thank you.

I respect UConn and the coach for meting out a punishment that sends a message to this and other athletes. Indefinitely simply means they want her to realize that the behavior will not be tolerated. I am certain once they are sure the message has been received she will be reinstated.

And I know all about harsh and unfair punishments. When some of my high school "drill teammates" were drunk and we performed a basketball halftime show that was funny as heck to them but mortified the rest of us who were sober, the principal met us as we l left the court. He marched is to his office and did a "breathalyzer" test - breathing in his face. That was humiliating enough. But he then suspended the entire team for half of the performances that season. Me and a few of the other seniors who did not partake in pregame refreshments pleaded with the principal to let those of us who were not under the influence perform the full schedule, but he stuck to his guns that it was a team punishment since some of the girls were at the party and it was impossible to know who was there and who wasn't. It stunk, but I survived it as will she.
Bravo UCC, couldn't have said it better myself.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Better the finger in the air than a punch to the nose. But I draw the line at a finger to the nose.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hypothetical: Stewart gets frustrated and flips the bird to the Notre Dame section after a hard-fought FF semifinal game with SC waiting in the final. Does Stewart get suspended for the final?

Reaction Score
Hypothetical: Stewart gets frustrated and flips the bird to the Notre Dame section after a hard-fought FF semifinal game with SC waiting in the final. Does Stewart get suspended for the final?

hypothetical.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Stewie never gets frustrated... her team is up 25

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
hypotheticals that will never happen

Stewart gets frustrated by ND
hard fought semi with ND
SC waiting in the final

Reaction Score
The idea is not to recruit these types and not tolerate any such kind of behavior.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Interesting viewpoints. BG got two games for rearranging Hardcastle's nose with a punch, and the New Mexico soccer player who dragged an opponent down by the hair after a gameful of thuggish behavior also got two games. But an indefinite suspension that some here think is too lenient gets imposed for mindlessly flipping the bird in the general direction of an ESPNU camera? That's an act that many Huskies fans have dreamed about doing during all the realignment tumult.

Johnny Manziel gets a week of highlighting in the news and gets no suspension, just a small fine from the NFL, for flipping it. Terrell Suggs makes money from a t-shirt flipping off the Steelers. Maybe there's some confusing lessons out there nowadays.

Fact is, bird-flipping is quite common with kids these days, often used among friends as a jibe-like response and not one that means some kind of hateful act as some here leap to qualify it as. It's also true in a world where cameras are running continuously all around us we have less chance of any privacy in our actions or any recourse from extreme punishments if the media picks it up and Inspector Javert types take action.

Apparently at one time Diana Taurasi could get away with bird flipping on the court if the story of an imbecile Cuse fan is to be believed, who after taunting her viciously the whole game was surprised to get that gesture, and allowing him to claim a reason for hating UConn the rest of his so-called life.

I'm more concerned about vicious abusive language that coaches use on their young players on many fields from Little League through college that never is called to task about unless a video of a bounce pass off the head is available, than I am about a dumb and unfortunate youthful gesture. The first can do untold amounts of damage, the second is harmless unless a media source grabs it and decides to have a field day with it at a kid's expense. Best response in these cases is just have the coaches take all of the athletes aside and tell them these gestures are not allowed on the playing field. No reason to impose capital punishment on a player's career at a school.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
A youthful indiscretion is one thing, in front of the cameras during the celebration of the championship game is another. I would not be surprised if she suits up for the game after next (if there is one, and I hope there is). I bet her parents gave her an earful, which she earned by acting like a jerk. And the coach gave his opinion also, I am sure. It's a happy moment, why act the fool?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I didn't read the whole thread but the comments regarding "i agree with suspended indefinitely" and "if she never plays again I'll be fine with that" - seriously?? Lest we forget, MANY UCONN women's hoops players have been caught mouthing the "f-word" on national TV. Not just at a soccer game, where few were watching, but on national TV. Dee and Stef come to mind immediately but i'm sure there are others who have done it and been caught. Should they have been booted off the team or never allowed to play again?

I mean come on. Who hasn't flipped off a stupid driver who cut us off, or dropped -bomb on occasion when riled up? Let's give these 17-20 year olds a break...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Better the finger in the air than a punch to the nose. But I draw the line at a finger to the nose.
Bravo - self deprecation in that you poked fun at Griner, who we all know you love and respect. That was funny!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't read the whole thread but the comments regarding "i agree with suspended indefinitely" and "if she never plays again I'll be fine with that" - seriously?? Lest we forget, MANY UCONN women's hoops players have been caught mouthing the "f-word" on national TV. Not just at a soccer game, where few were watching, but on national TV. Dee and Stef come to mind immediately but i'm sure there are others who have done it and been caught. Should they have been booted off the team or never allowed to play again?

I mean come on. Who hasn't flipped off a stupid driver who cut us off, or dropped -bomb on occasion when riled up? Let's give these 17-20 year olds a break...

Me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul