OT - the MIDDLE finger | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - the MIDDLE finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow, I guess you can throw the first stone then. A guy a way long back warned about doing that though. Turns out that though we may not flip birds or throw F-bombs, there isn't a living human with a thinking mind who can't be called to task for something. Maybe compassion is a dying quality these days.
Totally agree... In fairness, though, I'm not sure that Pal was passing judgement or calling for a lifetime expulsion for the player. Maybe he was just pointing out he's totally Zen and never flips anyone off in traffic! ;) (or maybe it's a she)...

Reaction Score
One thing to remember in these hypothetical situations that people bring up is that in the Noriana Radwan case the finger was directed straight at a TV camera and its viewing audience after the match was over. It was not a case of a camera just happening to catch a player doing it in reaction to something happening on the court or in the stands, which would also be similar to a microphone capturing something that was said. That to me is a distinction in this case, and no doubt helped to decide the severity of the punishment.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Well put me down as part of the group that's okay with it. Personally, one game seems about right, but the coach was making a statement. Representing an organization means that your behavior becomes their behavior. It was a stupid thing to do and the only statement out makes about this kid is that she's young. I feel badly for her because I'm sure that she is mortified. Still I understand where the coach is coming from.

Reaction Score
Wow, I guess you can throw the first stone then. A guy a way long back warned about doing that though. Turns out that though we may not flip birds or throw F-bombs, there isn't a living human with a thinking mind who can't be called to task for something. Maybe compassion is a dying quality these days.
I have no intention of throwing stones, nor do I profess to be any better or worse than anyone else. I was only answering EricSanDiego's question, and not making a judgment on the young ladies suspension. My opinion on the suspension is that since I know nothing about the lady I have to trust the coaches judgement. If team rules were broken or code of conduct was violated then the suspension was warranted. The length of suspension is up to the people who monitor her behavior, I'm sure the coaches know more about her character than I do.

Reaction Score
Totally agree... In fairness, though, I'm not sure that Pal was passing judgement or calling for a lifetime expulsion for the player. Maybe he was just pointing out he's totally Zen and never flips anyone off in traffic! ;) (or maybe it's a she)...

I am a 76yo male, I think that makes me middle aged on this board. I never saw the point (no pun intended) in flipping someone off and never had the urge to do so.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I am a 76yo male, I think that makes me middle aged on this board. I never saw the point (no pun intended) in flipping someone off and never had the urge to do so.
Then you never have spent time among the Rutgers fans at the RAC. But at least at 76 you still have plenty of time left to know the feeling.

And actually, I have never flipped anyone off either, simply because it was not the custom growing up in my part of CT. bomb on the other hand. . . . . .

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Weird.

Reaction Score
Then you never have spent time among the Rutgers fans at the RAC. But at least at 76 you still have plenty of time left to know the feeling.

And actually, I have never flipped anyone off either, simply because it was not the custom growing up in my part of CT. bomb on the other hand. . . . . .

I have nothing against people who embarrass themselves by dropping bomb, it's just that I use different adjectives. So now I am done discussing me, let's return to the original thread.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have nothing against people who embarrass themselves by dropping bomb,
How is that embarrassing?

it's just that I use different adjectives.
Exactly, it's just a different adjective.

And a noun, and a verb, and an adverb. One of the most versatile words in the English language.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I must admit I have flipped people off in traffic, but I stopped doing it - nowadays you never know who has a gun in the door pocket.

BTW 76 is the new 45
Especially in Arizona - the person you flip off may misinterpret that your finger is a gun and feel threatened.

And while I never did a lot (if any) obscene gesture making (or horn blowing), I actually made a conscious decision not to for the reason you indicate.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
well actually flipping someone off (pulling up beside them) is actually dangerous (unless you have a gun and think you're a bigshot)... dropping -bomb in the privacy of your own car with your windows rolled up looking straight ahead is harmless.
upload_2014-11-14_1-26-50.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How is that embarrassing?

I guess I misunderstood. When Eric said drop bomb, I assumed that meant to do so in front of small children, or in church, etc; I then assumed most people would be embarrassed by doing so. I stand corrected and please accept my apology.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
well actually flipping someone off (pulling up beside them) is actually dangerous (unless you have a gun and think you're a bigshot)... dropping -bomb in the privacy of your own car with your windows rolled up looking straight ahead is harmless.
View attachment 7528
Funny story - I was in my car, being the execeptionally courteous and kind driver that I always am, and one of my children said, Dad that man just gave you the middle finger. I said "No that man gave you the middle finger, because you chose to look at him."

Road rage, like most other rage, is a two way street. If you don't feed it, it won't grow. JMHO.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guess I misunderstood. When Eric said drop bomb, I assumed that meant to do so in front of small children, or in church, etc; I then assumed most people would be embarrassed by doing so. I stand corrected and please accept my apology.
Nothing to apologize about. More curiosity.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Crude and offensive and probably an indicator of her character.

The origin of the middle finger - Wikipedia

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, one game is enough for a stupid finger. It's not like she ran down a break away player and tripped her on purpose, giving her team a penalty kick and costing her team the chance of a last minute tie ... like I did!:( My penalty was the loss of post-season honors. Lesson learned though. Us red heads are hot heads. So don't screw with me. :mad:...;):)

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Giving the finger is hardly a barometer of a person's character. Hasn't Taurasi given the finger a time or two?
and we all agree she has questionable character

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Giving the finger is hardly a barometer of a person's character. Hasn't Taurasi given the finger a time or two?

Though I think Diana's most enduring on court gesture will be "The Kiss"! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom